Injury tracker | The Boneyard

Injury tracker

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Kelly Graves comment sounds particularly ominous.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
WHile Kelly’s comments are not the most encouraging, I know for a fact the team didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express on Sunday night so his knowledge is suspect. My own view is if the trainers thought it was severe, she would not have been on the bench in the second half and/or would have had a big brace on.

Luckily for the Ducks fans, all the Oregon State fans don’t think Ruthie is that critical for their success, I mean after all, OSU is without Kat Tudor and they are rolling right along... eh @Plebe ? :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Looking at the OU fan comments, most think it is not a major injury like an ACL. She was warming up at half time and did not have a brace and tagging a bit of second half insider info from a fan

" Walked by Ruthie on the way out of the stadium no brace. heard her say its sprained to a friend who asked. (I think it was Sabrinas brother)
You probably had a better look on TV but she was moving pretty smoothly in the half time warm up

Also knee stability tests are pretty good in experienced hands. I'm sure they had experienced hands there, but no test is perfect. 80-90% sensitivity I'd guess (10-20% false-negative miss rate)

So, most likely a sprain but that could still be hard to come back from in time for the tournament. :(

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
" Walked by Ruthie on the way out of the stadium no brace. heard her say its sprained to a friend who asked. (I think it was Sabrinas brother)

1550609855467.png

It definitely looked like some sort of sprain. Is it a relatively minor "Grade 1" sprain or is it a "Grade 3" sprain, which is a complete tear of one of the ligaments?

Obviously, we're all hoping for the former.

Reaction Score
At the game, my wife (who is extraordinarily sensitive to knee injuries, wincing at every player's slightest stumble) thought that Ruthy was nursing the knee even before she went down. Looking at the replay, I think she was right - she was slow running the court and never had any aggressive cuts. The actual injury moment was a completely routine moment. I have zero inside information, but I'll wager that it is a "minor" sprain that they were hoping she could play on and found out otherwise.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the game, my wife (who is extraordinarily sensitive to knee injuries, wincing at every player's slightest stumble) thought that Ruthy was nursing the knee even before she went down. Looking at the replay, I think she was right - she was slow running the court and never had any aggressive cuts. The actual injury moment was a completely routine moment. I have zero inside information, but I'll wager that it is a "minor" sprain that they were hoping she could play on and found out otherwise.
I did not see the injury occur. From my understanding, if Hebard was just running down the court and her knee simply gave out, that’s not a good sign.

I am eerily reminded of the career ending knee injury to Tony Bosselli, the former All-Pro tackle of the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was just running downfield, with no one near him, when his knee just buckled.

Reaction Score
WHile Kelly’s comments are not the most encouraging, I know for a fact the team didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express on Sunday night so his knowledge is suspect. My own view is if the trainers thought it was severe, she would not have been on the bench in the second half and/or would have had a big brace on.

Luckily for the Ducks fans, all the Oregon State fans don’t think Ruthie is that critical for their success, I mean after all, OSU is without Kat Tudor and they are rolling right along... eh @Plebe ? :rolleyes:

Odd, I follow several OSU Beaver fan sites/forums/comment sections and I haven't found a single comment from an Oregon State fan that supports/equates to/agrees with/or corresponds to your statement above about Hebert not being critical for Oregon's continued success. Nice fiction.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I did not see the injury occur. From my understanding, if Hebard was just running down the court and her knee simply gave out, that’s not a good sign.

I am eerily reminded of the career ending knee injury to Tony Bosselli, the former All-Pro tackle of the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was just running downfield, with no one near him, when his knee just buckled.
While running down the court her leg moved as if she had stepped on something although there was nothing there on which to step. It was plain to see when the replay was shown.

Reaction Score
Hope it's not serious. Contrary to a previous posting, IMHO she is a crucial part of the team.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Odd, I follow several OSU Beaver fan sites/forums/comment sections and I haven't found a single comment from an Oregon State fan that supports/equates to/agrees with/or corresponds to your statement above about Hebert not being critical for Oregon's continued success. Nice fiction.

I think he was referring to a rather heated exchange in a thread on this board that Nan has closed. I guess I could add that everything offensively for Oregon starts with getting the ball inside to Hebard. Ionescu's assist numbers are in good part the product of their teamwork (with help from Cazorla), as is, overall, the team's ability to shoot a high percentage from outside. I think the effect on both was clear enough Monday night.

My guess is that (best case scenario) Ruthy will miss at least the games agains the LA schools this weekend. If it's more serious than that, then it will be a major blow to a team that has already lost to a pre-season ACL a 6'4" front court player whom everyone assumed would have a major impact this year (Nyara Sabally). Even with Hebard, the Oregon roster numbers, in effect, only 8 players, since the 9th has been battling back problems that kept her out all last year and have been an off and on problem this one even with very limited minutes. They have been very lucky, injury-wise, during the season; I hope that it hasn't run out.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If Hebard is lost for the season, the WBB world will get cheated out of seeing an outstanding basketball team during the most important, exciting part of the season. Oregon is good without her but one of the legitimate contenders for the NC with her, and a fun team to watch.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If Hebard is lost for the season, the WBB world will get cheated out of seeing an outstanding basketball team during the most important, exciting part of the season. Oregon is good without her but one of the legitimate contenders for the NC with her, and a fun team to watch.

Agreed, really hoping she's able to make a full recovery for postseason play. Anything knee related is scary. Oregon State was very motivated last night and may have won the game even if Hebard had been healthy, but her size and presence inside was definitely missed. I still think they have championship potential without her, but with her they are a title favorite.

Reaction Score
Terrible thread title.
I saw the Hebard thread and then it disappeared. Took me a while to figure out that "Injury tracker" was actually about Hebard.

Reaction Score
Bone bruises are no joke. They can take a significant length of time to heal.

Reaction Score
Just read an article from pickandroll.com.au which I found informative re: ACL injuries.

Alarming ACL injury trend for women and junior basketball demands injury prevention protocol

“The way the female body is built, it has an increased Q-angle from their bigger hips, which changes the angle to force their knees to face forward more.”

ACL injuries for women are occurring at a rate that is nine times higher compared to men... “In the last few years, the biggest jump in patients has been the 14-to-16-year age group.

“Good preventative programs for ACL prevention that include bio mechanically sound skills and training within pre-warm up reduce the rate of this injury by 50 per cent.

Reaction Score
Just read an article from pickandroll.com.au which I found informative re: ACL injuries.

Alarming ACL injury trend for women and junior basketball demands injury prevention protocol

“The way the female body is built, it has an increased Q-angle from their bigger hips, which changes the angle to force their knees to face forward more.”

ACL injuries for women are occurring at a rate that is nine times higher compared to men... “In the last few years, the biggest jump in patients has been the 14-to-16-year age group.

“Good preventative programs for ACL prevention that include bio mechanically sound skills and training within pre-warm up reduce the rate of this injury by 50 per cent.

A technical article on the subject:

The female ACL: Why is it more prone to injury?

See item 3.

3. Anatomic differences: The lower extremity static alignment and measurements have not been predictive of ACL injuries.1, 12Authors frequently slate that the female has a wider pelvis than the male. However, females have a narrower pelvis. Horton and Hall, found that males had a greater hip width by 3 cm and longer femoral length by 5 cm.12, 13 The ratios of hip width to femoral length were about equal – 0.73 in males and 0.77 in females. Ratios appear to be a more important measurement than absolute width.

Reaction Score
Summary from the British Journal of Sports Medicine:
Injuries in women’s professional soccer | British Journal of Sports Medicine
Although soccer epidemiology studies in the 1970s and early 1980s18,19 showed that females had a higher injury rate, age and skill level may have more of an influence on injury incidence than gender alone. In a 5 day invitational tournament in 1985 with over 6000 players, Schmidt-Olsen et al found that females aged 17–19 had a much higher injury rate (47.1 per 1000 h) compared to males in the same age group (20.6 per 1000 h).20 In 1984, Maehlum et al studied injuries at the Norway Cup, one of the world’s largest youth club tournaments, and found the injury rate to be twice as high in females as in males.21 In 1999, Maehlum et alcompared values from the 1984 tournament to the 1993 and 1997 tournaments, and found a 35% total decrease in total injuries with a 50% reduction in female injuries.22 Elias identified a gradual decrease in the incidence of injuries in female soccer players from 1987 to 1997 in a recent study in which injuries from a youth soccer tournament were recorded prospectively over 10 years.23 Data from the 1999–2000 NCAA injury surveillance system revealed a nearly equal game injury rate in males (20.75 per 1000 player exposures) and females (18.75 per 1000 player exposures)24,25; therefore, improved training, fitness, and skills may contribute to the low incidence found in this investigation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom