OT: - Injured Hawk (Not Hartford Hawk) | The Boneyard

OT: Injured Hawk (Not Hartford Hawk)

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
This afternoon a friend called saying there was an injured hawk in her backyard. My wife went and got it. Brought it home after finding out it was just a hawk that fell out of its nest too early and could not fly and would of died and called a nearby Wildlife in Crisis number. The Hawk is young and healthy and will be released when its ready. While that was happening here are sixteen photos. I mean how often can you take a photo with a hawk. Stupid me I did not put on my wig. Injured Hawk | Facebook
20369527_1494372887287633_1462025071517465717_o.jpg

Reaction Score
About 600 plus feet across the road up on a hill --experts put up a box for Falcons (hawk type birds)
and they birthed a few in that box--the experts ask my spouse if she'd like to see them--she saw them (the young) she handled them and placed them back in their "house".
I was always told you could not return baby birds to the nest once handled by humans---so far it has proven un true--I have returned robins to nest without negative effect--and the Falcon tend to make that true.
Nice looking hawk, does not look too young, it's pin feathers seem to have filled out his/her wings
-while your Uconn head of Basketballs is the ONLY way I know you--this was a revelation-- now if I see you on the street with a large HAWK behind you --I shall immediately know --that is DannyK
Just watched Maya's first official game against NY University Stony Brook--there you were in full head dress.
Great pix--but I could expect no less from you-- I'm Sure your experts know best--just dropping my tale on you.
Thanks Danny.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There has been a adult hawk in my yard recently.. Last spotted him or her a few weeks ago. I saw the remains of a squirrel he had for lunch while cutting the backyard last week.

Did some research... And found out they like chickens. Thinking about cooking up some fried or BBQ chicken and leaving it out for it to snack on :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually dannyk, triad and I have been trading hawk stories elsewhere this month. Here in MT country we were observing a big (BIG) momma hawk and 3 little ones in a tall cottonwood down the road from our place. We had one of those freakish thunder/wind things about 2 weeks ago and it destroyed her nest high in the tree. But all 3 young birds survived and were perched lower down in that cottonwood and an adjoining one. One was a runt and looked as disheveled as yours, but happy to say they are all doing fine.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One way in which I have some hope for humanity is the comeback of raptors. I grew up on a salt marsh in CT in the 60's-70's, and my parents and sibs talked about how cool ospreys were. But they said I'd never see one. I read an article in Smithsonian around 1980 about bald eagles, which the author had to go to Alaska to see. There were some dozens in the lower 48.

I've seen two bald eagles in the past few weeks (in NH and ME), and even saw one less than a mile from my house in MD, a scant 20 miles from the US Capitol, this spring. I often see red-tailed hawks, probably a few a week, including occasionally in my yard. There's some kind of smaller hawk, maybe a little bigger than a crow, that we see often around the house, including on a walk this evening. I almost always see ospreys when I'm near the ocean, the sound, or the bay. And nevermind the buzzards.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There has been a adult hawk in my yard recently.. Last spotted him or her a few weeks ago. I saw the remains of a squirrel he had for lunch while cutting the backyard last week.

Did some research... And found out they like chickens. Thinking about cooking up some fried or BBQ chicken and leaving it out for it to snack on :cool:
You really had to do research? They taught us this as kids.

foghorn-24.jpg

Reaction Score

They like chickens, rabbits, rats, mice, and bald heads--wear a hat in Hawk country
People don't realize how really big these hawks can get--in Terryville, near Harwinton, there were a few with wing spans over 4 feet--I'm sure out west they may be larger.
In Va the really big ones are Buzzards--huge.

Reaction Score
They like chickens, rabbits, rats, mice, and bald heads--wear a hat in Hawk country
People don't realize how really big these hawks can get--in Terryville, near Harwinton, there were a few with wing spans over 4 feet--I'm sure out west they may be larger.
Don't forget about dogs and cats . They can be a tasty meal for a hawk also.

Reaction Score
Don't forget about dogs and cats . They can be a tasty meal for a hawk also.
Yep, I thought of those after I posted the above--it happens more often than is thought.
Hawks can be small or very very big birds.

Reaction Score
Actually dannyk, triad and I have been trading hawk stories elsewhere this month. Here in MT country we were observing a big (BIG) momma hawk and 3 little ones in a tall cottonwood down the road from our place. We had one of those freakish thunder/wind things about 2 weeks ago and it destroyed her nest high in the tree. But all 3 young birds survived and were perched lower down in that cottonwood and an adjoining one. One was a runt and looked as disheveled as yours, but happy to say they are all doing fine.

Since you mentioned Montana--you gave me an opportunity to slide in here with---
Mark Twain, on a world tour, stopped at Great Falls, Mt and Fort Mizzoula and visited with Buffalo Soldiers who entertained his party with Band selections
My question for you--I assume him being that close to your abode, you would visit with him --was that as enjoyable as is written in Twains biography--circa 1896???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Since you mentioned Montana--you gave me an opportunity to slide in here with---
Mark Twain, on a world tour, stopped at Great Falls, Mt and Fort Mizzoula and visited with Buffalo Soldiers who entertained his party with Band selections
My question for you--I assume him being that close to your abode, you would visit with him --was that as enjoyable as is written in Twains biography--circa 1896???

Alas and alack ... I missed him. Got my paper announcing his visit the usual 2 weeks post-publication. Thanks for outing me as the oldest man alive.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You really had to do research? They taught us this as kids.

foghorn-24.jpg

I had forgotten that plump little bird was a hawk.... a poor excuse for a hawk I'll tell ya.

That bird in my yard was a large one...... When I pulled up in the driveway I thought it was a large cat hanging around the bushes... as I got closer I realized it was a bird. The next time I saw him/her in the backyard.. at first glance I thought it was a homeless dog. Not sure of the width..... but I watched him take off and was startled and amazed its wingspan. Definitely not something you see often in the city.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom