Indiana AD Fred Glass decided to stoke the expansion fire. | The Boneyard

Indiana AD Fred Glass decided to stoke the expansion fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.insidethehall.com/2013/10/21/glass-talks-big-ten-expansion-addition-maryland-rutgers/
There’s been little news on expansion since April, when the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) announced that its members had agreed to a grant of rights, leaving the SEC as the only major conference without such an agreement.
The lack of recent movement, however, doesn’t mean that the Big Ten or the IU athletic department have moved the issue off of the radar completely.
“That’s one of the more important things we’ve been working on is expansion. Whether we continue to expand, I don’t know. I can tell you that there’s no active efforts to identify partners to expand with,” Glass said. “But having said that, I think 16 (members) might be a bit of a sweet spot and if two high caliber academic and athletic institutions applied for membership, my guess is, if they met our criteria of being academically excellent and hopefully geographically contiguous, although I’m not sure if that’s completely critical, my guess is we’d do that.”

Reaction Score
Soooo?

Academically excellent schools, with high caliber athletics, and geographically contiguous may apply....and the contiguity isn't completely critical.

Nice....Kansas is tied up in a GOR...Mizzou is riding a SEC high....that leaves?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
We're in... we just need a partner. Susan needs to shake somebody loose from their GOR... or put pressure on Mizzou.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
holy ...it's 2am, last call, and Indiana is drunk and just wandered over and asked if anyone wants to hang out later. No time for questions here, just hail a cab, flex your arms a bit and don't talk too much Susan - get it done!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
http://www.insidethehall.com/2013/10/21/glass-talks-big-ten-expansion-addition-maryland-rutgers/
There’s been little news on expansion since April, when the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) announced that its members had agreed to a grant of rights, leaving the SEC as the only major conference without such an agreement.
The lack of recent movement, however, doesn’t mean that the Big Ten or the IU athletic department have moved the issue off of the radar completely.
“That’s one of the more important things we’ve been working on is expansion. Whether we continue to expand, I don’t know. I can tell you that there’s no active efforts to identify partners to expand with,” Glass said. “But having said that, I think 16 (members) might be a bit of a sweet spot and if two high caliber academic and athletic institutions applied for membership, my guess is, if they met our criteria of being academically excellent and hopefully geographically contiguous, although I’m not sure if that’s completely critical, my guess is we’d do that.”

I also notice the use of "academically excellent" versus "AAU"...

Reaction Score
Soooo?

Academically excellent schools, with high caliber athletics, and geographically contiguous may apply....and the contiguity isn't completely critical.

At this point is we have to prove once again that we are high caliber in football. All the naysayers can look at this year and the previous 2 (and for that matter, probably the next 3) and say "see, I told you so."

Reaction Score
We are contiguous with the market that Delany wants---New York.

This is from ESPN's Big Ten Blog:

As I wrote last fall, the Big Ten's addition of Rutgers and Maryland was motivated more by its existing product than either of the new members. While Rutgers gives the Big Ten a boost in the New York/New Jersey market, the real victory is being able to showcase bigger products like Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State more often. New York has the University of Michigan's third largest concentration of alumni outside of Detroit and Chicago. Ohio State has more alumni in New York than any other out-of-state region except for Washington D.C./Northern Virginia. Penn State has nearly 30,000 alumni in the New York-New Jersey market.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/79256/take-two-b1g-acc-battle-for-new-york

Reaction Score
Just when I thought I was done with the conference realignment board......it pulls me back in!!!

It is a disease.
The pluses are it allows for a speculative creativity that is fun.
The big minus is insanity is a prerequisite for participation.
Have no fear, if you are well adjusted insanity will overtake you soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom