Incoming UConn men’s basketball walk-on Andre Johnson Jr. ‘will make somebody better in practice’ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Incoming UConn men’s basketball walk-on Andre Johnson Jr. ‘will make somebody better in practice’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, now you're just acknowledging it... Such a crazy concept that it's the same thing I said in my previous post that you disliked!
I was disliking the other numerous insane things you said in that post. I agree saving a scholarship for midseason for Castle is smart. Saving one for Gafare to make his decision in the next month or so is smart too. Choosing to actively not recruit D1 basketball players in favor of walk ons is the insane idea I'm arguing against with you

Reaction Score
0 scholarship players and 2 (possibly 3) walk ons is more than enough to go into the season with. 1 scholarship is reserved for Castle, 2 they are keeping open in case of other reclass scenarios. Obviously a Castle reclass would be ideal for this season but lets not act like they NEED to bring in 2 other scholarship players
10 scholarship players is not more than enough it's barely enough. i have been saying all along that due to the new transfer rule it's unrealistic to have a roster full of 4* guys but that means we get a couple 3* guys not D2 guys.

and yes i hope one of our '23 targets commits and reclasses either this summer or midyear. we dont have the PT for any more rotation guys but we still need to be able to practice effectively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if you dont think they aren't going to be filled then why didnt hurley just give the 2 walk ons the available schollys? he'd still have 1 open for a reclass
Or bank the scholarships for next year when he knows what his roster construction needs will be after Newton and Alleyne decide if they intend to stay for a second season at UConn.

Reaction Score
Or bank the scholarships for next year when he knows what his roster construction needs will be after Newton and Alleyne decide if they intend to stay for a second season at UConn.
that doesnt answer the question b/c hurley still coulda given the walk ons a scholarship for just this year. paying for 3 years is still better than 4.

Reaction Score
that doesnt answer the question b/c hurley still coulda given the walk ons a scholarship for just this year. paying for 3 years is still better than 4.
Giving a walk-on level player a scholarship year 1 and pulling it for the remaining years isn't the norm vs bringing them in no promises and they may earn a scholarship in their later years of the scholarship is available.

Also Hurley can award them a scholarship any time he wants. So I guess them getting an unused scholarship once the season starts or second semester could be possible. I just don't know why everyone feels the need to have a definitive answer right now.

Also as noted in the Andre Drummond thread there may be different compliance rules in offering a player a scholarship and bringing them in as a recruited scholarship player. Versus bringing them in as a walk-on that can be flipped to a scholarship later.

Them being walk-ons offers us the maximum flexibility in roster construction and gives them a slot to practice with the team without any commitments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom