Incoming Students | The Boneyard

Incoming Students

Reaction Score
This is best answered by those who have family members enrolled or who have friends with children enrolled at UConn.

How have the kids reacted to the upcoming semester (if it happens) regarding the pandemic and the chances of it affecting them?

Optimistic?
Pessimistic?
Wait and see?
Indifferent?
Could care less?
Afraid their parent(s) might get it from them?
Unenthusiastic about a mix of online and in-person classes?
Not liking the limited options for social interaction on campus?
Don't want to talk about it, or feel they are young and relatively unlikely to get the virus?
Any other emotions expressed or discerned by their overall demeanor?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My daughter is opting out of paying for staying on a campus with no semblance of college. She was hoping to commute to at least one course every week but when UConn put all of her courses on-line, it was an easy choice. No guarantee that she would keep her dorm assignment, nor her roommate. Hopefully the spring semester is back on campus.

Reaction Score
My daughter is opting out of paying for staying on a campus with no semblance of college. She was hoping to commute to at least one course every week but when UConn put all of her courses on-line, it was an easy choice. No guarantee that she would keep her dorm assignment, nor her roommate. Hopefully the spring semester is back on campus.
Same for my son TRest. Two of his roommates have 1 class in person but they are commuting too cuz they think it’s ridiculous to stay there for 1 class. Awful

Reaction Score
Heard from my uncle whose son will be a junior that housing is going to be real tough to come by? He was thinking of maybe going off campus

Reaction Score
Same for my son TRest. Two of his roommates have 1 class in person but they are commuting too cuz they think it’s ridiculous to stay there for 1 class. Awful
I have not been to the university in years. Is there enough parking for all the anticipated commuting students?

And, are they adjusting the fees for online classes in lieu of not so many in-person classes?

I wonder if compensation for professors (nationally not just this state) will be modified downward at some point or if colleges will reduce staff.

Sounds like these are two of probably many other issues.

Reaction Score
A lot more kids have signed up for the satellite campuses for commuting this fall. I believe they are even considering adding sections of some of the gen ed's

Reaction Score
Some background for my point.

I graduated in 2010. From Long Island. Did 2 years on campus then 2 years at Celeron.

If this were me I’d either stay home or move off campus sooner. Being confined in a dorm w on campus rules for such limited in person schooling makes no sense to me.

Reaction Score
My sister is starting college in the fall (not at UConn but a SUNY). She's still going, but her roommate is on the fence and she's had a few other friends decide to stay home and take online classes only

Dining halls are going to be takeout only and no interaction between dorms. Will be interesting to see how it turns out

Reaction Score
Very close with 2 incoming freshman (my cousin and my bosses daughter) both are opting to take online classes and not live on campus the fall semester. I’m thinking this becomes a popular choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom