Inability to play for 40 mins | The Boneyard

Inability to play for 40 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
What game is the closest effort we've seen where this team has played consistently well for 40 mins? MAYBE Ohio State? It's been a huge problem for this team to play well consistently on both ends of the floor for long stretches and it's somewhat concerning.

We played consistently good basketball for maybe 12 minutes today vs Tulane... the last 4 mins in first half and the first 8 minutes of the second half. The rest of the second half was inexplicably atrocious. If it was a one-time thing, I'd just say "oh, well, first conference road game." But, we've seen this COUNTLESS times this short season and it's potentially cost us some quality wins vs good teams and also now reared its head versus poor teams.
-Gonzaga -- Terrible first half, exceptional second half, loss
-Maryland -- Terrible first half, solid second half, loss
-Sacred Heart -- Terrible first half vs terrible team, solid second half, win
-Tulane

I'm not sure how much of this is a reflection of coaching, leadership, or what. Honestly, I'm not sure, so I think the fault defaults to KO. But someone else on this team needs to know how to stop the bleeding when the team starts to spiral down? Versus Tulane, it was Gibbs... with some timely baskets by Purvis. Hamilton was very poor despite his point total.

Overall, a win is a win, especially on the road. But this team was up 19 in the second half and so had to resort to scratching and clawing for it's life to get the W. That should NEVER happen. The team's trend of playing inconsistently and having long stretches with seemingly little intensity is really disturbing.

Reaction Score
Eh CB is kinda a streaky game BUT the number of completely *stupid* mental errors this team makes is hard to choke down. The lane violations, lazy fouls.... and when teams go on runs they seem to really struggle to shut them down. They go through stretches where the offense looks unstoppable and others where it literally looks like no one has any idea where they're supposed to be or what they're supposed to be doing.

Reaction Score
The truth is that no one plays a full 40 minutes even against air. The other team always has runs where they play better.

But we did take a long stretch off tonight.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Well, all Brimah criticism should be buried until he graduates.
Enoch was completely lost out there. At times it looked like four on five.
Much of the run came from having a hole in the middle.
Ollie has to play Nolan a few minutes to see which Nolan shows up.

Reaction Score
Up big, consecutive empty possessions on offense, combined with consecutive lapses on defense are cause for a timeout for this group of individuals. Ollie should know this by now.

Reaction Score
why aren't these robots playing like I programmed them to?!?! You're discounting the OSU game because they made one run to start the 2nd half? I would love to know what college basketball games or bb games in general you guys are watching where one team consistently outplays the other from minute 1-40, I guess the UConn women. This team makes plenty of mistakes to commit self sabotage but that's going to happen when you're two best offensive players are Hamilton and Purvis, and you're relying on mostly raw and unpolished bigs.

Reaction Score
we have to understand that losing Brimah IS a big deal. they have to change their rotation and philosophy on how to attack an opponent. It doesn't happen overnight.

Reaction Score
No question that Tulane should not have closed a 19-point gap. But UConn still played well enough to come in first. Given their hideous foul trouble, the Husky rally in the closing minutes says something pretty good about the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom