In the last 1.5 years Deandre Daniels has taken more 12 FGA or more per game 12 times | The Boneyard

In the last 1.5 years Deandre Daniels has taken more 12 FGA or more per game 12 times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here are his numbers

12 games points 23.1 rebounds 8.1 blocks 2.1 assist less than 1 FG % 53.7% 3pts fg 42.5% efg in the upper 50's

His 3 pt accuracy has also moved up tremendously this year

Conclusion--this is a player who has to keep himself in the game and his teammates have to accommodate that as well. I have to wonder if moving Boatright down in FGA's and putting much more emphasis on getting Daniels(and Daniels getting his own) 15 or more FGA's is the best thing for this team. At 6-9 and a guy who can step out and shoot 47% from 3 with a dribble--he should be unstoppable. The only thing that stops Deandre is Deandre. He should score 20 or more almost every game.

Reaction Score
agree with your numbers, but not necessarily with all of your conclusions.

First, one of the major reasons some players keep making their own shots, or get the ball from their teammates and keep shooting, is because the ball is going in. when it isnt going in, the team is often better letting other players shoot

not sure why you arbitrarily picked 12 shot attempts or more to begin, and then said he needs 15 shots a game

what about games where he took exactly 10 and 11 shots in the last 1.5 years?
in those 17 games he scored only 11ppg at 41.8% (72-172). i'm not sure that getting him 5 more attempts in those games would have been a great thing for the team. As a team, UConn is shooting 46.6% so far this year.

Secondly, i dont agree that Deandre is the only thing that stops Deandre. Sometimes the other team's players and or/scheme can stop Deandre. He is slight of build, and the big quick physical athletes that you find on the better teams can present a tough challenge. Matchups can matter. And so can good zone defenses and doubleteams. When you say he can only stop himself, you are implying he can score at will against anyone, any time. I don't agree.

Third, he has scored 20 or more 9 times in 70 games in his career. To say he should score 20 or more every game in unwarranted. I dont think its a coincidence that he has 24 offensive rebounds in those 9 games. When you get nearly 3 offensive boards a game, you get more chances for easier scores. Last night, when he scored his career high 31, he had a career high 5 offensive boards (2 on one play when he rebounded his own missed putback). Those offensive boards resulted in 4 official putback shots and a trip to the line, and they are likely an important reason for his increased production on those days. For reference, he has only 59 offensive boards in his other 70 games, fewer than one per game.

And last, if you're looking to get DD shots, you may not get the right man with the ball late. i want Napier or Boat with the ball near the end of the shot clock. They can shoot or create , while DD is a lot less likely to create a shot for someone else. SN and RB combine for 9.5
assists per game compared to DD's 0.5.

Reaction Score
I think your statistics are good but your analysis is wrong. Building on what @nimzovich said, DeAndre is a kid who lacks inner confidence. If his shot is going, he keeps shooting. Any adversity, and he clams up tight and really gets out of an aggressive flow and hurts the team by taking a chess piece off the board.

In fact, that's his biggest damn problem.

Also agree that Daniels is not some unstoppable force. He is a useful player, but doesn't have a go-to move or consistency. His game is a series of intermediate shots and spot up 3s. He's not overly athletic and can be stiff and awkward with the rock. Additionally he REALLY lacks strength, and looks like he is not someone who spends a great deal of time in the weight room working on his body.

Daniels is a good, solid D1 player, but lets not be unrealistic. He has major flaws that have shown up again and again.

Enjoy his game for what it is, but don't be unrealistic.

caw

Reaction Score
Secondly, i dont agree that Deandre is the only thing that stops Deandre. Sometimes the other team's players and or/scheme can stop Deandre. He is slight of build, and the big quick physical athletes that you find on the better teams can present a tough challenge. Matchups can matter. And so can good zone defenses and doubleteams. When you say he can only stop himself, you are implying he can score at will against anyone, any time. I don't agree.

Third, he has scored 20 or more 9 times in 70 games in his career. To say he should score 20 or more every game in unwarranted. I dont think its a coincidence that he has 24 offensive rebounds in those 9 games. When you get nearly 3 offensive boards a game, you get more chances for easier scores. Last night, when he scored his career high 31, he had a career high 5 offensive boards (2 on one play when he rebounded his own missed putback). Those offensive boards resulted in 4 official putback shots and a trip to the line, and they are likely an important reason for his increased production on those days. For reference, he has only 59 offensive boards in his other 70 games, fewer than one per game.

I don't necessarily agree with some of the OPs conclusions either but two things I think are flawed in your argument.

First, while I agree DD can be stopped by opposing defenses (unlike Napier), I do think DD holds himself back more than other teams defenses, if that makes sense. Either way, just opinions.

Secondly, I think it's highly flawed to discuss all 70 games for DD when talking about statistics. He barely played as a freshman. I think discussing his past two years (49 games) makes more sense, but even then he has grown considerably as a player since his sophomore year. I do think your note about offensive boards is intruiging and important. It shows he was aggressive in those games. He is up to almost 14 per game this season, and 16 over the past 15 games. While not 20 per game, he is obviously playing better this year than last.

Part of it may also be coaching. Ollie is noted for going to the hot hand on offense, esp when there is a mismatch. It's been one of Ollie's bet qualities.

Reaction Score
I think the idea is how do we get this kid to play more like a Donyell in his hay day vs a sometimes amazing player. At this point its not always his fault but with his skill set if he pushed it he could become less defensible. As long as he folds under pressure or adversity it will be hard to see what happens. I think he has a huge upside and in no mean to take a shot at a kid who I think already is a great Husky.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily agree with some of the OPs conclusions either but two things I think are flawed in your argument.

First, while I agree DD can be stopped by opposing defenses (unlike Napier), I do think DD holds himself back more than other teams defenses, if that makes sense. Either way, just opinions.

Secondly, I think it's highly flawed to discuss all 70 games for DD when talking about statistics. He barely played as a freshman. I think discussing his past two years (49 games) makes more sense, but even then he has grown considerably as a player since his sophomore year. I do think your note about offensive boards is intruiging and important. It shows he was aggressive in those games. He is up to almost 14 per game this season, and 16 over the past 15 games. While not 20 per game, he is obviously playing better this year than last.

Part of it may also be coaching. Ollie is noted for going to the hot hand on offense, esp when there is a mismatch. It's been one of Ollie's bet qualities.

fair enough on the 70 game point of reference - i was just lazy there - taking out the first year, he averaged just one offensive board a game with 39 in those other 39 games. it still was nowhere near the 2.7 he averaged in his 20+ performances

and it isnt always the answer to be aggressive - you can be aggressive without results, or aggressive and commit fouls and end up sitting on the bench missing minutes. some people who like to knock a player for being passive during the "big" games, dont seem to take it into account that the same level of talent and effort may not produce the same results against better opponents.

but when you say "you think he holds himself back" - fine - you can say that you think that, but it offers little value cause you really cant know it or prove it to others. does he do it every game, or just in selected games, which you identify after the fact because he was less successful? he certainly doesnt do it in every "big" game, cause he had 25 and 10 against Gtown, and 23 and 11 against Memphis. it isnt any flaw in my "argument" that you happen to believe you have a deep understanding of Deandre's psyche.

Reaction Score
Honestly I believe if he doesn't get hit with two quickies in the ville game, he would have had a monster game. His performance is mostly dictated by how well he is shooting, it raises his defensive aggressiveness as well. In that way, he's a mercurial talent. Still has lots of potential.

Reaction Score
I wish we could start the same lineup we did last night for the rest of the year. It helps defensively and on the glass immensely. Boats a terrific playmaker, but he would be an even better spark plug. And if he's playing well, let him close the game over Giffey. Both niels and boat should get 25 mpg.

Reaction Score
You mention that DD should take more shots away from Boatright. Boat is taking 2 less shots per game from last year. From 11 to 9. He's a better player and less selfish. But, his ppg have dropped because he is less selfish. I don't think he should be giving up any more shots. And I wish people around here started to recognize his dramatic improvements and on court presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom