In Search of a 3rd Guard | The Boneyard

In Search of a 3rd Guard

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno needs another guard. He made it clear Wednesday that he really wants an 8-player rotation with 3 guards. UConn has 5 of the most talented front court players ever assembled on the same team in Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Z & MW. They also have two really talented starting guards in Kia & Danger. What they don’t have is a 3rd guard that can spell the starting guards and run the offense. The Huskies have spelled Kia and Danger for a few minutes with either Lou or Gabby, but that’s not an ideal situation because it reduces the effectiveness of Lou and Gabby. Even last season, when UConn had almost no depth, the Huskies had 3 guards that could play significant minutes and run the offense.

The absence of a 3rd guard is certainly not for lack of trying. Geno has auditioned several players for the role. Initially, Geno tried sophomore Molly Bent as the 3rd guard. Molly is one of the hardest working players on the team and as a returning player she got first shot. Unfortunately, Molly continues to appear reluctant to shoot the ball and her A/TO ratio is shaky 0.42.

Next up was AEH. She impressed all of us with her ability to knock down shots and her hustle. But AEH is at home dealing with family issues and she has yet to rejoin the team as far as I know.

Mikayla Coombs is currently auditioning for the role. Quite frankly, my money has been on Mikayla to become the 3rd guard since I watched her play in the McD AA game doing two things that almost nobody does in a HS all-star game: play defense and pass the ball. Based on that game, I predicted that Coombs would earn minutes before MW…..OK, so I missed that one.

Mikayla demonstrated some solid defensive skills vs Duquesne and that earned her some additional PT vs Memphis. But her play vs Memphis was somewhat disappointing. Next up was ECU. Mikayla played only 5 minutes at the end of the game, but those 5 minutes made me sit up and take notice.

Once again, Mikayla played solid defense. As she has done a couple of times this season, she anticipated a pass to the wing and picked it clean heading down the court for what appeared to be an easy layup. But then she did something remarkably unselfish. With fellow freshman Lexi Gordon trailing her, but hustling down the court, Mikayla passed the ball to Lexi who made the layup getting her first points as a Husky. On a subsequent offensive possession, the ball kicked out to Mikayla at the arc, and with her somewhat unconventional release she drained a 3.

While 5 solid minutes at the end of a blowout win is hardly definitive proof that Mikayla is ready to assume the role as the 3rd guard, I feel like Morpheus in the Matrix series convinced that Mikayla is THE ONE. Hope I’m right on this one.

Last edited:

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<Mikayla Coombs is currently auditioning for the role. Quite frankly, my money has been on Mikayla to become the 3rd guard since I watched her play in the McD AA game doing two things that almost nobody does in a HS all-star game: play defense and pass the ball.>>

You saw exactly the same things I did. Her play jumped out at me and, frankly, she's the only player from that game whose performance I remembered.

Surprised that she wasn't ranked higher but, as a rule, so much of that is based on scoring.

I think that the best is yet to come for her. I'm hoping she gets some minutes early on during the upcoming conference games, to get her feet wet so to speak. Then some key minutes against Texas and the like to "toughen her up" for March Madness. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
<<Mikayla Coombs is currently auditioning for the role. Quite frankly, my money has been on Mikayla to become the 3rd guard since I watched her play in the McD AA game doing two things that almost nobody does in a HS all-star game: play defense and pass the ball.>>

You saw exactly the same things I did. Her play jumped out at me and, frankly, she's the only player from that game whose performance I remembered.

Surprised that she wasn't ranked higher but, as a rule, so much of that is based on scoring.

I think that the best is yet to come for her. I'm hoping she gets some minutes early on during the upcoming conference games, to get her feet wet so to speak. Then some key minutes against Texas and the like to "toughen her up" for March Madness. :D
The one thing that is clear to me is that Mikayla fully understands that the way to earn more minutes at UConn is to play defense and pass the ball. The made 3-pointer was icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
Geno needs another guard. He made it clear Wednesday that he really wants an 8-player rotation with 3 guards. UConn has 5 of the most talented front court players ever assembled on the same team in Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Z & MW. They also have two really talented starting guards in Kia & Danger. What they don’t have is a 3rd guard that can spell the starting guards and run the offense. The Huskies have spelled Kia and Danger for a few minutes with either Lou or Gabby, but that’s not an ideal situation because it reduces the effectiveness of Lou and Gabby. Even last season, when UConn had almost no depth, the Huskies had 3 guards that could play significant minutes and run the offense.

The absence of a 3rd guard is certainly not for lack of trying. Geno has auditioned several players for the role. Initially, Geno tried sophomore Molly Bent as the 3rd guard. Molly is one of the hardest working players on the team and as a returning player she got first shot. Unfortunately, Molly continues to appear reluctant to shoot the ball and her A/TO ratio is shaky 0.42.

Next up was AEH. She impressed all of us with her ability to knock down shots and her hustle. But AEH is at home dealing with family issues and she has yet to rejoin the team as far as I know.

Mikayla Coombs is currently auditioning for the role. Quite frankly, my money has been on Mikayla to become the 3rd guard since I watched her play in the McD AA game doing two things that almost nobody does in a HS all-star game: play defense and pass the ball. Based on that game, I predicted that Coombs would earn minutes before MW…..OK, so I missed that one.

Mikayla demonstrated some solid defensive skills vs Duquesne and that earned her some additional PT vs Memphis. But her play vs Memphis was somewhat disappointing. Next up was ECU. Mikayla played only 5 minutes at the end of the game, but those 5 minutes made me sit up and take notice.

Once again, Mikayla played solid defense. As she has done a couple of times this season, she anticipated a pass to the wing and picked it clean heading down the court for what appeared to be an easy layup. But then she did something remarkably unselfish. With fellow freshman Lexi Gordon trailing her, but hustling down the court, Mikayla passed the ball to Lexi who made the layup getting her first points as a Husky. On a subsequent offensive possession, the ball kicked out to Mikayla at the arc, and with her somewhat unconventional release she drained a 3.

While 5 solid minutes at the end of a blowout win is hardly definitive proof that Mikayla is ready to assume the role as the 3rd guard, I feel like Morpheus in the Matrix series convinced that Mikayla is THE ONE. Hope I’m right on this one.

Early on you were touting Coombs, I didn't see it. More recently---I saw glimpses of her potential. In one exciting glimpse I saw her see a developing play, took the anticipated pass, and like lightning to the basket for a score.

I dont know for "positions", there are some Geno obviously can't use for Posts but other he can use at the traditional guard position.Walker has been subbing for KIA is a good to better defender, rebounder, scorer and handles the ball well, in ECU game blazed a quick trail from the end line to set up a play. She has the skills Geno is missing and the kid has no fear, much like AEH.

Back to Molly, my girl, Molly has all that Geno needs--she's wrapped in a plain brown package, no flash, no show boat, just plain.\Molly has all the skills--I'll bet she burns up the floor in practice--what she is missing is what Irwin has loads of --CONFIDENCE--if that ever appears Geno will have a very good 3rd guard.

I'm not dropping Alexi out of mix just yet--I don't know what Genos issues are with Alexi, nor do I care--from all I see, an that is only a tiny bit, Alexi has all it takes to make a good Uconn Guard, Im sure Geno sees that.

Reaction Score
The search for the third guard is sorting itself out right now. Coombs ? Yup, for now. But Megan’s on a mission to solidify her spot and her improving d gives her the chance to do her stuff...and she can do a lot.

In the meantime, there’s no pressure to find the next Bird at the Buzzer or MoJet. Our “non-guards” are superb dribblers, passers, and shooters. Katie Lou’s stutter step dribble for a layup (ECU) was reminiscent of Jefferson’s stutter step drives against South Carolina....except Lou is 6’3” !

Reaction Score
The one thing that is clear to me is that Mikayla fully understands that the way to earn more minutes at UConn is to play defense and pass the ball. The made 3-pointer was icing on the cake.
Historically Geno has wanted a bench player to enter the game and immediately make an impact, with a steal, a big shot, an important stop---but make an impact. Walker has done it, AEH has done it, Coombs has done it---to me they get GENO. Molly to my knowledge has never made that impact, nor more recently Alexi (but it may be too soon) Irwin, in clean up time has made the good play, rebound, defense. \]
I hope Coombs gets more pt and continues to be impactful, alone with AEH, Walker keep making huge strides.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have been surprised by how much time and rope Geno has given Molly. I was a fan from the get go with maybe unrealistic expectations, but now I am surprised and suspect her time on the floor has more to do with his lack of confidence in any frosh but Megan.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the interesting contradictions of UConn WBB unlike most of the rest of WBB, is that UConn has multiple frontcourt options and limited backcourt options. Many teams that UConn plays start 3 or even 4 guards and only 1-2 forwards. UConn is usually the reverse, and when Danger or Kia are on the court by themselves with some combination of Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Z and MW, the Huskies effectively have 4 forwards and one guard on the floor. Of course, the Huskies can get away with it because all of those front court players can handle the ball.

I am also reminded of a situation a few years ago when the Huskies played Steph, Kiah Stokes, Stewie, KML and Mo against a pressing defense that attempted to trap Mo in the backcourt. Mo simply lobbed a pass to Stewie who easily dribbled up the court to break the press.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is what's known as a good dilemma: you have a lot of candidates for an impact guard off the bench, virtually all of whom are bona fide recruits. Outside of the personal situation for AEH (good thoughts to she and her family), the team has some time and options to find the right person. For what it's worth, I've always liked Coombs (for most the reasons mentioned), but most will bring positive value.

Meanwhile, we at McGraw's Bench have three scholarship guards (total) and are getting to know the latest walk-on's background (two of the three are guards), knowing that there's no chance they'll get in anything but a blowout. The good news: forward Danielle Patterson is a pretty versatile player who can give us some "small forward" (remember that term?) minutes, while Arike Ogunbowale or Jackie Young take a spell. Marina Mabrey won't see the bench unless she's in foul trouble the rest of the season and Coach McGraw pretty much said as much in her post-game presser last night.

(BTW, Miami has very fast players....)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is what's known as a good dilemma: you have a lot of candidates for an impact guard off the bench, virtually all of whom are bona fide recruits. Outside of the personal situation for AEH (good thoughts to she and her family), the team has some time and options to find the right person. For what it's worth, I've always liked Coombs (for most the reasons mentioned), but most will bring positive value.

Meanwhile, we at McGraw's Bench have three scholarship guards (total) and are getting to know the latest walk-on's background (two of the three are guards), knowing that there's no chance they'll get in anything but a blowout. The good news: forward Danielle Patterson is a pretty versatile player who can give us some "small forward" (remember that term?) minutes, while Arike Ogunbowale or Jackie Young take a spell. Marina Mabrey won't see the bench unless she's in foul trouble the rest of the season and Coach McGraw pretty much said as much in her post-game presser last night.

Dillon, thanks for putting UConn's dilemma in perspective.

Reaction Score
I have been surprised by how much time and rope Geno has given Molly. I was a fan from the get go with maybe unrealistic expectations, but now I am surprised and suspect her time on the floor has more to do with his lack of confidence in any frosh but Megan.
--

I'm willing to bet Molly is the hardest working, best point guard (execpt Danger) in practice. She shows Geno something. She is a good to better passer, a good to better shooter, has developed good defense---but you 'd never know it from watching her in a game. She rushes passes, fails to take the shot given her---CONFIDENCE--probably has a little girl in her heads repeatedly saying: don't screw up. That's the surest way of doing just that. She needs to just play as she knows how.

Reaction Score
Watching our team play, I find myself anticipating the entry of any player after the lead six - so very eager to see any or all of them do well. Maybe the anticipation of the next "generation" replaces the excitement of competition when our team is most often so dominant. The lead six dance together so very well. Who will master the rhythm & flow?
Agreed about Mikayla.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I think that the best is yet to come for her. I'm hoping she gets some minutes early on during the upcoming conference games, to get her feet wet so to speak. Then some key minutes against Texas and the like to "toughen her up" for March Madness. :D[/QUOTE]

Just remember, last year, crystal got a lot more minutes early on than Coombs is getting now, and it still took Dangerfield a whole season to bloom. I join you in hoping Coombs will be the answer to Geno's wish for a 3rd guard. Like Crystal did last season, Coombs is showing us little snippets and flashes of her talent and skill set. How much she will grow and develop this season, no one knows. The light could come on at any time, or as in Dangerfield's case, after the season during the summer.

I would be surprised to see any meaningful growth in the near future based on the limited minutes she's getting. Remember, Crystal (as 6th man) started several games last year when one the the starters was injured. Those extended minutes played a significant role in development. I doubt the same will happen this year for Coombs, as she is buried on the depth chart. Too many players in front of her.

Reaction Score

First my grief at ND losing Lilli--a really bad loss.
Your assessment of Geno 4 Frosh in line with my assessment. 4 of the potentially best Frosh guards in the country. Each has more than a small level of skills. Walker, AEH, Coombs all have shown a bit (AEH,Walker a lot) of their potential. Alexi has it. Best of all these 4 GET the GENO---they get on the floor and become impactful players---some more than others--but you can see what they are
to become---it is rare for me to say this---every new group of recruits --I see the glass half full.
If Uconn has a Small Forward---it's walker.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
--

I'm willing to bet Molly is the hardest working, best point guard (execpt Danger) in practice. She shows Geno something. She is a good to better passer, a good to better shooter, has developed good defense---but you 'd never know it from watching her in a game. She rushes passes, fails to take the shot given her---CONFIDENCE--probably has a little girl in her heads repeatedly saying: don't screw up. That's the surest way of doing just that. She needs to just play as she knows how.

I wasn't kidding about the pre-game beer (or two) for Molly in that post a couple of days ago. Let it go. Let it flow.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wasn't kidding about the pre-game beer (or two) for Molly in that post a couple of days ago. Let it go. Let it flow.
Rocky,
I think a beer or two for you and me is an excellent suggestion relative to calming down.
As Molly is underage, I might suggest yoga or some type of meditation as an alternative.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Molly is this version of the Huskies' Saniya. She hung in there and ended up with a pretty decent senior year as I recall. I just hate the thought of throwing away an 19 or 20 year old kid that works as hard as she does.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One of the interesting contradictions of UConn WBB unlike most of the rest of WBB, is that UConn has multiple frontcourt options and limited backcourt options. Many teams that UConn plays start 3 or even 4 guards and only 1-2 forwards. UConn is usually the reverse, and when Danger or Kia are on the court by themselves with some combination of Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Z and MW, the Huskies effectively have 4 forwards and one guard on the floor. Of course, the Huskies can get away with it because all of those front court players can handle the ball.

I am also reminded of a situation a few years ago when the Huskies played Steph, Kiah Stokes, Stewie, KML and Mo against a pressing defense that attempted to trap Mo in the backcourt. Mo simply lobbed a pass to Stewie who easily dribbled up the court to break the press.

Let me add that for our front court, Gabby, Lou (if you consider her a wing), Pheesa and Z handle the ball very well. This is a definite advantage over most if not all of our opponents. And they all can pass the ball. This goes back to Geno recruiting multi-dimensional players who play more than one position.

With this in mind, it gives Geno a little more breathing room to develop that 3rd guard. I see Coombs and Espinoza-Hunter as the primary candidates. Before AEH had to return home, I thought she had the edge for the 3rd guard spot. With being into the conference schedule, we'll see who starts to emerge, if anybody.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I watched a video of Paige Bueckers in another thread the other day, and among the many things that impressed me is that she has a very quick (though not rushed) release.

I am also rooting for Molly, and agree that she does not play with enough confidence, recognizing there is a chicken and egg thing there - good play begets confidence, which begets more good play, etc. Sense that she is thinking too much out there.

But I think besides confidence, part of the problem with her failure to "pull the trigger" is that while she is generally quick and fast, she is mechanically a slow shooter. At this level, wide open means being open for a second or less.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Perhaps Molly is this version of the Huskies' Saniya. She hung in there and ended up with a pretty decent senior year as I recall. I just hate the thought of throwing away an 19 or 20 year old kid that works as hard as she does.

Molly is a mystery. She's highly conditioned. In high school she was a heady, complete player with good moves inside and a more than good outside game and an adept floor leader. Something is getting in the way and Geno et al have not unlocked the mystery. 'Course, just the other day Geno was ruing Kia's "hair on fire" floor presence too. He's not Svengali.

Reaction Score
I'm having a bit of a problem understanding the issue. On offense, we have a true PG in CD and a true center( increasingly her focus) in Z. The rest including KLS, Kia, Gabby, MW and Phee can play wing in a motion offense and each has a range of 15 plus feet and some with a range of 20 plus. All of them can post up if Z clears out and all can take the ball to the hoop. In addition, all can get out on the break either with the ball or on a wing. KI is increasingly fitting in while we wait for MC and BC to develop.
On defense, if Kia and or CD need a rest and if we are playing man, both Gabby and MW are quick enough to guard opponents shooting guard and most point guards. In that case we would have KLS, Phee, and Z guarding the opponents 3,4 and 5. No problem.
Now next year the calculus is a bit more intriguing but we will have a dynamic CW to put into the equation.
As an aside, it seems as if basketball is moving away from slotting players into the 1,2,3 ,4 and 5 positions. If you have a strong, quick ball handler to control tempo and distribution and a shot blocker/rebounder the rest can be wings that are somewhat interchangeable.

Reaction Score
Rocky,
I think a beer or two for you and me is an excellent suggestion relative to calming down.
As Molly is underage, I might suggest yoga or some type of meditation as an alternative.
I think everyone knows that and knows what he meant. Boring is the new classy, I guess. I prefer a little spice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom