In Retrospect Was Leaving the AAC for the New Big East the Best Move? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

In Retrospect Was Leaving the AAC for the New Big East the Best Move?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
And I was one of the people who really wanted Edsall back thinking he would be much better on the second go round.
I'd have settled for just as good.

Reaction Score
I guess the fact that Virginia, Duke, and UNC have won 8 of the last 20 in men's lacrosse was due to recruiting....getting those Maryland, Long Island athletes.

Reaction Score
I guess the fact that Virginia, Duke, and UNC have won 8 of the last 20 in men's lacrosse was due to recruiting....getting those Maryland, Long Island athletes.
Just like UConn has won all those basketball titles because of all the great players from CT.

Reaction Score
ps_0483w_stupid_knew_1.jpg

C'mon now...he said he was sorry.

VCE

Reaction Score
Wrote a piece regarding upcoming negotiations with FS1 for CBB Digest:

the revenue scales over the course of the contract, so a ten year deal could average $5mm but pay $4mm in its first year and $6mm in its last year. It’s an important consideration when comparing a pretty old FS1 BE contract with a recently signed espn contract.

good article though. We do need both UCONN and Georgetown to rise again.

Reaction Score
Wrote a piece regarding upcoming negotiations with FS1 for CBB Digest:

Good Article. Next deal for the Big East is super important in keeping up with the Jones. Big East will need to get as close to $10M per year as possible. With UConn in the fold, and addition of UConn women, they can get there. In order to be more appealing, Big East needs Uconn and Georgetown to return to its former selves along with Nova maintaining the current path.

Uconn also needs to improve football much more to get a better media deal. The current horrible pay for football just won't cut it long term. Not sure what Uconn can get for football, but we need to at least match the Big East payout for basketball and other sports.

Reaction Score
So many basketball fans thought that leaving the AAC for the New Big East was the long-term solution for UConn basketball. With unexpected tournament losses for both the men's and women's teams this year, it does not appear to be the case so far. And football season as an independent has yet to start, and things look bumpy at best. Should UConn revisit its decision?
I’m assuming this is either a joke or you thought you would say something ridiculous and watch this board react. That is as much of a response that is deserved.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’m assuming this is either a joke or you thought you would say something ridiculous and watch this board react. That is as much of a response that is deserved.
Pure trollery, as is his handle.

Reaction Score
Certainly, UConn’s move to the Big East a few months after they began recruiting Clingan made a huge difference, his father noted. It would be hard to imagine him turning down Big Ten schools to play in the American Athletic Conference.

Reaction Score
I’ve come around on this. The NEWBIE is a really good regional league and outside Villanova, has no interest in being a major national conference, in anything really. In all the major sports it is basically not participating ( football) or not trying ( baseball, women’s basketball. Note UConn in the women’s equivalent of Villanova.). Most UConn fans and the athletic program are quite satisfied with being a “ regional” power. The AAC, whether it succeeds or not, wants to be the 6 th Power Conference. I don’t know if it will get there. Probably not. But that isn’t UConn’s goal any longer anyway. We are thrilled to get to the NCAA tournament. Get into the bottom of the top 25. Play a regional schedule of mostly like minded teams. Beat Seton Hall and Providence. The exceptions being Villanova at the high end, DePaul at the low end and Georgetown wishing for all the world that the Ivy League wanted a Catholic member si it didn’t have to hang with these trade schools. It is fine and it lets everyone get what they want while pretending to be important in the national scheme of things because the league takes the name of a once powerful national conference.

Reaction Score
Certainly, UConn’s move to the Big East a few months after they began recruiting Clingan made a huge difference, his father noted. It would be hard to imagine him turning down Big Ten schools to play in the American Athletic Conference.
Let’s see. One kid’s father says he thinks the Big East made a difference. All the proof I need. ;)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I’ve come around on this. The NEWBIE is a really good regional league and outside Villanova, has no interest in being a major national conference, in anything really. In all the major sports it is basically not participating ( football) or not trying ( baseball, women’s basketball. Note UConn in the women’s equivalent of Villanova.). Most UConn fans and the athletic program are quite satisfied with being a “ regional” power. The AAC, whether it succeeds or not, wants to be the 6 th Power Conference. I don’t know if it will get there. Probably not. But that isn’t UConn’s goal any longer anyway. We are thrilled to get to the NCAA tournament. Get into the bottom of the top 25. Play a regional schedule of mostly like minded teams. Beat Seton Hall and Providence. The exceptions being Villanova at the high end, DePaul at the low end and Georgetown wishing for all the world that the Ivy League wanted a Catholic member si it didn’t have to hang with these trade schools. It is fine and it lets everyone get what they want while pretending to be important in the national scheme of things because the league takes the name of a once powerful national conference.
well, this is not very nice. inaccurate too, but mostly not very nice.

Reaction Score
Why is anyone still tilting at this windmill? It's been a year and the results speak for themselves in all sports. The AAC is nothing but a bad memory.
Precisely. Everyone is thrilled beyond words that we made the tournament. And are ranked 23 in some preseason poll or other. One of two NEWBIE teams ranked. It is all just so Seton Hally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom