In Recognition of Shea Ralph | The Boneyard

In Recognition of Shea Ralph

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Ralph gets left out of the discussion of the Big Three, for good reason, or the Big Four (adding Bird) for good reason, or the Big Five (adding Charles or Lobo, take your pick) for good reason. Because she is not in these discussions I understand why her impact as a freshmen has been forgotten but, there but for the misfortune of being the most injured player ever at UConn, she might have been in any or all of these discussions.

She was every bit as fearless, had the "it" factor, as does Williams reportedly has this year coming in. True, she was the sixth "man" as a freshman, as was Taurasi until injuries late in the season, but her impact as a freshman was just as great as, well, the greats. Unfortunately, the first of her many injuries came during tournament play her freshman year .... and the team fell apart. Indeed, everyone talks about Notre Dame in 2001 as the one that "got away" due to injuries, but there is no evidence that the chemistry issues when the full team was healthy would have been resolved by tournament time, just speculation that would necessarily be so. In my opinion, the one that really got away due to injuries was 1997 (conceding to Tennessee, adding insult to injury), when a certain freshman phenom went down and the play of the team immediately changed.

Reaction Score
Re watch the 2000 championship game sometime to get the full feel of Shea Ralph's game. The whole team played really well, but her heart, hustle and just all around effectiveness really show out in that game. That game is fun to watch as well for Sveta fans.

Reaction Score
I still contend that the 2001 team, despite not winning the championship, was better than the heralded 2002 team; And should have won it all even without their two injured all Americans. It took the perfect storm of a sub par second half and Notre Dame's A game to derail that team. I also contend that Ms Taurasi emerging as she did from that game showed more than anything else she has done in her basketball life.

Most impactful freshmen:
1. Maya Moore
2. Nykesha Sales
3. Shea Ralph
4. Breanna Stewart
5. The Class of 2006

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
When I think of Shea the very first image I get is that first injury. Ouch!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My favorite player. I saw her as a frosh play in a pre-season game. Jennifer R. had graduated, and her departure left a big hole. When I saw that game I felt that Jen might not be missed quite as much as I thought. Shea just had “it”from the get go. No doubt in my mind that in her last year, ND won the NC because of UConn’s missing great seniors.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
1539773927785.png

Reaction Score
I still contend that the 2001 team, despite not winning the championship, was better than the heralded 2002 team; And should have won it all even without their two injured all Americans. It took the perfect storm of a sub par second half and Notre Dame's A game to derail that team. I also contend that Ms Taurasi emerging as she did from that game showed more than anything else she has done in her basketball life.

Most impactful freshmen:
1. Maya Moore
2. Nykesha Sales
3. Shea Ralph
4. Breanna Stewart
5. The Class of 2006
Before the injuries started, the 2001 team had a lineup of Kennitra Johnson, Diana Taurasi, Ashley Battle, Asjha Jones, and Tamika Williams--as the second unit. They had more talent than any team in history.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Before the injuries started, the 2001 team had a lineup of Kennitra Johnson, Diana Taurasi, Ashley Battle, Asjha Jones, and Tamika Williams--as the second unit. They had more talent than any team in history.
Probably the most talent-laden team in history, though the team with Stef Dolson, Bria Hartley, Kiah Stokes, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson, and Saniya Chong put 8 players into the WNBA.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wasn’t Sue Bird on that team, too?

Reaction Score

Before the injuries started, with both Shea and Sveta on the floor, UConn lost by 16 in South Bend.

It took a stop and pop at the buzzer by Sue to beat the Irish in the conference championship (at UConn).

We had talent in abundance, but Notre Dame was a pretty good team and earned their NC.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Before the injuries started, with both Shea and Sveta on the floor, UConn lost by 16 in South Bend.

It took a stop and pop at the buzzer by Sue to beat the Irish in the conference championship (at UConn).

We had talent in abundance, but Notre Dame was a pretty good team and earned their NC.

Gimme a break. They had a center who walked every time she got her hands on the ball and fouled unmercifully. Every game she played. They earned a fix. That's what they earned.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I certainly agree that Shea was a special player when she was healthy, but her fellow injured player in 2001 was also exceptional - Sveta. She was a three time first team AA including her senior year when she was injured in her 19th game (I think likely a record for the fewest games played by a first team AA.) Shea was the fire, Sveta the ice!

The history of Uconn WCBB is full of special players who do not get as much recognition as maybe they deserve because of they are often playing some of their career with some exception players.

And just a note on that FF loss to ND in 2001 - Geno has said that game represents the nadir of his coaching career - team up double digits for almost all of the first half, but they gave up a three pointer in the closing seconds of the half and he was so furious he blew up in the locker room during half time and he feels because of him they collapsed in the second half.

Reaction Score
Re watch the 2000 championship game sometime to get the full feel of Shea Ralph's game. The whole team played really well, but her heart, hustle and just all around effectiveness really show out in that game. That game is fun to watch as well for Sveta fans.
Anyone who got to watch Shea Ralph as a player at Uconn will never forget how tough she was; mentally and physically. She always amazed me under the boards: she'd have the ball abt 3 Tn players surrounded her, all bigger, somehow some way she would force the ball through the crowd and score. She was the enforcer: if an opponent knocked down one of her teammates at some time after they forgot the bump, push, pull Shea would get them. Shea and Sveta on non game days regularly played 2 vs 2 and the other two wereguys. Shea is about half her girth while a player (or it was a year.5 ago. A truly gutzy, hard nosed, hard playing bit of heaven in a Uconn uniform.

Reaction Score
I certainly agree that Shea was a special player when she was healthy, but her fellow injured player in 2001 was also exceptional - Sveta. She was a three time first team AA including her senior year when she was injured in her 19th game (I think likely a record for the fewest games played by a first team AA.) Shea was the fire, Sveta the ice!

The history of Uconn WCBB is full of special players who do not get as much recognition as maybe they deserve because of they are often playing some of their career with some exception players.

And just a note on that FF loss to ND in 2001 - Geno has said that game represents the nadir of his coaching career - team up double digits for almost all of the first half, but they gave up a three pointer in the closing seconds of the half and he was so furious he blew up in the locker room during half time and he feels because of him they collapsed in the second half.

Geno being Geno trying to take the loss away from a great team. ND had Riley, who gave Uconn fits but wasn't much of a passer, some how Muffet taught her to pass and pass she did and alway to an open player to make easy baskets. I forget the name of the Forward for ND who received many passes from a Double teamed Riley.
I know Sue said they were angry as hell at Geno and blew the game--no truth if you believe that you will believe Sue, DT, Swin, Asia, Tamika, the bench, Geno, Christine all will throw a game when they are _pp---angry. A championship game? Against ND? That is the most unbelievable thing every said and some REAL Uconn fans bought into it. Do you believe Sue and company would actually throw a game?? Commmme ON. Are we to believe the loss to ND in April 18 was because the team had an issue with Geno?? .

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Anyone who got to watch Shea Ralph as a player at Uconn will never forget how tough she was; mentally and physically. She always amazed me under the boards: she'd have the ball abt 3 Tn players surrounded her, all bigger, somehow some way she would force the ball through the crowd and score. She was the enforcer: if an opponent knocked down one of her teammates at some time after they forgot the bump, push, pull Shea would get them. Shea and Sveta on non game days regularly played 2 vs 2 and the other two wereguys. Shea is about half her girth while a player (or it was a year.5 ago. A truly gutzy, hard nosed, hard playing bit of heaven in a Uconn uniform.
Hailey Van Lith reminds me of a shorter, left-handed version of Shea. She's TOUGH!

Reaction Score

Was not aware of the coach's halftime tirade. it probably tightened them up. He could have just assured his team that they were in great shape.

Reaction Score
Geno being Geno trying to take the loss away from a great team. ND had Riley, who gave Uconn fits but wasn't much of a passer, some how Muffet taught her to pass and pass she did and alway to an open player to make easy baskets. I forget the name of the Forward for ND who received many passes from a Double teamed Riley.
I know Sue said they were angry as hell at Geno and blew the game--no truth if you believe that you will believe Sue, DT, Swin, Asia, Tamika, the bench, Geno, Christine all will throw a game when they are _pp---angry. A championship game? Against ND? That is the most unbelievable thing every said and some REAL Uconn fans bought into it. Do you believe Sue and company would actually throw a game?? Commmme ON. Are we to believe the loss to ND in April 18 was because the team had an issue with Geno?? .

I do not believe that Ms Bird meant that the team threw the game when she said they blew it; Just that thy were mad and they ended up losing after being up double digits at halftime. they blew the big lead and the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom