In reality, how can UConn get 9 votes? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In reality, how can UConn get 9 votes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This discussion is so juvenile. Every school's vote is based on what Swofford is telling them ESPN said about what adding a school or schools does to the per school TV money. If you think you know for sure how anyone is voting without knowing that information, you're not very bright.

I know a lot of people don't like Donna Shalala because (god forbid) she worked for a democratic administration, but she is not a ####ing idiot. Trustee to Shalala -- "Is it true that ESPN offered an additional $1.5M to us per year and you said no?" Shalala to Trustee: "Yes, I really don't like those guys." Yeah, that discussion will happen.

FSU is against us? Because internet posters on their board prefer LV? Yes, and we fired Jim Calhoun three years ago because our internet posters spoke for the administration and the trustees. Too bad. We might have won a national championship in 2011 if we kept him.

We have not heard anything sufficient to allow anyone any idea whatsoever what any particular's school position on us is.

Reaction Score
This discussion is so juvenile. Every school's vote is based on what Swofford is telling them ESPN said about what adding a school or schools does to the per school TV money. If you think you know for sure how anyone is voting without knowing that information, you're not very bright.

I know a lot of people don't like Donna Shalala because (god forbid) she worked for a democratic administration, but she is not a ####ing idiot. Trustee to Shalala -- "Is it true that ESPN offered an additional $1.5M to us per year and you said no?" Shalala to Trustee: "Yes, I really don't like those guys." Yeah, that discussion will happen.

FSU is against us? Because internet posters on their board prefer LV? Yes, and we fired Jim Calhoun three years ago because our internet posters spoke for the administration and the trustees. Too bad. We might have won a national championship in 2011 if we kept him.

We have not heard anything sufficient to allow anyone any idea whatsoever what any particular's school position on us is.

It's our own posters who have had inside sources in the past that have reported which three schools are problematic for UConn.

But, to answer the original poster, you get to 9 votes through persuasion. I'm a UConn fan, so perhaps I have a blind spot, but in UConn's favor, I not only count academics, but athletics as well. The basketball teams, and football, which brings more to the table than it is given credit for. UConn not only has a lot of TV eyeballs, but fans in the seats compared to our peers. In other words, I don't see in Louisville what FSU may see. But this has been beaten to death.

I think you're right Biz about the money. What I fear is that Presidents, as always, are swayed by BOT and alumni and boosters who have a very negative opinion of Uconn, largely because we are yet another school above the Mason-Dixon line.

Reaction Score
You need to do some research. As long as Charlie Strong's staff is at Louisville, there is no way that Miami is going to "absolutely" vote for them.

I hate throwing stones in the incredibly dirty world of college athletics, but Louisville has one of the dirtiest staffs in college football. Clint Hurtt is the guy that did A LOT of negative damage when he coached at Miami, and he's the guy Shapiro got almost everything from when he talked to the yahoo reporter.

Not to mention, Strong has been stealing a few guys from right in Miami's backyard, like Bridgewater, who was a UM commit.

The fans and administration at Miami really dislike Louisville. As long as Hurtt and Strong are there Miami will block Louisville.

No offense but, you woud think after watching Calhoun up close, you would be able to actually spot a real dirty staff.

Just like the rest of you, I have no idea how this will play out but, to say that "Louisville has one of the dirtiest staffs in football" is complete crap. Even if the NCAA comes down on Hurtt - and there has been no indication that they are - there has never even a whiff of scandal on anyone ese on that sideline.

As for recruiting Miami and the rest of Florida, every successful football program does that. If Miami wanted Bridgewater so badly, they shouldn't have sacked Shannon.

Reaction Score
I don't look for Shalala to vote against UConn in the end, she and Cantor are good friends. I think our chancellor wants you in , and even though we don't yet have a vote we have been in all the meetings.

Reaction Score
That kind of defeats your previous points. If it's the presidents voting, why would FSU and Clemson vote against UConn when it's only the fan bases who are against UConn and they themselves don't have any animosity?

Louisville signed four 4 stars in the Miami-Dade area in just 2011. That doesn't strike you as odd? Especially when they were coming off a 7-6 season?

If it's one or the other, Miami may vote for Louisville, but they're not going to vote for them on their own.

Correction, they siged two 4 stars out of Miami but, one of them was Bridgewater who convinced three of his high school teammates (all 3 stars) to come with him. Once they pulled Teddy, it gave them instant credibility; that and all of the playing time that was available since Krackthorpe did such a bang up job with recruiting.

Reaction Score
No offense but, you woud think after watching Calhoun up close, you would be able to actually spot a real dirty staff.

Just like the rest of you, I have no idea how this will play out but, to say that "Louisville has one of the dirtiest staffs in football" is complete crap. Even if the NCAA comes down on Hurtt - and there has been no indication that they are - there has never even a whiff of scandal on anyone ese on that sideline.

As for recruiting Miami and the rest of Florida, every successful football program does that. If Miami wanted Bridgewater so badly, they shouldn't have sacked Shannon.

Please. You don't think getting Keith Brown was dirty? Prior to this year Louisville was 29-33 over the last 5 years. And now they're bringing in a bunch of 4 stars from Dade county? A place that is notoriously dirty for football recruiting?

And if we're talking about basketball, don't act like there aren't skeletons in Louisville's closet. Does the name Sebastian Telfair ring a bell?

Reaction Score
Correction, they siged two 4 stars out of Miami but, one of them was Bridgewater who convinced three of his high school teammates (all 3 stars) to come with him. Once they pulled Teddy, it gave them instant credibility; that and all of the playing time that was available since Krackthorpe did such a bang up job with recruiting.

Bridgewater, Eli Rogers, Andrew Johnson, Gerod Holliman. That's 4. All were 4 stars. Holliman didn't qualify but he still signed and he is from Miami.

Reaction Score
You need to do some research. As long as Charlie Strong's staff is at Louisville, there is no way that Miami is going to "absolutely" vote for them.

I hate throwing stones in the incredibly dirty world of college athletics, but Louisville has one of the dirtiest staffs in college football. Clint Hurtt is the guy that did A LOT of negative damage when he coached at Miami, and he's the guy Shapiro got almost everything from when he talked to the yahoo reporter.

Not to mention, Strong has been stealing a few guys from right in Miami's backyard, like Bridgewater, who was a UM commit.

The fans and administration at Miami really dislike Louisville. As long as Hurtt and Strong are there Miami will block Louisville.

This is exactly how I see it. Hurtt is not liked at all down here because of him being in the middle of the "Shapiro stuff".

Reaction Score
Bridgewater, Eli Rogers, Andrew Johnson, Gerod Holliman. That's 4. All were 4 stars. Holliman didn't qualify but he still signed and he is from Miami.

Not sure what rating service you are going by but, I'm using Scout who listed only Teddy and Holiman as 4stars. Regardless, Strong has big time ties into all of Florida, and big time credibility built up with HS coaches there from his time at UF. Add to that, all of the playing time available and, it's no wonder he pulled some good fla kids.

Reaction Score
Please. You don't think getting Keith Brown was dirty? Prior to this year Louisville was 29-33 over the last 5 years. And now they're bringing in a bunch of 4 stars from Dade county? A place that is notoriously dirty for football recruiting?

And if we're talking about basketball, don't act like there aren't skeletons in Louisville's closet. Does the name Sebastian Telfair ring a bell?

No I don't think getting Brown was dirty - please enlighten me with all of your first person "evidence". Strong sold him on immediate playing time which is the way that it worked out - Keith Burgess too for that matter.

As I recall, Telfair went straight to the pros - never made it to UofL. The only cheating RP has done at UofL, has been on his wife...

Reaction Score
No I don't think getting Brown was dirty - please enlighten me with all of your first person "evidence". Strong sold him on immediate playing time which is the way that it worked out - Keith Burgess too for that matter.

As I recall, Telfair went straight to the pros - never made it to UofL. The only cheating RP has done at UofL, has been on his wife...

Well -- I am guessing there are some restaurant health inspectors not quite pleased with the extra work he has caused them either.

Reaction Score
Not sure what rating service you are going by but, I'm using Scout who listed only Teddy and Holiman as 4stars. Regardless, Strong has big time ties into all of Florida, and big time credibility built up with HS coaches there from his time at UF. Add to that, all of the playing time available and, it's no wonder he pulled some good fla kids.

Why are you even here?

You've got nothing. No credibility. It's shot. And you come here saying Calhoun is dirty without any evidence whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Why are you even here?

You've got nothing. No credibility. It's shot. And you come here saying Calhoun is dirty without any evidence whatsoever.

What I'm saying is, "programs in glass houses..." You all are upset because you think that UofL is being given something that you deserve, so you want tear them down. Right, I've got no credibility because YOU say so.

Don't be such a baby.

Reaction Score
What I'm saying is, "programs in glass houses..." You all are upset because you think that UofL is being given something that you deserve, so you want tear them down. Right, I've got no credibility because YOU say so.

Don't be such a baby.

I was talking about your ridiculous boasts last week that blew up in your face. UConn has a 3rd or 4th rate football program. Louisville has a 3rd rate program. and we've proved that on the field the last several years. You've got nothing.

Reaction Score
I was talking about your ridiculous boasts last week that blew up in your face. UConn has a 3rd or 4th rate football program. Louisville has a 3rd rate program. and we've proved that on the field the last several years. You've got nothing.

What boasts were those? That UofL would beat UConn last Saturday? They didn't and I congratulated (and again congratulate) UConn on winning the game. My larger point (call it a boast if you will) was that the UofL athletics program has a greater upside than does UConn. We can agree to disagree but, that hardly adds up to my credibility being "shot".

Listen, I hope the ACC takes both of us. Not much history in football but, I always enjoyed it when the basketball team came to town.

Reaction Score
What boasts were those? That UofL would beat UConn last Saturday? They didn't and I congratulated (and again congratulate) UConn on winning the game. My larger point (call it a boast if you will) was that the UofL athletics program has a greater upside than does UConn. We can agree to disagree but, that hardly adds up to my credibility being "shot".

Listen, I hope the ACC takes both of us. Not much history in football but, I always enjoyed it when the basketball team came to town.

Continue to deny that you trolled this place with lots of squawking last week about the football game and then it blew up in your face.

Reaction Score
Continue to deny that you trolled this place with lots of squawking last week about the football game and then it blew up in your face.

So saying "Congratulations to UConn on the win over Louisville" isn't enough for you?

I was right the first time - quit being such a baby.

Reaction Score
So saying "Congratulations to UConn on the win over Louisville" isn't enough for you?

I was right the first time - quit being such a baby.

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed if I were you.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If the ACC does take Louisville it sends a clear message that expansion has no consistent rationale. UConn occupies a bigger market. UConn is better academically. For arguments sake, let us say that UConn and Lousiville hoops are on equal footing. Louisville football currently has the edge in football but that is due in large part because one institution has a good coach and the other does not.

If you believe everything that has been said about what is important for expansion, the ACC should be giving the call to UConn. Should Louisville get the call, the ACC is saying that some of it's constituent schools are shortsighted enough to select a school that goes against all the supposedly key points simply because that school is currently more successful at football.

I would like to say that if the ACC does not want us...screw them...we're to good for them anyways. However, as we all know, we are now further out to sea than we were last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom