In praise of Saniya | The Boneyard

In praise of Saniya

Reaction Score
Chong's degree of difficulty; Huskies visit Tulsa in search of win No. 92

I saw this last month and am reposting.

We stand in awe of the prodigy, the one for whom everything appears effortless. Maya, for example, with her near-4.0 GPA and her national awards. Things haven't come as easily to Saniya. That she's here, that she's finally thriving on the court AND she's about to be the first in her family to graduate from college and, admittedly, struggled for both--that to me is not just a sweet accomplishment, but a prodigious one.

Reaction Score
So well said. For most mortals that's what life is about, setting goals, overcoming adversity, continuing to learn, particularly the hard lessons, and moving forward. Saniya has passed this particular test with flying colors and I've been so pleased watching her emerge on the court this year. She'll do well no matter what path she chooses next. Super young lady!

Reaction Score
Really, really happy for her. I was impressed over her previous seasons that, no matter her struggles, she always appeared to be a terrific teammate who was truly happy for others' successes. Fitting that she should have a solid senior year with an emphasis on assists!

Reaction Score
Great piece: thanks for reposting and helping us appreciate this terrific kid.

It is not a Biblical expression (it is often thought so, incorrectly, but it combines two separate statements in Ecclesiastes and Matthew), but maybe it's in S. Augustine (I read it decades ago), but it goes something like this: The race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but he who prevails who shall be saved.

Religious sentiment aside, the point is to prevail and Saniya has certainly done that.

Reaction Score
Starter PG for the Number 1 team in the country in her senior year. I admit it, I never saw this coming. So happy for Saniya and best wishes and good luck to her for whatever endeavors she likes to undertake in her future.

Reaction Score
I really think Chong has been the most underrated huskie this year. I've been telling anyone who would listen they would not be undefeated without her. With CD going thru freshman ups and downs and Kia injured she has been a steadying force out there. She's also hitting just enough jumpers to keep the defense honest.

She's having a wonderful year. So proud of her.

Reaction Score
I doubted her to be the starter prior to the start of her senior season. She proved me wrong. After watching Crystal Dangerfield early performance I thought Saniya will be taking the back seat again but she continues to play steady. She is playing better than ever as her confidence grew. Keep it up and very happy for her.

Reaction Score

It is not a Biblical expression (it is often thought so, incorrectly, but it combines two separate statements in Ecclesiastes and Matthew), but maybe it's in S. Augustine (I read it decades ago), but it goes something like this: The race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but he who prevails who shall be saved.

Religious sentiment aside, the point is to prevail and Saniya has certainly done that.
I'm not religious but my formative education was so strong it still affects many of my views--and quotations memories.
You state the quotation as this failing memory can attest.
Religious sentiment--as a non believer--should not be cast aside --as in all things there is something to be learned.
Off my soap box..

Reaction Score
I doubted her to be the starter prior to the start of her senior season. She proved me wrong. After watching Crystal Dangerfield early performance I thought Saniya will be taking the back seat again but she continues to play steady. She is playing better than ever as her confidence grew. Keep it up and very happy for her.
Don't feel alone--99.9986 percent of all WBB viewer may have then agreed with you (and me). All doubters as you and I can do is to enjoy every minutes left for us--and say--we were wrong, thanks Saniya for proving us WRONG.

Reaction Score
I'm not religious but my formative education was so strong it still affects many of my views--and quotations memories.
You state the quotation as this failing memory can attest.
Religious sentiment--as a non believer--should not be cast aside --as in all things there is something to be learned.
Off my soap box..
Not casting off religion; just making sure that the post wouldn't invite a discussion on religion and therefore get sent to the cesspool.

Reaction Score
Not casting off religion; just making sure that the post wouldn't invite a discussion on religion and therefore get sent to the cesspool.
I wasn't discussing religion--I was discussing quotations and education--learning. If being a non believer belongs in the cesspool---that stops many who have similar views. Those who stop those they don't agree with is not stated in the rules of the Boneyard or in any document in America that I have read.

Reaction Score
I was responding to you "sentiments aside" ---not trying to start a cesspool or argument. I believe we can learn from all thing, all religions, all cultures, all personalities---I don't call myself an educator because I was learning every day--still do.
To me if you stop learning, you die mentally and physically. My brain is going to mush, those things I knew and drew easily from memory--I must relearn or forget. That is also why I get antsy with dismissal of concussions or 'minor" brain injuries--they are all serious. That's why I enjoy your posting I learn or re-learn.
This is a basketball forum and as such--the Mod are correct in keeping the target UConn women's BB--

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Starter PG for the Number 1 team in the country in her senior year. I admit it, I never saw this coming. So happy for Saniya and best wishes and good luck to her for whatever endeavors she likes to undertake in her future.

Crystal was so talked-about, I thought it would go like two years ago. Saniya would start at the beginning of the year, they'd lose (to Baylor, Notre Dame, whoever), and Crystal would take over the starting role after that. As you, I'm glad I was wrong. I've liked her and her game since before she joined the team.

This is gonna be a great senior day. Saniya and Tierney are great examples of how hard work pays off. Tierney hasn't seen much playing time, but ha worked her butt off in practice and inspired her teammates. Saniya has had such ups and downs, it would have been easy to become discouraged or transferred. Yet, her Saniya is now, the starting point/combo guard on a team that has exceeded everybody's expectations and is historically good. And they'll both graduate with three, possibly four national championships. If the latter, they will be in elite company. Combine that with Saniya's becoming the first in her family to graduate college, and that's one amazing young woman.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

I have often quoted it (with appended advice from Damon Runyan).

Ecclesiastes:
"The battle is not to the strong or the race to the swift."
Runyan:
". . . but that's the way to bet!";)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I, personally, am so happy for Saniya, working hard and staying strong, despite her struggles both physically as well as trying to be the player that Geno expected her to be. For some players, it clicks right away, for others it takes longer. For Saniya, she has become the Senior Leader on and off the court. So proud. (So for the next 4 years, I will now be pulling for Andrea Espinoza Hunter, another Ossining High School Alumni and future UCONN WBB Star.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I too was a "Saniya doubter" at the beginning of the season, and I too am delighted to be wrong.

I am compelled to ask the question, "What is the greater achievement, having tremendous natural ability and easily finding success, or overcoming injuries, self-doubt and disappointment that would break most people, to finally achieve success on your very last opportunity?"

I am incredibly happy for Saniya's success. I can only imagine how proud her family must be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So proud of her, 4.0 that is so difficult to achieve ....
I think she was joking about the 4.0. I saw an interview where she said she wasn't the best student...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The 4.0 that Saniya was referring to wasn't academic...it was her 4th championship in row. Remember her interview...she sheepishly and coyly said to her recently graduated teammates, "You're not the only ones...."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom