In other great news... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In other great news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The Mayor has more sense than the County Executive.

Could be worse, in the county that I live in in Jersey, the County Executive and the Freeholders (the county board) have spent north of $200,000 in legal fees all paid by the county tax payers suing each other over the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
The only thing that would explain it is what a SUNY President once said to me in a rant. He was from Cali., had top posts in the midwest, and when he made it to SUNY, he said he was turned upside down by a political system run almost exclusively by private school grads. At the same time they were taking funds away from the ONLY public law school outside Manhattan, they were plowing funds into St. John's Fisher College Law school outside of Rochester. Hundreds of millions cut for the state schools. And the next day you read in the paper about a $35 million taxpayer subsidized building for Canisius. Look who sits on the boards of some of these institutions. Lots of developers. Who sits on the board of Syracuse? I don't know--I'm really asking. That President took off and basically said the state is effed up.

Massachusetts has the same issue...

Reaction Score
New businesses? With half of the population moving south to warmer climes I wonder who the patron's will be sir ? I do agree though Syracuse and upstate west of Albany needs all the help it can get !!

I agree, it's a dream as even the Syracuse Mayor knows it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
SU may be in the process of getting a new retractable roof, 40k, seat facility for football and basketball using both public and private money. As if being in the ACC wasn't enough of a recruiting advantage at the moment. When will the kick in the nuts stop???

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....yracuse_basketball_football_hockey_music.html

You can't forget their many disadvantages.

1. Syracuse is an unpleasant decaying area.
2. The weather is among the worst in the country.
3. The nickname "Orangemen" sucks. Color is only good by comparison "The original school colors, rose pink and pea green, adopted in 1872 were not popular."
4. The travel schedule is terrible (worse than ours even)
5. The dome is hardly state of the art...given the Carrier branding, the AC probably works well, although rarely needed.
6. Alumni and fans are well...you've seen and heard them
7. Mascot is a tropical fruit....in upstate NY. Maybe Iowa St. should switch to "Surfers" instead of Cyclones.

I'm sure you can think of others.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Haave you ever bought a beer at an on campus football or basketball game at UConn? Case closed.

No, but I used to BYOB legally. It's up to the school to decide, the NCAA has no say. NCAA playoffs, like at Dodd, have a no beer policy.

Reaction Score
"5. The dome is hardly state of the art...given the Carrier branding, the AC probably works well, although rarely needed."

You do realize the Dome has no AC which is ironic given the Carrier branding? The Dome gives them no advantage as a football facility.

Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Another example of the short-sightedness of certain university presidents and conference commissioner.

Reaction Score
This going to become a huge debacle if Cuomo goes anywhere near it. You can't slash education all over the state and then pour hundreds of millions into a stadium for a private university. Heck, the state won't even do this for the Buffalo Bills.
They are going to try. If I'm the University of Buffalo I scream to the high heavens over this if it ever starts gaining any traction at all.

Reaction Score
I dont have direct knowledge. I had to work my internship when the Mens Tourney was in town in 1998. I haven't been to a women's game at all, let alone a tourney game, since I was a Freshman. I told you: the only first hand knowledge I have of that is the NCAA baseball tourney in Norwich. No beer was sold.

The NCAA has rather strict requirements that a host must fill during its events. There's no sale of alcohol at the event allowed, and all stadium advertising must be removed or covered (minus those which refer to the stadium itself), in favor of the limited slate of NCAA partners.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would be absolutely SHOCKED if the state gave a private university funds for an over-the-top stadium. Retractable roof?? C'mon. The Yankees and Mets didn't even get a retractable roof. Nope. This is what the ACC signed up for. Let this private university raise the funds themselves. In all honesty, I wouldn't be too surprised to see ESPiN help out somehow given the majority of their workforce.

Reaction Score
Our endowment is embarrassingly small, but Syracuse's is only about $940 million, which isn't much to write home about for a substantially large private university.

http://chronicle.com/article/CollegeUniversity/136933

It's going to be damn hard for them to pay for this by themselves, and it's not like they can go and threaten to move somewhere else. They could be stuck with the Carrier Dome as long as UMass was stuck with the Curry-Hicks Cage.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thank God I read the Boneyard to keep abreast of the Syracuse demise. Otherwise I'd be brainwashed by the media who keeps pointing out they are undefeated.

Reaction Score
They could seek donations from the bevy of alumni in the NFL and NBA
Tobey-Maguire-Stupid-Face.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our endowment is embarrassingly small, but Syracuse's is only about $940 million, which isn't much to write home about for a substantially large private university.

http://chronicle.com/article/CollegeUniversity/136933

It's going to be damn hard for them to pay for this by themselves, and it's not like they can go and threaten to move somewhere else. They could be stuck with the Carrier Dome as long as UMass was stuck with the Curry-Hicks Cage.
The difference is we are supported by the State of Connecticut, as shown by the building programs from UConn2000 forward. That is much more valuable. We will build the endowment, as we should, but I understand why it was not an emphasis historically.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The difference is we are supported by the State of Connecticut, as shown by the building programs from UConn2000 forward. That is much more valuable. We will build the endowment, as we should, but I understand why it was an emphasis historically.

Right -- there has to be some form of net present value that we could just assign to our State contributions and "pretend" that it's a part of our endowment, in order to compare us to an entirely private institution. I forget the formula, but if you assume that we're going to get $200 million in 2014 dollars every year, ad finitum, someone could probably calculate what size of endowment we'd require in order to draw that annually.

Regardless, State contributions are always decreasing in real terms, and we need to grow our endowment ASAFP.

Reaction Score
This going to become a huge debacle if Cuomo goes anywhere near it. You can't slash education all over the state and then pour hundreds of millions into a stadium for a private university. Heck, the state won't even do this for the Buffalo Bills.
I can think of a LOT better things my tax dollars should go to besides funding Syracuse's new stadium. Cuomo should stay FAR away from this thing...private school, raise your own money.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No but I have pretty much had a fully stocked bar in the bleachers.... Ah Memorial Stadium.

That's how I got into soccer. They had a keg in the stands.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's how I got into soccer. They had a keg in the stands.

We used to have this guy who could smuggle two handles into the football games. And we'd just leave them sitting in the open. Sometimes they would have someone selling soda in the stands and we'd buy everyone they had in the rack.

Now I want french fries in a cardboard dog bowl.

Reaction Score
New businesses? With half of the population moving south to warmer climes I wonder who the patron's will be sir ? I do agree though Syracuse and upstate west of Albany needs all the help it can get !!

But when you do move... Please leave THE COLD WEATHER there!!! Its FREEZING here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom