In other great news... | The Boneyard

In other great news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Syracuse needs a new arena, so good for them. Doubt they go with a retractable roof and only 40k for football is not good.

Reaction Score
Why get a retractable roof? From September through May it's just gray skies up there anyway.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
SU may be in the process of getting a new retractable roof, 40k, seat facility for football and basketball using both public and private money. As if being in the ACC wasn't enough of a recruiting advantage at the moment. When will the kick in the nuts stop???

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....yracuse_basketball_football_hockey_music.html

This is a fluff piece, the equivalent to a file photo that is run every so often. My interpretation is that there is not any smoke yet and the Post-Standard's sports copy editor had to fill a couple inches.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Quick one of the Horde needs to blow the dust off of the on campus stadium thread and speculate which locations on campus could be the location of a future 80k seat stadium for UConn.

Reaction Score
Quick one of the Horde needs to blow the dust off of the on campus stadium thread and speculate which locations on campus could be the location of a future 80k seat stadium for UConn.
Build it in the quadrangle behind the Student Union. Easily accessible from all parts of the campus, and fans could eat at any of the Student Center venues before/after the game. LOL

Reaction Score
One other thought about an on campus stadium. presuming they can't sell alcohol, how much revenue is lost by no longer selling $9 beers?

Husky25

Reaction Score
One other thought about an on campus stadium. presuming they can't sell alcohol, how much revenue is lost by no longer selling $9 beers?
If my understanding is correct, then exactly zero. UConn doesn't share in concessions at The Rent.

Reaction Score
The story as written makes it looks like Syracuse the city is pushing for a new venue to attract more business to downtown and having Syracuse football and basketball be the main tenants obviously makes sense (remember the old NE Patriots stadium in downtown Hartford?). Trust me, upstate NY needs all of the help it can get.

Reaction Score
If my understanding is correct, then exactly zero. UConn doesn't share in concessions at The Rent.
However the state contracts the operation of the facility to a facilities management firm who in turn contracts out the concessions. What kind of bids are the state/UConn going to get to run the facility if no beer is allowed? It is all about money and there is no money to be made building a stadium in Storrs. Just so you no I feel that the stadium should be on-campus so the students could walk to the game like I did when I was there. However, that ain't happening in our lifetimes.

Husky25

Reaction Score
However the state contracts the operation of the facility to a facilities management firm who in turn contracts out the concessions. What kind of bids are the state/UConn going to get to run the facility if no beer is allowed? It is all about money and there is no money to be made building a stadium in Storrs. Just so you no I feel that the stadium should be on-campus so the students could walk to the game like I did when I was there. However, that ain't happening in our lifetimes.
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. If a stadium were to be built on campus, the school would be the manager/operator, as is the case with Gampel. The ability to sell alcohol has to do with the type of alcohol license. As I was graduating in '99, the only active liquor license within the campus limits was the Nutmeg Grill (is that still around?). Since then, I'm pretty sure there is a full bar in the lobby of the South Hotel. I do not know if there are any others. All the bars and liquor stores around campus are technically off campus.

As of 2012, only 21 FBS programs out of 120 provide fans with the ability to purchase alcohol within the facility at their games. Eleven are on-campus facilities. The other 10 are Landlord/Tenant relationships like UConn has with the State at Rentschler.

Reaction Score
If this ever comes to fruition, it would be a huge boondoggle. Cuomo is cutting programs and education all over the state, and is then giving a small portion of that money back in public-private partnerships that generate new revenue. In other words, it's supposed to be money given to relocation of businesses in tax-free zones, in public-private partnerships. And there's a very limited amount of money. By my estimation, the city of Syracuse would be blowing through its set-aside by doing this, but in a way that does very little to improve the region's economy.

NEWSFLASH Syracuse: you don't improve your economy because now Justin Bieber realizes he can have a show there.

Reaction Score
The story as written makes it looks like Syracuse the city is pushing for a new venue to attract more business to downtown and having Syracuse football and basketball be the main tenants obviously makes sense (remember the old NE Patriots stadium in downtown Hartford?). Trust me, upstate NY needs all of the help it can get.
New businesses? With half of the population moving south to warmer climes I wonder who the patron's will be sir ? I do agree though Syracuse and upstate west of Albany needs all the help it can get !!

Reaction Score
If this ever comes to fruition, it would be a huge boondoggle. Cuomo is cutting programs and education all over the state, and is then giving a small portion of that money back in public-private partnerships that generate new revenue. In other words, it's supposed to be money given to relocation of businesses in tax-free zones, in public-private partnerships. And there's a very limited amount of money. By my estimation, the city of Syracuse would be blowing through its set-aside by doing this, but in a way that does very little to improve the region's economy.

NEWSFLASH Syracuse: you don't improve your economy because now Justin Bieber realizes he can have a show there.

I don't believe it. And, I have watched NYS government for decades.

Syracuse is a PRIVATE University. While I grant you that it is the core of CNY social and entertainment world. The Stadium you have described is many many times the $93m Rentschler was. Retractractable roof? I am thinking $400-550m. On State Land. I can tell you, from a personal experience, getting Commercial uses done on State Land with Universities involved gets very tricky in NYS. (prevailing wage, Dormitory Authority purview, etc) I have a tough time understanding, as upstate posts, how you can justify this big expenditure when stacked against lots of other $20-50m requests from many Upstate communities. You have made this Private University the equivalent of building the Next Viking Stadium in Minneapolis. And, that's a leap that we haven't seen ... yet.

NOW ... there are weird things in Syracuse. The Carrier Mall done over a Brownfield. That stupid Desti-NY project. So ... they have a good track record of civic strength.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Why couldn't they sell alcohol?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why couldn't they sell alcohol?
They probably could, but less than 10% of campus football venues do to the general patronage (i.e. outside the luxery boxes, if any). It is probably a cost of liability that which Schools just do not wish to bear. It's much less of a risk to pay rent to an unrelated party and have them bear the liability. I think as venues get refurbed or new ones are built, beer sales will be included. Monetarily, it only makes sense (cents. Lots and lots of cents).

Historically, it could possibly be related to sport and type of event. My friend and I went to the NCAA Baseball Tournament at Dodd Stadium in Norwich a few years ago, and while Dodd has the capability to serve beverages, none were for sale.

Reaction Score
I don't believe it. And, I have watched NYS government for decades.

Syracuse is a PRIVATE University. While I grant you that it is the core of CNY social and entertainment world. The Stadium you have described is many many times the $93m Rentschler was. Retractractable roof? I am thinking $400-550m. On State Land. I can tell you, from a personal experience, getting Commercial uses done on State Land with Universities involved gets very tricky in NYS. (prevailing wage, Dormitory Authority purview, etc) I have a tough time understanding, as upstate posts, how you can justify this big expenditure when stacked against lots of other $20-50m requests from many Upstate communities. You have made this Private University the equivalent of building the Next Viking Stadium in Minneapolis. And, that's a leap that we haven't seen ... yet.

NOW ... there are weird things in Syracuse. The Carrier Mall done over a Brownfield. That stupid Desti-NY project. So ... they have a good track record of civic strength.

The only thing that would explain it is what a SUNY President once said to me in a rant. He was from Cali., had top posts in the midwest, and when he made it to SUNY, he said he was turned upside down by a political system run almost exclusively by private school grads. At the same time they were taking funds away from the ONLY public law school outside Manhattan, they were plowing funds into St. John's Fisher College Law school outside of Rochester. Hundreds of millions cut for the state schools. And the next day you read in the paper about a $35 million taxpayer subsidized building for Canisius. Look who sits on the boards of some of these institutions. Lots of developers. Who sits on the board of Syracuse? I don't know--I'm really asking. That President took off and basically said the state is effed up.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. If a stadium were to be built on campus, the school would be the manager/operator, as is the case with Gampel. The ability to sell alcohol has to do with the type of alcohol license. As I was graduating in '99, the only active liquor license within the campus limits was the Nutmeg Grill (is that still around?). Since then, I'm pretty sure there is a full bar in the lobby of the South Hotel. I do not know if there are any others. All the bars and liquor stores around campus are technically off campus.

As of 2012, only 21 FBS programs out of 120 provide fans with the ability to purchase alcohol within the facility at their games. Eleven are on-campus facilities. The other 10 are Landlord/Tenant relationships like UConn has with the State at Rentschler.
Haave you ever bought a beer at an on campus football or basketball game at UConn? Case closed.

Reaction Score
They probably could, but less than 10% of campus football venues do to the general patronage (i.e. outside the luxery boxes, if any). It is probably a cost of liability that which Schools just do not wish to bear. It's much less of a risk to pay rent to an unrelated party and have them bear the liability. I think as venues get refurbed or new ones are built, beer sales will be included. Monetarily, it only makes sense (cents. Lots and lots of cents).

Historically, it could possibly be related to sport and type of event. My friend and I went to the NCAA Baseball Tournament at Dodd Stadium in Norwich a few years ago, and while Dodd has the capability to serve beverages, none were for sale.
When they have had the NCAA basketball tourney in the HCC the beer windows are shuttered.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Haave you ever bought a beer at an on campus football or basketball game at UConn? Case closed.

Yes. but as the manager of the facility, the school presumably gets a percentage of the concessions at an on-campus venue. That is not the case at Rentschler. Case not closed...Some on campus venues are beginning to procure liquor licenses.
When they have had the NCAA basketball tourney in the HCC the beer windows are shuttered.

I dont have direct knowledge. I had to work my internship when the Mens Tourney was in town in 1998. I haven't been to a women's game at all, let alone a tourney game, since I was a Freshman. I told you: the only first hand knowledge I have of that is the NCAA baseball tourney in Norwich. No beer was sold.

Reaction Score
SU may be in the process of getting a new retractable roof, 40k, seat facility for football and basketball using both public and private money. As if being in the ACC wasn't enough of a recruiting advantage at the moment. When will the kick in the nuts stop???

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....yracuse_basketball_football_hockey_music.html

You can come in off the ledge now... Its imploded!

>>SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney said today she has abandoned her request for as much as $200 million in state funding to build a $500 million sports arena in Syracuse because she could not persuade Mayor Stephanie Miner to endorse the project.<<

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/01/post_984.html#incart_river_default

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom