In Kia Nurse We should Trust? | The Boneyard

In Kia Nurse We should Trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Die Hard women's husky BB fan here. I watched the Olympic women's BB games and some of the Canadian games. I know most of you people think that Kia will be/should be the floor leader of this year's husky team. Some of you will point to her 30 point game she had against the Americans that defeated Stewie and Mo at that time. Well people, wake up!!!!!!! Her last minute decisions and shot selections were absolutely ridiculous and ill-advised, and she played like there was no other teammate around her in her last Olympic game. Throwing up silly shots and shot management skills were not in her mind - she lost the game for Canada and I blame the knucklehead Canadian coach who should have pulled her in the middle of the 3rd quarter, especially since she is the youngest of the team with less experience! So this is the leader most of you think should take over the team this coming year - huh? I am the poster who advised that she have been replaced last year.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Die Hard women's husky BB fan here. I watched the Olympic women's BB games and some of the Canadian games. I know most of you people think that Kia will be/should be the floor leader of this year's husky team. Some of you will point to her 30 point game she had against the Americans that defeated Stewie and Mo at that time. Well people, wake up!!!!!!! Her last minute decisions and shot selections were absolutely ridiculous and ill-advised, and she played like there was no other teammate around her in her last Olympic game. Throwing up silly shots and shot management skills were not in her mind - she lost the game for Canada and I blame the knucklehead Canadian coach who should have pulled her in the middle of the 3rd quarter, especially since she is the youngest of the team with less experience! So this is the leader most of you think should take over the team this coming year - huh? I am the poster who advised that she have been replaced last year.

I saw Big Papi strike out recently. Does that mean we can't expect to see him hit another homerun?

Reaction Score

I don't remember last year's post. With whom did you advise she should have been replaced by ?

Reaction Score
Whoa. Time for a little decaf here. No one (that I know of) said she should "take over the team next year" but Kia Nurse has earned the right and will be an integral part of our team next year.

In all honesty, I didn't see any of her Olympic Games and, frankly, I don't care about them. What I can tell you is that from the time she walked onto the court in her freshman year she did everything that was asked of her and more. Yes, it helps your game when you're surrounded by three All-Americans and any weaknesses she has in her game might be a little more "exposed" this year but that would be true of any player who played with the Big Three.

Kia is a total team player who gives 100% all of the time. As they say "I'm With Her".

Reaction Score
lol.
9 replies to the first poster who actually thought it worthwhile to engage the OP.
(note to @Dougie - no, it's not)

Reaction Score
Kia is going to follow a tradition of UCONN guards who can play either the point or two guard well. To continue the undefeated string, our need right now is for a shot blocker. Either Katie Lou getting stronger, Natalie jumping higher, or a secret recruit from another country in The Olympics.

Reaction Score

I'm a Kia Fan from 2 points of view--Canadian and UConn--but I agree. You saw what I saw. But I never thought Kia would be the floor leader because with Uconn she "at times" played out of control and would rather bang some player than make the shot. She never made decisions that could or would cost the game--but not smart choices.
Dangerfield--hasn't yet the Div 1 experience to run the team--but I fully expect she shall. Who then will fill Jeffersons huge shoes?

Kia is going to follow a tradition of UCONN guards who can play either the point or two guard well. To continue the undefeated string, our need right now is for a shot blocker. Either Katie Lou getting stronger, Natalie jumping higher, or a secret recruit from another country in The Olympics.
Katie can get stronger--but Natalie I doubt shall ever jump higher1.
Compare Kia to Sue, Jefferson, Maria Conlon, Rene, to name a few--ball handling is much more important than scoring but Uconn points regularly do contribute to the scoring when needed. I'm not sure Kia sees all that good point guards need to see. A uconn guard has to see plays developing and be ready with the pass that can be passed to the scorer. Has Kia done that??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm a Kia Fan from 2 points of view--Canadian and UConn--but I agree. You saw what I saw. But I never thought Kia would be the floor leader because with Uconn she "at times" played out of control

Thank goodness Moriah never did that....

Kia will be fine and a great mentor for Crystal.

Reaction Score
Thank goodness Moriah never did that....

Kia will be fine and a great mentor for Crystal.

Every one including Mariah look out of control at times but if Kia can play "out of control" as often as Mariah did---you maybe right.
As a Junior mentor she is probably very good--as a point I'll wait and see. AS they say--you can take the girl out of hockey but can you take the hockey out of the girl??
I was a Jefferson supporter and would have played her longer against Diggins than Geno did--Mariah was worth trusting--Geno's guards told him prior to the NCAA to trust Mariah--he did and she was worth the trust.

Reaction Score
I'm still betting on Kia to play point until Crystal becomes a starter; then Kia slides over to the 2 position again, and, as others have said, mentors Crystal.

Let's remember something very, very important: Geno trusts her completely on defense. She's got fantastic defensive intensity.

Reaction Score

Please don't waste our time with ill-informed posts.

Reaction Score
Hey troll--
Kia is a rising college junior playing against professionals with years of international experience. Geno understands this, but apparently you do not.
Coach---this "troll" is beneath you. You are usually accepting of opinions. And these are just opinions. Obviously, Geno shall have the final say and dependent upon his needs and player availability. All Canadian team members are not pros I know a couple are college players.
Kia is one kid that has had lots of international play with the Canadian national team and the Olympic team--she is no novice as novices go. Geno had one of his first looks at her in Mexico with the Ca National Team . As far as "rising" Geno tells his Juniors and Senior--he expects them to know the system and to receive little or no coaching which time he spends with Frosh and Sophs--in terms of Geno she has risen.

No insult intended--you just surprised me with the comment!! Throw the Troll away and the comment is Standard Bags.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Kia's "flaw" is that she doesn't trust herself enough. She's a great talent. She just needs not to second-guess herself.

Reaction Score
You may remember that Kia was under the gun last year when it appeared her game had slipped from her first go-round. She eventually righted herself and was instrumental in UConn's NC push. At the time when critics were buzzing, I wrote that every game the Huskies lost while Kia started was her fault. Ditto.

Reaction Score
I'm still betting on Kia to play point until Crystal becomes a starter; then Kia slides over to the 2 position again, and, as others have said, mentors Crystal.

Let's remember something very, very important: Geno trusts her completely on defense. She's got fantastic defensive intensity.
Thanks Bags---I appreciate the "like " on the other comment. No doubt Crystal (Xtal) will need a mentor with lots of experience and Kia has that to give. Xtal may be a starter sooner than later, this being an "off" year, maybe Geno will give her the opportunity to lead--with help.

Reaction Score
You may remember that Kia was under the gun last year when it appeared her game had slipped from her first go-round. She eventually righted herself and was instrumental in UConn's NC push. At the time when critics were buzzing, I wrote that every game the Huskies lost while Kia started was her fault. Ditto.

If Kia can guarantee that the losses this years team endures shall be equal to those Kia has lost so far--that will make me relatively pleased\but I'm a perfectionist (for everyone else).

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Shouldn't we infer that Kia was not 100% for some or all of last season? Or did that sports hernia just happen this past spring? She didn't have as good a year as I thought she would, maybe she was playing with some discomfort all year? (what we non-doctors call pain)

Reaction Score
A 2 year uconn starter and Canadian national team starter is not going to be the floor leader this season because who is going to have that role instead?

I don't see Kia as an all American next year but she is the best option available. And UConn will have multiple challenges - the team will not live or die solely on her performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom