In honor of Kibitzer: Badass award for UCF game... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In honor of Kibitzer: Badass award for UCF game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Napheesa eventually could have the UConn record for highest field goal percentage because she is so efficient at scoring off misses or scraps under the basket and that type of thing. Within five feet, she's like gold and rarely misses. She has a nose for the basket, to say the least.
You know, as amazing as Napheesa is and as accurate as she has been, she is now sitting at .644 from the floor - the mark she would have to reach for a single season is .759!!! Tamika Williams single season and career (.703) marks are not going to fall easily!!! In fact she owns the top four single season marks in school history .759, .714, .704, and as a freshman a very pedestrian .658! I think it might be more realistic for Napheesa to aim at getting into the top 4 or just displacing her teammate in the #5 spot - Gabby at .636

Reaction Score
Gabby is always the biggest badass on the floor...and that's saying a lot on this team...Napheesia is the silent assassin, she just kills you with the death of 1,000 cuts and watches you bleed out...Lou is like a nuclear weapon, drops a few big boys on you and watches the mushroom cloud carry your dreams away...

Reaction Score
In general, the play of these three was very close but if I ranked their performances for wow factor,

1) Gabby Williams for forceful intimidating defense and solid offense

2) Lou for her 3 pt spreading effect and clutch jump shooting and leading rebounding

3) Naphessa had a very nice offensive game but it seemed a little quiet.

For me Collier represents the things I most admire about UCONN WBB. Her performances are always going to be seen as being "quiet" in comparison to KLS's exciting three point shooting or Gabby's spectacular athleticism.

Being in the right place at the right time, shooting efficiently, and taking on the "tall trees" underneath, won't show as well as the highlight reel plays that are taking place around her, but she continues to demonstrate the fundamental skills upon which coaching staffs build succesful teams.

UCONN is about the pass, the cut, the boxout, the break, steady unrelenting defense and Napheesa is about all of those things. As encouraging as Kara Lawson's comment about NC was I would guess that the high volume shooters/scorers from around the country (most of whom all but disappear when playing us) will attract more attention with AA voters than the more efficient and productive Collier.

This year's team is not the greatest we've had and it may not win the National Championship but in my 24 year allegiance to the UCONN program I have never been more excited by the play of the team. The 95 team will always stand apart because they went where no other UCONN BB team had been before them, but this year's team was discounted by most of the wcbb world as one that would "come back to the pack" (insert Muffet's comments here), but instead here we sit undefeated at #1 having marched through a brutal OOC schedule and it's due at least in part to the understated play of Napheesa.

She wasn't the #1 HS player in the country, a star for her country's National Team, or competed for an Olympic berth in the high jump, but she is now a critical part of the UCONN machine that is plowing through opponent after opponent.

We've won past NC's while being led by icons of the game (Lobo, D, Maya, Stewie), but this year we are heading that way being led by a four headed hydra that can't be derailed by cutting off just one head and Napheesa's "quiet" play is no less important than the exciting contributions of KLS and Gabby.

I unabashedly love this team and every game is exciting because we never know just which one of our "stars" is going to shine the brightest, but for my part I consider Napheesa to be the equal of the others whether her games seem to sparkle or not.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
For me Collier represents the things I most admire about UCONN WBB. Her performances are always going to be seen as being "quiet" in comparison to KLS's exciting three point shooting or Gabby's spectacular athleticism.

Being in the right place at the right time, shooting efficiently, and taking on the "tall trees" underneath, won't show as well as the highlight reel plays that are taking place around her, but she continues to demonstrate the fundamental skills upon which coaching staffs build succesful teams.

UCONN is about the pass, the cut, the boxout, the break, steady unrelenting defense and Napheesa is about all of those things. As encouraging as Kara Lawson's comment about NC was I would guess that the high volume shooters/scorers from around the country (most of whom all but disappear when playing us) will attract more attention with AA voters than the more efficient and productive Collier.

This year's team is not the greatest we've had and it may not win the National Championship but in my 24 year allegiance to the UCONN program I have never been more excited by the play of the team. The 95 team will always stand apart because they went where no other UCONN BB team had been before them, but this year's team was discounted by most of the wcbb world as one that would "come back to the pack" (insert Muffet's comments here), but instead here we sit undefeated at #1 having marched through a brutal OOC schedule and it's due at least in part to the understated play of Napheesa.

She wasn't the #1 HS player in the country, a star for her country's National Team, or competed for an Olympic berth in the high jump, but she is now a critical part of the UCONN machine that is plowing through opponent after opponent.

We've won past NC's while being led by icons of the game (Lobo, D, Maya, Stewie), but this year we are heading that way being led by a four headed hydra that can't be derailed by cutting off just one head and Napheesa's "quiet" play is no less important than the exciting contributions of KLS and Gabby.

I unabashedly love this team and every game is exciting because we never know just which one of our "stars" is going to shine the brightest, but for my part I consider Napheesa to be the equal of the others whether her games seem to sparkle or not.
Heckuva post.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I guess I see you all differently. The opposing coaches set up a scout and they put the players they fear the most on that scout. The first 2 players they would put on the board IMO are KLS and Williams then Nurse. You could argue that Nurse is also being over shadowed but quite honestly without KLS and Nurse being able to hit the 3, you get nothing in the paint. Williams IMO gets points that some would not expect her to get against bigger players, KLS gets points while being the subject of a box and one and help on doubles, Wiliams gets doubled in the low block. The player who benefits most Collier, which is why she seems to be open quite a lot and takes advantage, thus the higher % than Williams. It is a nice problem to have especially when you add in Chong who is often giving very productive minutes. You then bring in Dangerfield and Butler as adding to the productivity whether they are as good as your starters is irrelevant as they are providing what is needed. This is not a knock on anyone but usually when players are left open it is because they are lower on the list of the defensive scout. To add to the importance of Butler, she is not left open so that is a plus for your team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm in Detroit getting ready to see the Packers vs Lions tonight so no access to seeing the game. Quick glimpse at the box score - surprised we had as many turnovers as assists, especially after reading the score. For anyone who saw the game, any explanation for this?
UCF cheated on the cross court passes all day and got about 1/2 dozen steals that way. A few of the UCONN players cooperated with the UCF game plan and kept trying to throw that pass. That type of cooperation (two consecutive TO) got Saniya a seat on the bench at one point during the game.

Reaction Score
Kib thanks you Alex for filling in for him. He fulfilled his New Year resolution by getting rid of his:mad: gallbladder this morning. Surgery went well and he appears to be on the mend. Thank you for all of your prayers and get well wishes:) Mrs Kib and cheesedanish

Mrs. Kib,
Have we an update on Kibs recovery?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Yeah, Pheesa does things so smoothly that they are easy to miss. She took only 11 shots, but made practically ALL of them. 90% FG shooting is Badass!

You are still on for the Badass tonight. Kib might not be able to be sprung today. He is on the mend. Sitting up and now trying real food today. Unfortunately can't get SNY at the VA

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are still on for the Badass tonight. Kib might not be able to be sprung today. He is on the mend. Sitting up and now trying real food today. Unfortunately can't get SNY at the VA
Give Kib our collective Boneyard VERY Best!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Mrs. Kib,
Have we an update on Kibs recovery?

sitting up in his chair and starting real food today.Wanting to get back home to be able to post and watch the games. Milford Huskie is in charge of the Badass tonight as he will be at the game tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom