In her own words: As you listen to this, Moriah Jefferson is becoming an elite WNBA PG | The Boneyard

In her own words: As you listen to this, Moriah Jefferson is becoming an elite WNBA PG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no denying her success though, as she currently sits second among rookies in scoring with 12.6 points per game, behind only her ex-Husky teammate Breanna Stewart. That is also second to McBride on the Stars.

Jefferson leads all rookies in assists at 4.0 per game, good enough for eighth in the league. Perhaps most notable though, is she only has committed five turnovers or more once this season, an impressive stat, especially for a rookie point guard. As a comparison, Sue Bird has committed five turnovers four times this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Mo was my favorite UConn player last season. Needless to say, I'm delighted to see her doing so well as a professional at the next level. She's good, but she's not the player she will be in 2-3 years. She'll only get better, and become much more comfortable and productive as time goes on. Mo wants to be great.

The stars still need an infusion of superior level talent to join her and McBride. If San Antonio can continue to sign good players that excel on both ends of the court, then they will have a legitimate chance of making, and going deep into the playoffs every season.

Right now, they have the worst record in the W at 6-23, and reside in the cellar of the western conference. Their counterparts (Connecticut) in the eastern conference are 11-18. Losing their leading scorer Kayla McBride, at the beginning of the season, played a large roll in their fall from grace this season. When McBride went down, the lights went out on their season, and too any hopes they had about qualifying for the post-season.

Mo has a great attitude, and an even greater work ethic. Mo will be fine. Like Maya Moore, Mo will continue to exemplify all of the characteristics and ideals of the UConn basketball program, as well as be an excellent role model for younger aspiring female basketball players everywhere.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice post Carnac. Also, I would add that Mo is positioning herself to be a leading contender for the US National team if/when Sue and/or Lindsay retire. Compared to any of the other PG contenders, her stats are outstanding. As she's only a rookie, they are otherworldly.

Reaction Score
If you listen, we discuss the future and USA Basketball...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thank you!
Thought I would add this from a previous thread:
Some rookie stats:
Minutes: Stewart #1 (35.1), Moriah #2 (29.4), #3 is Mitchell at 21.4 and no other rookie is above 20.
Points: Stewart #1 (18.2), Moriah #2 (12.5), #3 is Powers at 10.2 and no other is above 10
Field goal %: Stewart #4 (45.2), Moriah #6 (43.3 and #1 guard), Courtney Williams (40.9) is the only other guard above 40
3Pt %: Moriah #3 at 40.6 %, and the only one of the three taking more than 1 three point shot a game (2.9) No one else making more than 1.0 attempts is above 35.5% (Ariel Powers)
Rebounds: Stewart #1, Moriah #8 and the #2 guard behind Williams
Assists: Moriah #1 (4.1), Stewart #2 (3.6), #3 Mitchell at 1.5
A/TO: Moriah #1 (2.3), Stewart # 5 (1.6) - Belyakova at 2.1 is th only other 'rookie' above 2.0
Steals: Moriah #1 (1.5), Stewart #2 (1.2) - #3 Powers at 1.0 is the other rookie at or above 1.0

I know that most of the above are raw numbers and per 40 numbers would move both Stewart and Jefferson down some of the stats, but the criteria for POY/ROY is really raw numbers driven - how much do you produce per game for your team, and if you are only playing 15 minutes, then obviously your coach doesn't think you are producing enough compared to their other options!

Reaction Score
There is no denying her success though, as she currently sits second among rookies in scoring with 12.6 points per game, behind only her ex-Husky teammate Breanna Stewart. That is also second to McBride on the Stars.

Jefferson leads all rookies in assists at 4.0 per game, good enough for eighth in the league. Perhaps most notable though, is she only has committed five turnovers or more once this season, an impressive stat, especially for a rookie point guard. As a comparison, Sue Bird has committed five turnovers four times this season.

Someone might have noted this elsewhere, but where will Moriah be playing this winter? Has she announced her overseas destination yet?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Moriah has reminded me of someone for years and after watching this video I finally figured out who it is. Barry Sanders. Man I used to like watching him move through the defenses just like I enjoy watching MoJeff.
I wonder who's faster?

Reaction Score
I wonder who's faster?
It is Gabby,
At age 15, she was the youngest competitor in the 2012 United States Olympic Track & Field Trials held in Eugene, Ore. and cleared 6'2.25" -- the sixth-best ever for a high school athlete and tying Amy Acuff's 21-year-old top mark for a sophomore ... Finished fifth in a field that included five-time national champion and world silver medalist Chaunte Lowe, the highest collegiate jumper ever in Brigetta Barrett, and five-time Olympian Acuff.

Reaction Score
Mo was my favorite UConn player last season. Needless to say, I'm delighted to see her doing so well as a professional at the next level. She's good, but she's not the player she will be in 2-3 years. She'll only get better, and become much more comfortable and productive as time goes on. Mo wants to be great.

The stars still need an infusion of superior level talent to join her and McBride. If San Antonio can continue to sign good players that excel on both ends of the court, then they will have a legitimate chance of making, and going deep into the playoffs every season.

Right now, they have the worst record in the W at 6-23, and reside in the cellar of the western conference. Their counterparts (Connecticut) in the eastern conference are 11-18. Losing their leading scorer Kayla McBride, at the beginning of the season, played a large roll in their fall from grace this season. When McBride went down, the lights went out on their season, and too any hopes they had about qualifying for the post-season.

Mo has a great attitude, and an even greater work ethic. Mo will be fine. Like Maya Moore, Mo will continue to exemplify all of the characteristics and ideals of the UConn basketball program, as well as be an excellent role model for younger aspiring female basketball players everywhere.

I join you in your praise of Might Mo! I expected her to have an impact on her team and it's success.
But not the impact she has had. I also expect her fill Sue's role as the lead point on the USA/Olympic teams of the future. I've been among her top fans--I'm a Sue lover and felt a sense of betrayal of Sue when I chose Mo over Sue as the top if not one of the--TOP UConn Pg's ever. Ill take a hit for this too--I thought in her Frosh year Geno should have used her longer in ND games--she proved that point later on against ND and McBride (a match up I could not have predicted).

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Would love it if she made it to Tokyo in 2020. I honestly thought once she blossomed during her college career that 2020 was a possibility for her.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I fretted that Moriah's slim frame would encourage her heftier opponents in the W into frustration fouls that would incapacitate her or worse.
But here she is, performing her complete repertoire of magic tricks seen since her high school vids.
Seemingly without a care.

Tough, tough kid; small frame, big heart, big talent.

You need a scorer, well duh, I cam do that too.

An absolute shoo-in for the Olympics next...And of course (typical for Mo as well as me)
Do no one even think to give her a peek, this time around.
Bet you Geno did...But he didn't have a vote. :)

Shame .

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I fretted that Moriah's slim frame would encourage her heftier opponents in the W into frustration fouls that would incapacitate her or worse.
But here she is, performing her complete repertoire of magic tricks seen since her high school vids.

An absolute shoo-in for the Olympics next...And of course (typical for Mo as well as me)

Shame .
Yes - I was really surprised she wasn't added to the USA pool this past year - didn't expect her to make the team, but thought she should have been given the exposure. I can't imagine that she will not be there when the 2018 WC team gets together for the first trials/training session. Again not sure she will make that team but she needs to be there pushing. She will have at least one foreign season under her belt by then.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Would love it if she made it to Tokyo in 2020. I honestly thought once she blossomed during her college career that 2020 was a possibility for her.

In 4 years. Mo will only be 25 years old, and still well within her "prime". Mo will be a savvy old veteran by then, still breaking ankles and hearts.

She will no doubt be one of the leading candidates to be one of the two USA point guards. Any player vacantcies that need to be filled in 2020, will no doubt come from this year's select team team, who if you remember, only lost to them by 4 points.

Personally I thought the select team could have/should have won that game. They missed some lay ups, put backs and free throws in the wanning moments of the game that would have sealed the win for them.

I had the pleasure of attending that game. I loved it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The select team was just that, a group of players who were available (and I think under 25?) to show up. I am sure some players who were asked couldn't make it or declined to do so, but I don't think USA would hold that against them. There were notably some USA pool players who were not there including a number who were injured at the time. I would not use that game to judge who will be part of the pool for 2018.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Shame .

I just hope she's durable enough. The wear and tear of her game style is pretty high. And, BTW, she's not becoming anything, she's already an elite WNBA player who gets special attention in every opponent's game planning/briefing. Mo is a stud!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just hope she's durable enough. The wear and tear of her game style is pretty high. And, BTW, she's not becoming anything, she's already an elite WNBA player who gets special attention in every opponent's game planning/briefing. Mo is a stud!
I have been watching most of the SA games and in the past couple of months as it became apparent that she was the leading scorer on the team and the only real threat, I have been amused by the amount of attention she receives when she does not have the ball - teams are never helping off of her, but keeping her defender glued to her. Even when they play a zone wherever she is tends to be the focus of the zone.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have been watching most of the SA games and in the past couple of months as it became apparent that she was the leading scorer on the team and the only real threat, I have been amused by the amount of attention she receives when she does not have the ball - teams are never helping off of her, but keeping her defender glued to her. Even when they play a zone wherever she is tends to be the focus of the zone.

As well they should. Elite passer, ankle breaker and shoots the 3 and pull up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom