In game lineups: The 2, the 3 and the 4 spots | The Boneyard

In game lineups: The 2, the 3 and the 4 spots

Reaction Score
Carlton and Whaley exclusively at the 5. AG at the 1 with Gaffney subbing him out, but also playing the 2 alongside Gilbert (dual points) with AG also getting time off the ball.

Hurley has some good flexibility at the 2,3,4, with our bench looking really good this year not taking into account our current open schollie at the 4/5. Akok, Polley, Wilson, Adams, Bouknight, and Vital all being shuffled in and out, an active rotation allowing the defense to bear down and still get points up on offense.

10 deep right now; I see everyone getting minutes.

Reaction Score
Carlton and Whaley exclusively at the 5. AG at the 1 with Gaffney subbing him out, but also playing the 2 alongside Gilbert (dual points) with AG also getting time off the ball.

Hurley has some good flexibility at the 2,3,4, with our bench looking really good this year not taking into account our current open schollie at the 4/5. Akok, Polley, Wilson, Adams, Bouknight, and Vital all being shuffled in and out, an active rotation allowing the defense to bear down and still get points up on offense.

Are we 10 deep? We have a lot of unproven players with Wilson, Adams, and Whaley + 3 freshman.

Reaction Score

Getting minutes maybe 10, but getting meaningful minutes probably only 8. Can't see Adams or Wilson getting much court time if our Freshman are as goods as advertised.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Getting minutes maybe 10, but getting meaningful minutes probably only 8. Can't see Adams or Wilson getting much court time if our Freshman are as goods as advertised.
We'll know more pretty quickly. I'm looking for Adams to make the Soph jump this year. He looked lost sometimes last year and his conditioning didn't look great. I'd expect both of those to change.

Sid is a big question mark for me. There a moments when he surprises you with athleticism but other when he looks lost. But keep in mind he didn't play a full season, so that may be why he looked so out of sync at times. I have no idea how Sid will do this year, but the lack of mentions about him worry me a bit.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I think Akok may see some minutes at the 5.

Against smaller teams, yes. I could see a front court of Polley and Akok against smaller teams. They are both a legit 6’9 and can really space the floor. They just won’t be able to rebound against bigger teams.

Reaction Score
That is a big "if" when talking about the incoming freshmen> I have learned from experience to not believe the hype.

Reaction Score
if, come conference play, our starting/crunch-time lineup and minute distribution is looking something like this...then it's tourney time again!!

gilbert (28)--gaffney (16)
vital (28)----adams (8)
bouk (24)---wilson (12)
akok (24)---polley (22)
carlton (28)-whaley (10)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are we 10 deep? We have a lot of unproven players with Wilson, Adams, and Whaley + 3 freshman.
We are always 10 deep (on this Board) until the season gets going.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That is a big "if" when talking about the incoming freshmen> I have learned from experience to not believe the hype.

Especially when Wilson was similarly regarded coming in. I think he will make a jump this year. He needs to and we need him to.

Reaction Score
when it comes to wilson my favorite aspect of him is the fact that he is just going to be a sophomore. honestly not sure what to expect from him. i really hope he makes a leap this year but even if he doesn’t he has two more years to turn that raw elite athleticism into a productive basketball player. hard to imagine him not having at least 1 highly impactful season in storrs. might need to be patient with this one...

Reaction Score
Not a lot of love lately for Sid Wilson. There's been some scattered posts not expecting too much from him this year, and I think it's going to go the other way. With his athleticism, 6'7 plus length, and leaping ability, I'm looking for Sid to be one of our better defenders this year from the 3 point line to the rim. He did look somewhat out of synch at times last season, but this is only his sophomore year coming up. Offensively I'm expecting a 2nd year jump out of him.

Reaction Score
I think Akok may see some minutes at the 5.

The thing is if Akok sees minutes at the "5" we will not be playing with a 5 at that point just playing small. The fact we couldn't get a big whether it was Vladir or whomever is a problem. And that's even with Whaley playing decent minutes there's still a problem if Carlton gets in foul trouble or injured God forbid. Whaley I believe can give us some minutes but he needs to figure out that foul situation he is too "good" at, needs to keep them down. When we go small we won't rebound at all nor will we be able to defend the low post if indeed the other team has one.

As far as Sid he has more to prove than anyone especially based on expectations. He needs to have a clue what to do on both ends especially defense where he was completely lost 90% of the time. He cold make a huge difference with a big leap but I'm not expecting it. really really hope I'm wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom