In-game coaching...Tony Vasaturo | The Boneyard

In-game coaching...Tony Vasaturo

Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed that our Dir. of Scouting Video has been more involved in time out huddles? This seems alarming to me that Ollie's best in-game resources are an asst. coach that was brought on specifically for his recruiting strength and a recent college graduate. Not saying Tony's insight should be ignored, but why ignore Killings and Moore?

If KO is brought back for next year I would suggest fresh blood on the bench to help with in-game adjustments and player development.

Reaction Score
Yes. It's really, really odd. How many programs of our caliber have a 26/27 year old first year director of video/scouting be the focal point of the huddle?

Reaction Score
I think everybody is overreacting a little bit from what I’ve heard this kid Tony knows the game of basketball. People I’ve spoken to say he is very good at teaching the game and has a bright future ahead of him. But I should know this is the boneyard and people here loving nothing more than to find something trivial to complain about, so please don’t mind me and continue on.

Reaction Score
I think everybody is overreacting a little bit from what I’ve heard this kid Tony knows the game of basketball. People I’ve spoken to say he is very good at teaching the game and has a bright future ahead of him. But I should know this is the boneyard and people here loving nothing more than to find something trivial to complain about, so please don’t mind me and continue on.
I have met Tony a few times pre-UConn. He's a really nice guy. That being said, do you see any other major programs turning to a 20-something during timeouts? This isn't a knock on Tony, it's just a head scratcher.

Reaction Score
This is a non-story.

If Calhoun did this people would be calling it a genius move, developing trust and accountability in staff.
Sure, if the results were there and it actually looked like we made adjustments throughout the game.

He very well may have a bright future - but in the interim, KO should have tenured asst. coaches. Too many projects as players and coaches.

Reaction Score
I have met Tony a few times pre-UConn. He's a really nice guy. That being said, do you see any other major programs turning to a 20-something during timeouts? This isn't a knock on Tony, it's just a head scratcher.
Louisville has a 33(?) Yr old head coach. Different circumstances, but I'd say he's doing a pretty good job

Reaction Score
I noticed that too. He's probably better at in game adjustments than anyone else on the staff (including our 3 mil a year coach).

We just don't have a well balanced staff. We have two assistants who are supposed to be recruiters, neither one seems to do much in game coaching, neither one seems to be much of an x's and o's guy, or great at coaching fundamentals. They just sit there looking shell shocked during games. And who knows what in the world Ricky Moore brings to the table (besides zero coaching experience). He doesn't even sit with KO and the other assistants, he sits way down the bench with Kevin Freeman. It's kind of bizarre. The makeup of the staff is just strange and not very well rounded, much like the team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
this thread is ridiculous
If the guy is on the staff he does what the team needs and what KO asks
If anyone thinks Chill was brought to UConn for his game coaching ability your head has been in the sand or worse
Kill is very involved and has been since he has been on staff
RM and KF are more practice coaches and have other responsibilities
I have interacted with Tony on a few occasions and while young, he has a damn good feel for the game and from what I have heard can really breakdown an opponents game plan, etc

Reaction Score
this thread is ridiculous
If the guy is on the staff he does what the team needs and what KO asks
If anyone thinks Chill was brought to UConn for his game coaching ability your head has been in the sand or worse
Kill is very involved and has been since he has been on staff
RM and KF are more practice coaches and have other responsibilities
I have interacted with Tony on a few occasions and while young, he has a damn good feel for the game and from what I have heard can really breakdown an opponents game plan, etc

No1 said Chill was on the staff for X's and O's, it's actually been specifically noted that his strength is recruiting and that's his purpose. However, there seems to be a void for in-game coaching and it was noted that our video scouting director, with no coaching experience, has been more involved recently. Not saying I have an issue with it, but rather the makeup of our staff is very questionable and could very well be one of the many factors for our recent slip.

The results are very concerning but if for whatever KO is brought back, the makeup of his staff needs to change.

Reaction Score
This is a non-story.

If Calhoun did this people would be calling it a genius move, developing trust and accountability in staff.

Sure, if you ignore all the other context that KO and the rest of his staff have been totally clueless.

Reaction Score
Hurley completely turned to Moore against the Bonnies (see pre play"huddle") before what could have been the biggest stop of the game. It turned into one of the biggest defensive breakdowns I have seen this year leading to an uncontested dunk.

I know I know....its MOORE. But still...it was UGLY.

Ok I went a bit off topic. Sorry. Have at it. My bad per the usual.

Reaction Score
This is a non-story.

Calhoun would never let a video scouting director talk during a timeout.

Reaction Score
Blaming this season on in game coaching misses the point because KO coached players through killer competition to a national title. And even though I prefer that KO goes we have a talent problem, and a shooting problem which of course he is responsible for.

pj

Reaction Score
Calhoun would never let a video scouting director talk during a timeout.

Calhoun would turn his back on the players during timeouts. He might have found a time to let the scouting director speak to players.

I think the difference you're looking for is that Calhoun always knew what he wanted said to his players. It's one thing to have another person deliver your message -- that can be a sound psychological tactic. It's another thing to not know what to say, and to rely on someone else to figure out the message.

I would also be concerned about NCAA rules regarding ancillary staff. Are they allowed to coach players? This could be construed as an evasion of the NCAA limits on size of the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Calhoun would turn his back on the players during timeouts. He might have found a time to let the scouting director speak to players.

I think the difference you're looking for is that Calhoun always knew what he wanted said to his players. It's one thing to have another person deliver your message -- that can be a sound psychological tactic. It's another thing to not know what to say, and to rely on someone else to figure out the message.

I would also be concerned about NCAA rules regarding ancillary staff. Are they allowed to coach players? This could be construed as an evasion of the NCAA limits on size of the coaching staff.

I just can't remember a time when any assistant other than Calhoun led a timeout. Maybe Blaney?

Reaction Score
Hurley completely turned to Moore against the Bonnies (see pre play"huddle") before what could have been the biggest stop of the game. It turned into one of the biggest defensive breakdowns I have seen this year leading to an uncontested dunk.

I know I know....its MOORE. But still...it was UGLY.

I know you’re saying something here. Hurley...Moore...I’m just not getting it. Are we talking Ricky Moore? Someone please explain

Reaction Score
I know you’re saying something here. Hurley...Moore...I’m just not getting it. Are we talking Ricky Moore? Someone please explain

Whoa! I get it! You meant that Hurley turned INTO Moore! Not that Hurly turned TO Moore, who I was presuming somehow gave Hurley bad defensive advice...
yup I’m going back to the home now, hope they have my favorite jello tonight

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore was probably the best on ball defender in the history of the program. The current players he coaches seem to have learned nothing from him. So what does that mean?

Reaction Score
. If this guy can help I’m all for it. For all we know we might have the next Brad Stevens as our Dir. of Scouting.

Reaction Score

I think it would be the same issue if Kevin Freeman is doing any coaching. He's the Director of Basketball Operations and that position cannot be involved in recruiting nor with coaching if I recall correctly. Too bad since he sure learned how to play inside as an undersized 4 man and some here believe the team needs some teaching on rebounding and interior play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I noticed that too. He's probably better at in game adjustments than anyone else on the staff (including our 3 mil a year coach).

We just don't have a well balanced staff. We have two assistants who are supposed to be recruiters, neither one seems to do much in game coaching, neither one seems to be much of an x's and o's guy, or great at coaching fundamentals. They just sit there looking shell shocked during games. And who knows what in the world Ricky Moore brings to the table (besides zero coaching experience). He doesn't even sit with KO and the other assistants, he sits way down the bench with Kevin Freeman. It's kind of bizarre. The makeup of the staff is just strange and not very well rounded, much like the team.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Tony was the brightest guy on the bench. Kill and Chill seem like empty suits during games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom