In Defense of the Praise of A'ja | The Boneyard

In Defense of the Praise of A'ja

Reaction Score
Seeing on the Board that ESPN was better tonight, I had the sound on. Meh.

But A'ja deserves the praise. She did a fantastic job for the program. I don't remember much about USC before A'ja (maybe there's a reason for that!), but they now draw huge crowds. And in a state whose social values aren't, shall we say, especially progressive, they went wild for WCBB. I don't know anything remotely bad about A'ja. If you want to criticize, criticize the media (very, very low hanging fruit in these days of budget cutbacks). But the more great players who lift their teams, the better it is for everyone.

Reaction Score
Agree. 27 points, 8 rebounds, while UConn was keying on her. That's impressive. And she seems like a first class young lady. I'll be rooting for her when she plays in the W with Moriah.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What's not to like about A'ja Wilson? She stayed home and helped transform her state's flagship university from also-ran to national champion.

Reaction Score
No matter the sport, analysts, networks and sports writers tend to gush about the top talent. The Aja love has been pretty rampant all year but I agree, she's more than earned the accolades with her play and conduct. She's the best overall player in the country and yes some others are not far behind but she's the Rebecca Lobo of SC; a top tier talent who chose to go to a program that was ascending and laid a foundation for the future.

I'm unsure if SC can keep it up without her but will be watching.

Reaction Score
wilsonaccolades.jpg

Reaction Score
She is a great player... but they are all talking so somber... she's got a great career ahead of her...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Before the A'ja era, SC's best postseason finish was an Elite Eight in 2002.

With A'ja, SC reached 2 Final Fours and is the only team other than UConn to win the tournament in the past 6 years.

upload_2018-3-26_20-4-14.png

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score

But A'ja deserves the praise. She did a fantastic job for the program. I don't remember much about USC before A'ja (maybe there's a reason for that!), but they now draw huge crowds. And in a state whose social values aren't, shall we say, especially progressive, they went wild for WCBB. I don't know anything remotely bad about A'ja. If you want to criticize, criticize the media (very, very low hanging fruit in these days of budget cutbacks). But the more great players who lift their teams, the better it is for everyone.

Terrific player and by all means give her the accolades she deserves, but good grief, ESPN prattled on and on the entire 2nd half, rarely even mentioning the thrashing being delivered by UConn. And how can someone be NPOY when they don’t play defense. I lost count at 7 times she stepped aside to allow uncontested layups.

Reaction Score
Terrific player and by all means give her the accolades she deserves, but good grief, ESPN prattled on and on the entire 2nd half, rarely even mentioning the thrashing being delivered by UConn. And how can someone be NPOY when they don’t play defense. I lost count at 7 times she stepped aside to allow uncontested layups.
D was NPOY and she still doesn't know what the word "defense" means.

Reaction Score

She doesn't play defense? She was Co SEC defensive player of the year

toadfoot

Reaction Score
D was NPOY and she still doesn't know what the word "defense" means.

Irrelevant. Diana was the greatest offensive player of her generation. Wilson can make no similar claim.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
She doesn't play defense? She was Co SEC defensive player of the year

Watch the replay and then tell me she’s a good defender.

Reaction Score
Irrelevant. Diana was the greatest offensive player of her generation. Wilson can make no similar claim.
Reread what you wrote: And how can someone be NPOY when they don’t play defense. I was responding to that claim. Whether D was the greatest or worst offensive player of her generation is irrelevant to your original claim.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<Beautiful post. It's so easy to demonize an opponent. And yet so satisfying to just appreciate greatness. >>

I've read every post on this thread and not one came close to "demonizing" her. In fact, most were highly appreciative of her career at South Carolina. Most, including me, aimed our barbs at ESPN.

Reaction Score
she was an amazing player but never was a difference maker against us. She was outcast by our girls.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I'm not quite sure I get what "progressive social values" have to do with being a women's BB fan. Plenty of teams in plenty of states you might choose to describe that way have had great WCBB teams and supported them well from time to time. Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, Baylor, Oklahoma, Mississippi State and Louisville come to mind.

Reaction Score
She's good, but not in the same league as Breanna, Tina, Stef or a host of other bigs. She has shown me nothing but post-up. The greats could take you outside.
I think that she's better than Stef relative to them leaving college. If she can stay healthy, she'll be a better pro too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom