In defence of Anna's multiple traveling violations... | The Boneyard

In defence of Anna's multiple traveling violations...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
could it be a difference in the NCAA and FIBA rules. The way I understand the NCAA rule is the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot leaves the ground. But I googled around and found this on the FIBA rules for 2018;

A player who catches the ball while he is progressing, or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball: ▬ If, after receiving the ball, a player shall release the ball to start his dribble before his second step. ▬ The first step occurs when one foot or both feet touch the floor after gaining control of the ball. ▬ The second step occurs after the first step when the other foot touches the floor or both feet touch the floor simultaneously

The FIBA rule give the player a step before releasing the ball. Give me your thoughts rule mavens.

Reaction Score
Thought I could watch Anna’s sister to see how she moved in CU-Utah game but she must be injured and didn’t suit up. Utah, on the other hand, didn’t need her as they drilled 16 of 23 beyond arc—that’s 70%. I would be interested to know how many Europeans are traveling in college ball.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We understand she learned to play by that rule. However, when in Rome..............

Reaction Score
We understand she learned to play by that rule. However, when in Rome..............
We seem to be the outliers, even though we invented the game. I’d like to see 1 set of rules for everyone. Like to see 1 basketball size too. And 1 3-point line for all. The NBA will do whatever they want anyway.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Thought I could watch Anna’s sister to see how she moved in CU-Utah game but she must be injured and didn’t suit up. Utah, on the other hand, didn’t need her as they drilled 16 of 23 beyond arc—that’s 70%. I would be interested to know how many Europeans are traveling in college ball.

It was a major issue of Satou Sabally at Oregon during her freshman year (I can remember three straight violations in one game) and continued into the next as well. Not so, however, for the Aussies on the team (or even a freshman Brit).

Reaction Score
The ESPN commentators suggested same, so likely a habit to adjust based on where you play.

I'd like to explain away my BIGGER concern with AM the same way - not taking open shots or driving to the basket. Does the FIBA preclude players from shooting until their second year?

Hard to win when you don't shoot open shots - easier for the opponent to double team MW and we don't have much else. I don't know what it is, but it isn't good.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We seem to be the outliers, even though we invented the game. I’d like to see 1 set of rules for everyone. Like to see 1 basketball size too. And 1 3-point line for all. The NBA will do whatever they want anyway.
And I want to see the men's basket raised to 13 feet for college, professional and Olympic games.
But I am guessing that this is just me. The game wasn't invented to see you could dunk but who could shoot. (I know that when the game was invented no could or would dunk.) Heck there was a time when the NCAA banned dunking but dumped it because the game wasn't exciting anymore. Well it's pretty boring again when point guards are dunking left and right.
End of swerve.

Reaction Score
The ESPN commentators suggested same, so likely a habit to adjust based on where you play.

I'd like to explain away my BIGGER concern with AM the same way - not taking open shots or driving to the basket. Does the FIBA preclude players from shooting until their second year?

Hard to win when you don't shoot open shots - easier for the opponent to double team MW and we don't have much else. I don't know what it is, but it isn't good.
Is it possible the reluctance to shoot comes from MW’s reluctance to pass to AM when she’s open? Just saying...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Is it possible the reluctance to shoot comes from MW’s reluctance to pass to AM when she’s open? Just saying...

I think it’s the other way around — Anna’s reluctance to shoot is why she doesn’t get more looks.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
She is definitely getting more comfortable offensively, rebounds well, passes well, usually is in good defensive position. He officiating the other day was inconsistent at best, allowing mugging, then calling fouls were there was no contact. Calling traveling on the first dribble, then not on the extra steps after the ball was picked up.

Reaction Score
No, it looks
I think it’s the other way around — Anna’s reluctance to shoot is why she doesn’t get more looks.
No, it mainly looks the other way. Not that she doesn’t pass up shots.

Reaction Score
There has been several Huskies who traveled with their step through move or up and under.

Reaction Score
She is definitely getting more comfortable offensively, rebounds well, passes well, usually is in good defensive position. He officiating the other day was inconsistent at best, allowing mugging, then calling fouls were there was no contact. Calling traveling on the first dribble, then not on the extra steps after the ball was picked up.
Watched the Oregon game replay and several players on both sides moved and picked up their dibble exactly the same as Anna. Wonder if there is a new focus on this rule or if opposing coaches call this to ref's attention prior to game. Walker also has had this call go against her a lot this year.

Reaction Score
Watched the Oregon game replay and several players on both sides moved and picked up their dibble exactly the same as Anna. Wonder if there is a new focus on this rule or if opposing coaches call this to ref's attention prior to game. Walker also has had this call go against her a lot this year.
Yes, coaches calling this to ref’s attention is part of their job and refs, who might prefer to ignore these, are forced to call it. I was coaching at first base during a major tournament on a travel softball team when our pitcher was called for crow hopping. As a pitching coach, I was reluctant to point this out on opponents but in this case when the other team took the field and I went into coaching box, I told ump standing next to me that the opposing pitcher was also crow hopping. For a while every pitch was deemed illegal (it is a relative easy fix but both pitchers were rattled by calls) and finally the umps agreed to ignore minor crow hops. We agreed to teach our pitchers how to correct problem for subsequent games. I could usually correct this with a trip to the rubber but, as I say, this was a 14-U team and the girls just lost it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom