In case/when UConn loses a game next year.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In case/when UConn loses a game next year....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't remember any "good losses". Don't believe in them.
I do, actually. When UConn lost the Big East Championship to Villanova in 2003, that was a good loss. The team had been getting lackadaiscal and playing less disciplined games leading up to the BE tourney, including that mess at Providence where Stacy Marron, of all people, had to spark the team. The poor play finally caught up to them and the Huskies were upset in the tourney. Diana Taurasi was outraged at losing and just went on a tear in the NCAA tournament. There were some scary games (ay yi yi, the Texas game!) but the Huskies eventually won the championship. IMO, the loss focused the team, making it a "good" loss.

Reaction Score
The only thing I hope or want from UCONN WBB each year is for them to remain injury and/or sickness free for the entire season from Sept. 1st to April 8th! If they can do that Ill take what-ever happens on the court!
I figure if they can remain injury/sickness free they'll put together a great season!
It may not be a championship but it will be a highly competitive season!

Reaction Score
It's been so long that it would be good to review how Yarders reacted to previous loses (spoiler alert: not well). Here's the page from the 2012 St. John's loss:
UConn Women's Basketball

note that Nan closed two of the threads, suggesting just how tiresome the complaints and second guessing get.

Ancient Stoics practiced thinking about the worst thing that could befall them, in order to be able to control their emotions when bad things actually did occur. So, how are we going to feel if ND takes UConn apart at South Bend in front of a national TV audience?

Great minds . . . I've been thinking about the prospect of losing and what to do about it/before it happens/after it happens. So far I have a list of things to do. Currently I'm researching suicide hot lines/cluster suicides/right to die options. My list will be revealed to one and all closer to the actual season. I hope you'll have many additions, though the list may never be needed (as if).

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Based on the yelling and screaming I witnessed here during this undefeated run, I can't even imagine what the reaction will be when UConn finally looses a game, never mind a few games...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sadly, I agree with you. For a few Huskie fans, winning isn't good enough - ya gotta win big, ya gotta cross the T's and dot the I's while doing it. And, each player has to get their "proper" amount of PT, the coaches can't take a chance or make a mistake, .. well, you get the picture. Unfortunately, there are a few fans who seem to expect more out of college players than they do out of professional adults who are paid millions, if not tens of millions of dollars, to play their sport.

My favorite example of this sort of ultra-entitled, smarter-than-thou mindset are the critical comments directed at freshmen, playing in the exhibition game season. Stop and think about that for a second -18 year-old kids in October or early November of their first semester in college, getting scorched on a message board for making a mistake or not finishing something as the poster would like. Un-freakin'-believable. But, it's happened before, and I'd make a decent-sized bet that it will happen this year.

Reaction Score
Over (say) the past 4 years, we've heard from posters from ND, Baylor, South Carolina, for example, who really, really like their team, follow high school recruitment closely, are deeply knowledgeable, and in every way are terrific fans of WCBB. Their enjoyment hasn't ended (has it even been impaired?) because none of them has won a NC the past 4 years.

Similarly, I think a lot of UConn fans are excited to see how the coaches fashion a very talented, but not completely dominant team this year.

Reaction Score
Over (say) the past 4 years, we've heard from posters from ND, Baylor, South Carolina, for example, who really, really like their team, follow high school recruitment closely, are deeply knowledgeable, and in every way are terrific fans of WCBB. Their enjoyment hasn't ended (has it even been impaired?) because none of them has won a NC the past 4 years.

Similarly, I think a lot of UConn fans are excited to see how the coaches fashion a very talented, but not completely dominant team this year.

Key word ..............THIS year...........just a one year reprieve............then it's back to three or four more championships!!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We just lost the top three draft picks in the WNBA draft. It isn't reasonable to believe that we will chug along without a hiccup.

On the other hand....

Look for Lou and Pheesa to make the big Sophomore jump that we see so often. Gabby will see more minutes and will be more productive because good things happen around a kid a that is pure hustle. At least one of Bent, Crystal Dangerfield, or Irwin will be a major factor. Saniya brings senior leadership and experience. She will be important to us this year.

The biggest question I have is how ready is Butler to be our go to center. Will she have the stamina? Will she have the confidence. Is she ready to bang for 25 min/game?

All in all, I like our chances a lot, but with the big 3 gone, it will take time for people to understand and grow into their new roles.

Reaction Score
I use it as a reason to eat Blue Bell ice cream. :D And I don't believe Geno that teams are lining up to play UCONN. The guys will still be tough, just not unbeatable.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
For the last 4 years, I have been a witness to the excellence of the greatest basketball program in the history of women's basketball. It may be that this program will have losses, but that does not matter to me. The UConn ethic of hard work, intensity of play, and the pursuit of excellence will always be entertaining and satisfying to me. As a 1964 graduate of UConn, I sit and watch with great pleasure. When I tell someone, that I went to UConn, they always bring up the Women's Basketball program and their achievements. UConn Women's program is now legendary and I am proud to be a graduate of this University.

What comes in the future does not really matter. It will be only a learning experience and time to make adjustments. These folks will always have a winning program.

1962 Grad in Florida and summers in VA A TRULY EXCEPTIONAL Program !

Reaction Score
My favorite example of this sort of ultra-entitled, smarter-than-thou mindset are the critical comments directed at freshmen, playing in the exhibition game season. Stop and think about that for a second -18 year-old kids in October or early November of their first semester in college, getting scorched on a message board for making a mistake or not finishing something as the poster would like. Un-freakin'-believable. But, it's happened before, and I'd make a decent-sized bet that it will happen this year.

I wonder what the over/under will be for the number of I told you so's from that same mindset if UConn does happen to lose.

Reaction Score
If the 2 new transfers were eligible this year would Uconn go undefeated?I would think it would depend on how soon the players got used to playing as a unit.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, it was always Bart's practice to leap off the tallest building he could find when the Huskies lost one. I guess we could try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom