Improve Gameday UConn (IGU) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Improve Gameday UConn (IGU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the tailgate for students is a great idea. I would have loved to have that when I was in school. Granted I was in the marching band so got to go for free, but still would have been awesome to see.

I think bringing a little bit of Storrs to The Rent would help too. Why is the Dairy Bar no where insight? I mean seriously, great ice cream!

I think having a place to hangout by the gates where a Dj or a band plays could help attract people towards the gates. Have them stop playing 15 minutes or so before kick-off so at least least everyone is in line when kick-off is about to happen. Is that realistic? Probably not, but it would be a welcome change unlike a certain other DJ who couldn't shut the up during games.

Reaction Score
Would LOVE some fresh UCONN ice cream on game day! How can we make this happen?

I personally don't think it would be too hard to make it happen. They don't need a dedicated concession both, just a couple carts (one on each side of the stadium) like the Dip-n-Dots carts. We just need to show that people want Dairy Bar ice cream at the games. Maybe a petition or a letter with many signatures?

Reaction Score
Heard rumor the other day that Cabela's might be getting the axe. I'm sure it was fifth or sixth hand, but it's out there.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tailgating time can't be expanded pursuant to the State's deal with P&W. So could we leave that alone. Even if someone could explain to me why I need five friggin hours before a game in the parking lot to be a good and happy fan when I get to the game. Do some of you hate your homes that much?
For noon games, 4 hours is plenty. I doubt many of the nearby residents would want to get up that much earlier in time for a 7:00 tailgate in the first place. However, I think they should consider allowing RVs (particularly for visiting teams) to enter the parking lot at least the night before. FYI, the FedEx Field parking lot is opening up at 9:00 this week for the 'Skins' home opener which kicks off at 1:00.

Designate a play area for a father a son or friend to throw the football/Frisbee/whathaveyou. In the blue lot, the empty lot on the other side of the road from the stadium would do. By the time cars actually start filing into that lot, it's time to go into the stadium...and it costs nothing (actually it would cost unemployment because the old crotchety guy in the white wind breaker and golf cart wouldn't have anything worthwhile to do.)!!!

Reaction Score
Would LOVE some fresh UCONN ice cream on game day! How can we make this happen?

No kidding. There's no excuse for not having ice cream as a game treat. Certainly would prefer UConn Dairy Bar version but even kiosks with ice cream bars etc would be an improvement. Kids always are asking for it and on those warm days it was a coveted (but unavailable) option.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
First post here:

The distance between Storrs and the Rent is too great for their to be an "outstanding" atmosphere. Students are the loudest section of the crowd- This is a decision that the State/UCONN made over a decade ago, so they have noboody to blame but themselves if we don't have a top student section.

HOWEVER- what's the best way to fill the seats before Kick-off? 1. Wins 2. Exciting Play - It's that simple. I was in school during the 2011 run to the Fiesta Bowl- people actually cared that season. Since PP became the captain of the Titanic the program has sank to the bottom of the Atlantic, and the decrease in seats is expected. State Police had to beg students to go in by halftime last year. I trust Diaco to build the program back up. Just remember that that build will take 2-3 years.

Additionally, the location of the Rent leaves a TON to be desired entertainment-wise. They NEED to build up the area or provide transportation to Hartford. We have an awesome tailgate area (way better than SU, Pitt, BC) and have easy access to major highways, but there is absolutely ZERO entertainment around the stadium.

This board is pretty easy to jump on Alumni Stadium (BC) but they have all of the above that I just mentioned except for a larger tailgate area. I love the idea that the original poster brought up. Warde and Co need to hire a firm to do a tailgate study. My ideas:

1. The first priority has to be the tailgating hours (huge joke) needs to be at least 5-6 hours.

2. I'd also like to see the parking lots organized by age/prestige. Donors should have the best access to the stadium in their OWN section-blatantly obvious. Students and families should be completely separated as well. That way, you can organize marketing by placing appropriate companies in the right places. I have often found large student groups annoying the hell out of families- its a big unorganized mess. UCONN needs to stop trying to follow an NFL model and adapt to CFB. It's not that hard

3. More band, more traditions- This is something Diaco supports with the fight song, pep rally and such. Makes us more legitimate

4. Providing public transporation from the Stadium to Hartford. If you aren't going to develop the area, then try to build up Hartford. Imagine trams that took you from Riverfront Plaza, across route 5/15 and dropped you off at the stadium. Downtown Hartford would be nuts before a game and after. You could also give SW/NW Connecticut another parking option. Hartford could use this type of Transo in the first place.

5. Student BBQ before busses leave. How much would it cost to give out free food on Fairfield way before the first busses leave? Brings together the student section and also is a great marketing idea. Maybe even make this another form of pep rally with big coaches speaking to the student body.

Would like to hear your thoughts

Reaction Score
I emailed the UCONN Dairy Bar and received a quick response:

" ... the rent is out of our control it is run by the Sodexo company and they would have to make that change. We can sell ice cream to whoever wants to buy it however we have no presence at the football stadium as it is a Sodexo contract. ..."

I Guess the next step is to try contacting the Rent directly?

Reaction Score

" ... the rent is out of our control it is run by the Sodexo company and they would have to make that change. We can sell ice cream to whoever wants to buy it however we have no presence at the football stadium as it is a Sodexo contract. ..."

I guess so. I think that there should at least be a Dairy Bar food truck at a gate or two at the Rent. If it turns out to be successful, maybe Sodexo would be more open to setting up a permanant cart or both, or have the food truck over by the jumbotron.

Reaction Score
Here's my outside the box idea. At 11:45 sharp 4 seat numbers, each from a major stadium section, are pulled from a "virtual barrel". $500 is won and delivered in cash (not a gift card etc) to whoever is seated in that seat. Cameras hone in on the seat. If it's empty, no one wins. Word spreads. Would most tailgaters get in 15 min before kickoff for four of them to win $500? What do you think? I'd be willing to pay the money for the first two games. First game I'd probably only pay 1. Perhaps the next game it would be 2.
How much money would the prize have to be to get YOU in your seat ---and you must remain in it until after kickoff--by 11:45 tomorrow?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I guess so. I think that there should at least be a Dairy Bar food truck at a gate or two at the Rent. If it turns out to be successful, maybe Sodexo would be more open to setting up a permanant cart or both, or have the food truck over by the jumbotron.
Sodexo probably has the run of the grounds between the gates to the tip of the runway for any commercial food sales.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Here's my outside the box idea. At 11:45 sharp 4 seat numbers, each from a major stadium section, are pulled from a "virtual barrel". $500 is won and delivered in cash (not a gift card etc) to whoever is seated in that seat. Cameras hone in on the seat. If it's empty, no one wins. Word spreads. Would most tailgaters get in 15 min before kickoff for four of them to win $500? What do you think? I'd be willing to pay the money for the first two games. First game I'd probably only pay 1. Perhaps the next game it would be 2.
How much money would the prize have to be to get YOU in your seat ---and you must remain in it until after kickoff--by 11:45 tomorrow?

Not to be a Donnie downer, but where is that money coming from? I just posted the following in a different thread:

Don't be surprised if UConn ups their required donation for some season ticket holders in the near future. I just got a phone call solicitation about the Boise game. They were going through accounts who've had tickets in the past, but didn't buy Boise tix. This year, I get my ticket through a buddy so we can get the blue parking passes and all sit together at the games, so I haven't used my account for football.

Well long story short, the other reason they were calling was to hit me up for a donation because, "tuition is increasing and some student athletes who deserve it, can't get into school." Translation: full cost of attendance is coming and UConn currently can't afford it. That's right, John Q. Donor is expected to make up the yearly shortfall between FCOA and the media contracts. Welcome to the new normal for UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
Sodexo probably has the run of the grounds between the gates to the tip of the runway for any commercial food sales.

I'm hoping that Sodexo doesn't take a percentage off the top, but only would lease out a space.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that Sodexo doesn't take a percentage off the top, but only would lease out a space.
I interpret the response that Tiger8 posted as, "The rent for a food truck slot is unreasonable, so the Dairy Bar has no presence. On the other hand, Sodexo is certainly welcome to purchase Dairy Bar ice cream for resale, but has chosen not to do so."

Reaction Score
I interpret the response that Tiger8 posted as, "The rent for a food truck slot is unreasonable, so the Dairy Bar has no presence. On the other hand, Sodexo is certainly welcome to purchase Dairy Bar ice cream for resale, but has chosen not to do so."

I was sort of thinking along those lines that Dairy Bar was/is willing to sell the ice cream to the stadium, just Sodexo has not shown the interest. I also think it's because there hasn't truly been a cry for Dairy Bar or ice cream in general at the stadium. That's why I was thinking food truck, so that it can be shown that Dairy Bar ice cream deserves a place at The Rent.

Reaction Score

Excellent idea & strategy. Like the way you think!!

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was sort of thinking along those lines that Dairy Bar was/is willing to sell the ice cream to the stadium, just Sodexo has not shown the interest. I also think it's because there hasn't truly been a cry for Dairy Bar or ice cream in general at the stadium. That's why I was thinking food truck, so that it can be shown that Dairy Bar ice cream deserves a place at The Rent.
Unless it is 90 degrees like it was last weekend, I can understand why there is not a significant demand, but those types of Indian Summer days are few and far between. They'd make a killing though if they served the ice cream in little football helmet cups like the Rock Cats (and every other baseball park) do.

Reaction Score
Where does the money come from?

Back to the OP.

Seminole Boosters Club - FSU ( https://one.fsu.edu/sslpage.aspx?pid=520 ) starts with a Booster Club Membership. That costs $60 annually' and you can choose more & more options from there. (that seems reasonable) Then NEWLY Graduated get a 50% discount. Student Membership (sign up from Facebook or other Social Media) costs $25 annually.

Then ... COACH'S CLUB:
Your funds help support that sport directly with items the team needs but aren't covered in their annual budget such as competative travel opportunites (preseason tournaments, etc.), new training equipment, occasional team meals, fan friendly facility enhancements, and more.

So ... if you want to make a lot of things happen? You can get more travel to away games; more travel to bowls; more interaction with players; more "fan friendly".

We NEED a Boosters Club. Let's set up the 501 c 3 and let's get into it. That's the start.

(What I left out) Seminole Boosters Club gives out $9m a year in scholarships. Seminole Boosters Club (LLC) is the owners of a Retail/Mixed Use property that surrounds the stadium (and provides some lodging too). And THEY paid my Montreal real estate friends a Fee to improve their gameday that was over $100k

Start with one step, then another.

Reaction Score
Unless it is 90 degrees like it was last weekend, I can understand why there is not a significant demand, but those types of Indian Summer days are few and far between. They'd make a killing though if they served the ice cream in little football helmet cups like the Rock Cats (and every other baseball park) do.

Which helmet would be used though? The new ones might hurt sales. Just kidding. I would totally buy a bunch so I can line my dash and back window every week for tailgates.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Where does the money come from?

Back to the OP.

Seminole Boosters Club - FSU ( ) starts with a Booster Club Membership. That costs $60 annually' and you can choose more & more options from there. (that seems reasonable) Then NEWLY Graduated get a 50% discount. Student Membership (sign up from Facebook or other Social Media) costs $25 annually.

Then ... COACH'S CLUB:
Your funds help support that sport directly with items the team needs but aren't covered in their annual budget such as competative travel opportunites (preseason tournaments, etc.), new training equipment, occasional team meals, fan friendly facility enhancements, and more.

So ... if you want to make a lot of things happen? You can get more travel to away games; more travel to bowls; more interaction with players; more "fan friendly".

We NEED a Boosters Club. Let's set up the 501 c 3 and let's get into it. That's the start.

(What I left out) Seminole Boosters Club gives out $9m a year in scholarships. Seminole Boosters Club (LLC) is the owners of a Retail/Mixed Use property that surrounds the stadium (and provides some lodging too). And THEY paid my Montreal real estate friends a Fee to improve their gameday that was over $100k

Start with one step, then another.
Thanks, Pudge. but your OP clearly states that a method of addressing the cost is required. If I'm getting hit up for donations to cover FCOA, then a $500 x 4 per 6-7 games plus admin costs is significant.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Pudge. but your OP clearly states that a method of addressing the cost is required. If I'm getting hit up for donations to cover FCOA, then a $500 x 4 per 6-7 games plus admin costs is significant.

Sorry.

This is another $$$ request above & beyond the Alumni Giving/whatever else you are paying.

But, heck, it ain't that much. And, as we all know, whatever you are doing on the Donation front, it is NOT going towards what this entire thread is about. This is ABOUT how do we get OUR Fans to enjoy these 6/7 games a year and address a handful of Program deficiencies (like not sitting in our seats at Kickoff; like not traveling to close games or further games; like lack of coordination for Bowl Games; like not having UConn Dairy Bar ice cream).

I am convinced that the money you throw in for those seats go to someone who does not care about these Fan issues. And ... you absolutely do not have to pay a dime if you don't think it is in your interest. We just need to improve the experience of OUR Football.

Reaction Score
I have mentioned this before but what happened to the pads in front of student section? The students would come in early to be in front row and bang on the pads. This created a fun and intimidating atmosphere in past seasons.

Reaction Score

FYI Sodexo no longer runs the concessions at the Rent or XL center. They were dropped when Global Spectrum took over management of the stadium. The concessions are now run by Ovations Food Services.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I was just about to hit "send" on a message on Sodexo's website to request they at least consider purchasing ice cream from the Dairy bar to sell in the concessions, but in the interest of accuracy, I wanted to confirm.

According to Rentschler's website, Sodexo is not the food vendor.

Concessions
Full service concession stands are located around the stadium concourse. Concession services are managed by Ovations.

info@ovationsfs.com

Husky25

Reaction Score
FYI Sodexo no longer runs the concessions at the Rent or XL center. They were dropped when Global Spectrum took over management of the stadium. The concessions are now run by Ovations Food Services.
beat me by less than 120 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99