Important deep dive on NIL and UConn's international players | The Boneyard

Important deep dive on NIL and UConn's international players

Reaction Score
Geno has already addressed this several times in pressers. It’s also well understood throughout academia. It has next to nothing to do with the NCAA or UConn or any school for that matter. It’s entirely about visa restrictions on international students. As long as we still think college players should be students — we do think this, right? — they will be restricted from earning income except in work-study jobs on campus. Work-study means the money is subsidized by the federal government and it comes with lots of strings attached.

Want to see the situation change? Then talk to your congressman, not Geno. I hate the clickbait suggestion that somehow UConn is behind this problem or should simply be able to “fix it.”

And by the way, international students can sign any sort of NIL deals they want in their home country. There are no restrictions on this.

Reaction Score
Geno has already addressed this several times in pressers. It’s also well understood throughout academia. It has next to nothing to do with the NCAA or UConn or any school for that matter. It’s entirely about visa restrictions on international students. As long as we still think college players should be students — we do think this, right? — they will be restricted from earning income except in work-study jobs on campus. Work-study means the money is subsidized by the federal government and it comes with lots of strings attached.

Want to see the situation change? Then talk to your congressman, not Geno. I hate the clickbait suggestion that somehow UConn is behind this problem or should simply be able to “fix it.”

And by the way, international students can sign any sort of NIL deals they want in their home country. There are no restrictions on this.

I see your point, but I also see that this could be framed as a "fix". When NIL came out, the impression was that there was nothing that could be done. UConn and other schools have found a workaround to help them benefit. It's better than nothing.

And regarding NIL deals in their home countries, it's not that simple. It's been my understanding that they need to be in their home country when promoting on behalf of their partners/sponsors. Considering international players are in the US for majority of the year, they opportunity to earn is still limited.

Reaction Score
And regarding NIL deals in their home countries, it's not that simple. It's been my understanding that they need to be in their home country when promoting on behalf of their partners/sponsors. Considering international players are in the US for majority of the year, they opportunity to earn is still limited.
Yes, it isn’t at all simple. I never said it was. They would need to be outside the US when they do the work involved in whatever contracts they sign. But nothing prevents it. For example, Aaliyah could sign an endorsement deal with a Canadian company and shoot promotional videos when she’s home for summer winter or spring breaks. What she can’t do is earn an income from a contract for work done in the US. This is obviously also true for Nika or Dorka or Jana or Inês.

But again, UConn doesn’t make any of these rules, and they can’t simply “fix” it or grant exceptions. They have no legal authority in this matter.

Reaction Score
Yes, it isn’t at all simple. I never said it was. They would need to be outside the US when they do the work involved in whatever contracts they sign. But nothing prevents it. For example, Aaliyah could sign an endorsement deal with a Canadian company and shoot promotional videos when she’s home for summer winter or spring breaks. What she can’t do is earn an income from a contract for work done in the US. This is obviously also true for Nika or Dorka or Jana or Inês.

But again, UConn doesn’t make any of these rules, and they can’t simply “fix” it or grant exceptions. They have no legal authority in this matter.
I think you're missing my point when I say "fix". At least they're trying to find ways for their international athletes to profit. They could have simply left it alone for government to get involved.

And yes, Aaliyah could do what you suggest but it's still limited in comparison. It's more than understood it's an immigration issue. My point is that the logistics to manage it make it trickier. Especially with a team like UConn where the team is usually competing until early April, the windows of opportunities are smaller.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Good post Doggie. Thanks. My understanding of NIL in relation to foreign-born players was a little fuzzy. Not anymore. :cool:

Reaction Score
I think you're missing my point when I say "fix". At least they're trying to find ways for their international athletes to profit. They could have simply left it alone for government to get involved.

And yes, Aaliyah could do what you suggest but it's still limited in comparison. It's more than understood it's an immigration issue. My point is that the logistics to manage it make it trickier. Especially with a team like UConn where the team is usually competing until early April, the windows of opportunities are smaller.
You do have a good point. The passive income work-around is a good idea and better than nothing. Seeking a work-visa would solve the problem more decisively, but those are really hard — read nearly impossible for a student — to get.

Reaction Score
You do have a good point. The passive income work-around is a good idea and better than nothing. Seeking a work-visa would solve the problem more decisively, but those are really hard — read nearly impossible for a student — to get.

It's better than nothing. And for Aaliyah, the fact Canadians can order online, it helps to leverage the attention she's getting here. South Carolina has had something similar in place for Amihere and I personally think Aaliyah is a lot more popular. I hope it translates into a decent amount of compensation for her over the next couple years.

My challenge is to limit my spending. Between the sweatshirts and jersey options, my shopping cart could get really full! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom