Importance of Akok & Hawkins | The Boneyard

Importance of Akok & Hawkins

Reaction Score
This team will not be elite until these two play to their potential on both sides of the ball.

To date, they have been underwhelming and haven't played up to their preseason expectations.

Hoping they begin to take form by late February leading into the tournament.

Reaction Score
Hawk needs the best sports psychologist money can buy. He gets completely unraveled and takes himself out of his game if the slightest small thing goes wrong.

You can tell the coaches are trying to get him to stop this but it seems like it’s going to take a while

Reaction Score
Hawk needs the best sports psychologist money can buy. He gets completely unraveled and takes himself out of his game if the slightest small thing goes wrong.

You can tell the coaches are trying to get him to stop this but it seems like it’s going to take a while
Is this not the sort of thing that's evident in recruiting? Or we just have no idea because they don't encounter adversity?

Reaction Score
Is this not the sort of thing that's evident in recruiting? Or we just have no idea because they don't encounter adversity?

I’m just guessing, but 25-75 level recruits are so used to consistently dominating at the high school level and AAU level…and have a very small sample size for adversity situations…

Then they get to college and competition & pressure is ratcheted up across the board for the whole game, almost every game.

Some adapt quicker than others. Seems Hawk may take a little more time. We have a lot of games left in the regular season for him to figure it out in time for the postseason… I think he will

Reaction Score
I thought Akok played pretty well, he scored some baskets and his defense looked promising. He is still integrating himself back from his injury, but for sure, having him play well is important and adds more fuel to team's firepower.
Hawkins will improve and just needs more minutes. Glad Hurley took him out when he did, no chance to re-insert him really after that. Hope he'll gain some confidence in other games ahead.

Reaction Score
This is certainly one of the glaring issues I took away from this game, Hawk is not ready for big game minutes under the big lights classic case of the pressure expectations places on a young playHa
Hawkins is simply a freshman letting the pressure of expectations dictate his mentality on the court. He's playing too fast and forces the issue too often. It sure looks like a very talented player trying to make the most of his opportunities, which are minimal because we haven't seen a UConn team with this many weapons in several years. As he grows in his career and his opportunities increase, the pressure he's feeling should decrease.

The coaching staff needs to continue preaching "let the game come to you!"

Reaction Score
Your absolutely right on Hawkins.
Akok Is a little different case.
The fact a freshman missed the cup cake games is huge.
Those are the games where the kids build confidence and adjust to the increased speed of the game.
Is it my imagination but that seems an annual occurrence with our top recruit.

Reaction Score
I noticed Hawkins played 9 minutes with 3 turnovers. The dream was he was supposed to be starting by this point in the season but it just hasn't panned out.

Reaction Score
Akok is what he is at this point. His offense is incredibly one dimensional, and his defense isn’t good enough in any department besides weak side blocks. He’s just not strong enough.

Reaction Score
Needs to dribble a basketball nonstop for a year.
I'd agree here, his handle is so jittery at times. An elite guard out of high school you'd think he'd have a crisper, tighter handle at this point. Needs time to adjust to the speed of college ball I guess.

Reaction Score
I'd agree here, his handle is so jittery at times. An elite guard out of high school you'd think he'd have a crisper, tighter handle at this point. Needs time to adjust to the speed of college ball I guess.
He bobbles the ball with no pressure then visibly sulks after a bad play. He’s got a lot of work to do. I’m more concerned about his on court demeanor than his handle.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

And teammates. I saw Sanogo giving him a consoling hug during tiger game.

Reaction Score
To be honest I would have had Akok in at the end and let him launch anywhere 10 ft behind the 3pt line. It's better than whatever the heck we were doing. Putting the ball in Gaffney's hands and having him throw into a sideline trap was just madness.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Actually I think Akok is coming along just fine. With his long layover I thought he would never return. However, I think he has a nice shot. He will come around just fine. Hawkins however, well I don't know.

Reaction Score
Actually I think Akok is coming along just fine. With his long layover I thought he would never return. However, I think he has a nice shot. He will come around just fine. Hawkins however, well I don't know.
0 rebounds, 6 points in 19 minutes. Akok.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’m started to get worried about next year if Gaffney, Hawkins, and Diggins don’t make substantial improvements.

Reaction Score
Hawkins is way to weak with the ball to be getting big mins in the BE. He needs a serious weight room plan.
I'm not sure that strength and ball handling are that closely correlated. Hawkins definitely needs a better handle, but plenty of thin guys can handle the ball well.

I don't expect to ever see Hawkins as much of a distributor or lead guard. I do expect him to get much more comfortable and become a double digit scorer though.

Reaction Score
I’m started to get worried about next year if Gaffney, Hawkins, and Diggins don’t make substantial improvements.
Interesting thought. With Floyd, Karaban and Clingan coming in, the talent level will increase a bit overall. Jackson should be a star next season. The pieces will be here if Sanogo stays.

Our best teams in the past essentially had 2 point guards. That to me is our biggest hole now, and potentially next season. Cole is a very good scorer, and decent distributor, but with the exception of Jackson nobody else on the roster has displayed point guard skills. I really thought Diggins brought those skills. Maybe he does.

One thing I do know is that Corey Floyd, Jr. is a tough kid. There's no way Richmond goes on that 17 point run with Floyd in the game.

So yeah, there are plenty of concerns, but also plenty of reasons for optimism.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that strength and ball handling are that closely correlated. Hawkins definitely needs a better handle, but plenty of thin guys can handle the ball well.

I don't expect to ever see Hawkins as much of a distributor or lead guard. I do expect him to get much more comfortable and become a double digit scorer though.
He gets the ball ripped away from him consistently, that is strength. His ball handling also needs a lot of work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom