Imma whip da old horse! | The Boneyard

Imma whip da old horse!

Reaction Score
Can't help but wonder how much better possible #1 pick Aja Wilson would have been under Genos tutorledge. She is already a good player. My Uconn mind said she would've been legendary at Uconn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Can't help but wonder how much better possible #1 pick Aja Wilson would have been under Genos tutorledge. She is already a good player. My Uconn mind said she would've been legendary at Uconn.
Tutorledge is officially my new favorite word, even if a dead horse had to take a beating for me to get it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To clarify for us that are benighted, while Geno's tutelage may have evolved A'ja's skills more, she got to play close to home for her family to see all her games, she did win a NC and has made a few AA teams as well as being on the short list for POY and the current wave of national players. I would say she's done pretty well. Now if she had chosen Tenn, she'd be Mercedes Russell...:D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some things are just not meant to be. i.e. Charlie Collier. Lauryn Cox, Asia Durr, Brianna Turner, Elena Delle Donne, etc. She wanted to remain close to home.

Revel and rejoice over the players that came. Cast not a tear for those that didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Tutorledge is officially my new favorite word, even if a dead horse had to take a beating for me to get it.
Being that I have never actually used the word, I can be honest and say I really thought I was spelling it correctly. Too funny.

Reaction Score
Some things are just not meant to be. i.e. Charlie Collier. Lauryn Cox, Asia Durr, Brianna Turner, Elena Delle Donne, etc. She wanted to remain close to home.

Revel and rejoice over the players that came. Cast not a tear for those that didn't.
You are totally wrong about EDD. She left because she and the basketball world knew it would not be fair to every other D1 program had she stayed. She is an exceptional talent. Remind me what the program did that year without her? . Jk

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
To clarify for us that are benighted, while Geno's tutelage may have evolved A'ja's skills more, she got to play close to home for her family to see all her games, she did win a NC and has made a few AA teams as well as being on the short list for POY and the current wave of national players. I would say she's done pretty well. Now if she had chosen Tenn, she'd be Mercedes Russell...:D
Your erudition belies your claim to membership in the benighted brotherhood. You surely had the benefit of excellent tutorledge! :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
seems like a lotta "highly ranked" bigs don't want to go thru it (Geno's style) at UConn... since Tina (Stokes stuck it out)
I think UConn’s misses on Wilson, Cox & C Collier in particular had much more to do with geography than Geno’s style. ONO is certainly ready to embrace the challenge, and I suspect that Boston and perhaps Amihere will sign up next year.

Reaction Score
I think UConn’s misses on Wilson, Cox & C Collier in particular had much more to do with geography than Geno’s style. ONO is certainly ready to embrace the challenge, and I suspect that Boston and perhaps Amihere will sign up next year.
Good call. Geography can mean closeness to family and friends or it can mean the actual physical location. Texas and other states get 300+ days sunshine/year and little or no snow. Conn-a LITTLE bit less sun and we won't mention the other weather. Everyone has different things they value.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
One of my favorite Gabby Williams moves is when she starts from the right side of the foul line, dribbles left, and finishes strong on the left side with her left hand.

For Wilson, it would be the mirror image. But, I don`t think she has that move. Actually, from the limited times I have seen her, she rarely uses her right hand at all.

She is a great player and it would be a shock if she is not the first pick in the WNBA draft. But, I am sure she would have a stronger right hand game if she went to UConn.

Remember Geno talking about Lou, chiding her a bit for practicing three pointers all the time, saying you need to work at what you are not good at. That approach seems to be working out pretty well for Lou.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of my favorite Gabby Williams moves is when she starts from the right side of the foul line, dribbles left, and finishes strong on the left side with her left hand.

For Wilson, it would be the mirror image. But, I don`t think she has that move. Actually, from the limited times I have seen her, she rarely uses her right hand at all.

She is a great player and it would be a shock if she is not the first pick in the WNBA draft. But, I am sure she would have a stronger right hand game if she went to UConn.

Remember Geno talking about Lou, chiding her a bit for practicing three pointers all the time, saying you need to work at what you are not good at. That approach seems to be working out pretty well for Lou.
As you point out, Wilson does not have a right hand, which is why defenders try to force her to her right.

Another difference between Gabby and Wilson. On a number of occasions I’ve seen Gabby make that crossover movie to her left and when the defense collapses on her, Gabby fires a perfect pass to a wide open teammate for a catch and shoot 3.

When Wilson puts the ball on the floor one of two things is going to occur: a shot or a charging call. Wilson never passes when she gets the ball in the post.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I will admit though, the recent loss of Cox hurt. I'm still convinced that if not for how serious her diabetes issue became she was a lock for Geno. We'll see if the lose of Collier will hurt as well.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As you point out, Wilson does not have a right hand, which is why defenders try to force her to her right.

Another difference between Gabby and Wilson. On a number of occasions I’ve seen Gabby make that crossover movie to her left and when the defense collapses on her, Gabby fires a perfect pass to a wide open teammate for a catch and shoot 3.

When Wilson puts the ball on the floor one of two things is going to occur: a shot or a charging call. Wilson never passes when she gets the ball in the post.
All true. But also Gabby's tell is when she penetrates and is cut off she often passes to her left. Strengths and weaknesses. When A'ja moves on trust me, she'll develop her right move. Adapt or die.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Don't forget turnover. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
seems like a lotta "highly ranked" bigs don't want to go thru it (Geno's style) at UConn... since Tina (Stokes stuck it out)

Would you?

62fc147733579c4b7f75b5f69361ba88.jpg

The Geno tutor ledge.

Jim

Reaction Score
Wilson never passes when she gets the ball in the post.
How soon people here forget. Geno once called Kara Wolters a "black hole" because when the ball went to her in the low post it never came out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I will admit though, the recent loss of Cox hurt. I'm still convinced that if not for how serious her diabetes issue became she was a lock for Geno. We'll see if the lose of Collier will hurt as well.
SPOILER ALERT!

ONO will be better than C Collier.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You are totally wrong about EDD. She left because she and the basketball world knew it would not be fair to every other D1 program had she stayed. She is an exceptional talent. Remind me what the program did that year without her? . Jk

Doggie, you're missing my point. I used DD as an example of a player that did not play for UConn. The "WHY"is not important. Regardless of the reason(s), she left or never came. The bottom line is she didn't play at UConn. My only point here is It wasn't meant to be. You're arguing why she left. I'm saying THAT she left , and she never played!!!

My understanding is that she was only on campus for about 48 hours after she reported for the fall semester, had second thoughts for whatever reason(s), and went back home. In my mind, that like not being there at all. If that's incorrect, perhaps another poster will correct me.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How soon people here forget. Geno once called Kara Wolters a "black hole" because when the ball went to her in the low post it never came out.
Yes he did, but Geno was constantly on her about passing the ball, and quite frankly, Kara was a better passer out of the post than Wilson. Has anyone ever heard Dawn criticize Wilson for not passing out of the post?

Reaction Score
Yes he did, but Geno was constantly on her about passing the ball, and quite frankly, Kara was a better passer out of the post than Wilson. Has anyone ever heard Dawn criticize Wilson for not passing out of the post?
Dawn will not criticize her. Reason 3 why Wilson picked South Carolina.

Carnac

Reaction Score
All true. But also Gabby's tell is when she penetrates and is cut off she often passes to her left. Strengths and weaknesses. When A'ja moves on trust me, she'll develop her right move. Adapt or die.

How many times have we seen Gabby get called for charging when driving the lane? She's got to develop a plan "B" if the lane suddenly closes, rather than just continue to plow ahead anyway. :confused:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Better? Yes. Way better? No. How much better would Griner or Fowles or Vaughn or (insert name here) post player been had they come to UCONN? Let's be honest - in 4 years Geno simply could not get Stokes to shoot the ball. She was a terrific defender but averaged 4 PPG over her career. Now 3 years in the W, she's up around 6 PPG and actually looks for her shot. Charde Houston never got it at UCONN. Yet in the W she was an all star at least once. Sadie Edwards... well we all know that story - Geno could not coach her to get on board, yet she goes to USC and is a starter and 2nd leading scorer on the team.

For whatever reason, there are numerous cases of kids deciding to transfer out, and who play gangbusters for their new teams (granted most were not going to get the PT at UCONN, but still, OTHER programs managed to develop them). And there are tons of players who went on to be All Stars in the W, but somehow who "missed out" on Geno's coaching.

My point is you can argue specific reasons for individual players leaving, but 2 things stand out:
  1. Other coaches actually ARE capable of coaching these kids to improve and reach for their max potential (Leslie, Thompson, Griffith, Parker, Fowles, Griner, Dupree, Milton-Jones, Ogwumike, etc are all post types who were not coached by Geno yet somehow managed to become Olympains)
  2. Not all kids blossom under the sledgehammer approach, or whatever you want to call Geno's way of breaking down kids so he can build them back up...
So how much would any player be better had they come to UCONN? While I agree we have the best coaching staff in the game, IMHO not all kids would have blossomed better in UCONN's soil...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Is it just me, or does it seem that left-handed players more often lack facility with the right hand than vice-versa? How many times to we hear of the defense trying to make the lefty go right as opposed to trying to make the righty go left? And there are many more right-handed players. If it's so, I find it odd since lefties are often forced to use their right hands -- for example scissors, can openers, gear shifts. . .

Of course, it could just be that it catches my attention more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom