Imagine KO without Shabazz | The Boneyard

Imagine KO without Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very good point. Bazz was the best player/leader in the nation. Since Bazz graduated, its been pretty dreadful.

Reaction Score
He'd be fired by now, right?

If Brimah misses the FT and we lose to St. Joe's, KO is probably gone after this year. As it is, they'll probably hold onto him for another 3 years.

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: next year's team needs to be a vintage UConn juggernaut for KO to convince the fanbase that he is the answer. If not, he should be gone after next year.

Reaction Score
Everyone keeps talking about how great of a recruiter KO is (which he is) but if he can't outcoach a mid major what does it matter? I'd rather have a coach who brings in 75-150 guys and gets the job done.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Lots of people use the 2014 title as a reason to ignore what's not being done on the court several years later. But lets say instead of winning 6 games in the tournament that year we only won 4, or 5. Its only a couple games but I know for a fact most of those with title nostalgia would feel VERY differently right now, when in reality that 2014 season would have still been a huge, huge success. It goes to show how the title excuse isn't a valid one.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Where is KO without...

Brimah puts it up...and in!!! And a foul!!!!

Reaction Score
Can we like stop making all these threads? If you want to share your opinion can we just do it in the other dozens of threads made up calling for ollies head?

Reaction Score
meh, daniels and giffey were very important for that run. he developed those guys.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
meh, daniels and giffey were very important for that run. he developed those guys.
Yup, developed Daniels from a top 10 recruit to...where is he now?

Reaction Score
The Brimah score happened. I wish people would stop mentioning it. It was a great run and big plays always happen in the tourney. Ollie coached an amazing tournament making perfect adjustments and exploiting matchups one time after another against the best coaches in the game.

The question is, what happened to KO and how do we get him back?

Reaction Score
The Brimah score happened. I wish people would stop mentioning it. It was a great run and big plays always happen in the tourney. Ollie coached an amazing tournament making perfect adjustments and exploiting matchups one time after another against the best coaches in the game.

he hasn't been the same since the divorce. I know it's taboo but it's the truth

Reaction Score
Yup, developed Daniels from a top 10 recruit to...where is he now?
daniels got better under ollie, giffey unquestionably did. napier got better. he was getting guys better, seems to have dried up recently.

Reaction Score

Divorce happened

Reaction Score
Divorce happened

there's no other way to explain it other than he's just a straight up bad coach, which I don't necessarily believe but the results since have shown it

Reaction Score
Imagine Calhoun without Rip, Emeka or Kemba. No Ships?

Always a stupid argument.

KO was handed a torch that is UConn basketball. Not a team JC took over from scratch and built an empire.

We talk about KO like he is the Josh Pastner of 2016 Georgia Tech.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Imagine Calhoun without Rip, Emeka or Kemba. No Ships?

Take aways Jordan. How many Championships do the Bulls win? Always a stupid argument.
I don't know where to begin dissecting this comment. Calhoun would still have been a great coach. Ollie would have been fired by now. See the difference?

Reaction Score
We went 5-23 from 3, lots of open shots. Do we expect KO to make those shots? Our bigs are the worst I've ever seen, yes AB can block, but they can't catch the ball inside or score layups, they have bad hands, they can't rebound either. So now we are stuck passing around the perimeter where the guards are faced up. Add the fact that our guards have no shooting touch, here we are.

Reaction Score
We went 5-23 from 3, lots of open shots. Do we expect KO to make those shots? Our bigs are the worst I've ever seen, yes AB can block, but they can't catch the ball inside or score layups, they have bad hands, they can't rebound either. So now we are stuck passing around the perimeter where the guards are faced up. Add the fact that our guards have no shooting touch, here we are.

Thank god this has been addressed since KO took over in 2012

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't know where to begin dissecting this comment. Calhoun would still have been a great coach. Ollie would have been fired by now. See the difference?

It's actually a pretty simple comment that requires zero dissection. Great players win championships. Without them, it doesn't happen. JC probably wouldn't have won a single championship without those guys. So yeah, it matters. He might be the guy who couldn't win it (like he was prior to 99). A decent coach who couldn't get it done.

And Ollie was never going to be JC. A coach like that doesn't exist right now (outside of K).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
KO was handed a torch that is UConn basketball. Not a team JC took over from scratch and built an empire.

We talk about KO like he is the Josh Pastner of 2016 Georgia Tech.

The point was, great players win Championships for great coaches. Without great players, you get no championships.

Ollie was NOT handed an empire. It seems like everyone forgets what a dumpster fire the program was when he came on board. If it wasn't for 2011, the program might have been DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom