i'm still optimistic about our coaching staff | The Boneyard

i'm still optimistic about our coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i liked our playcalling for the most part yesterday. i thought we called plays that were within McEntee's grasp and i thought our play calling kept the WVU defense off balance. unfortunately we weren't able to convert the plays into TDs and had to settle for FG attempts but i think that's largely due to our lack of playmakers on offense. our recruiting has been good so far though, and i still think P can usget us over the hump. after that fumble and a few bad plays put us off of our gameplan it got ugly, but i'm optimistic about us going forward. before that fumble we were in position to take the lead. for most of the game we were competitive against our toughest opponent.

until the point where the wheels fell off our team our defense played well and so far this season we've seen our defense cause a lot of false starts and cause wasted time outs and delay of games. as soon as we iron out the kinks, and get some better players in there i think we'll get even better.

is there anyone else out there that hasn't evacuated the Pasqualoni bandwagon?

Reaction Score
+1.

Defensively these players weren't recruited for these schemes. Two of the recent defensive starters #'s 21 and 25, were having awful individual breakdowns on defense that made the whole defense look bad. With few exceptions, teams struggle after coaching changes. We looked adequate on offense in the first half yesterday with a walk on QB, and redshirt freshman RB, that I don't think is really physically ready to play at this level.

I've resigned myself to the fact that there is little chance for a bowl game this year, and it pains me that a Sr. class of Reyes, Martin, the Moore's, Mike Ryan, Moe Petrus, etc. may not get to play in one. Those guys have been stalwarts in this program.

Lets find a way to beat USF and get the ball rolling like last year.

Reaction Score
it's simple: you don't fire your head coach after one year. p could have gone 0-12 and he would have been back. anyone who thinks there's any shot he won't be back or says he shouldn't be back is wrong. i think i've seen people say "solving your problems with aggression" doesn't work...it's been one half of one season. the answer is that it's an inconclusive result. you are not crazy. p will not get fired. uconn will be better next year.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
im still 100% on board with the staff.

randy and jeff put us a horrible spot post bcs game, not to mention the conf is a fuucking mess. this staff has more on its plate that any other bcs team right now. think about it.
-we lost alot of very good college players at some important postions
-randy didn't recruit the best(his recruitng was what it was), the depth isn't here. staff was given 20 bcs players and 60 fillers at this point.
-some of the "better" randy players transfered, i expect many more transfers this winter/spring
-were in a weed out process on the field, reconize it
-they need 2 recruit classes and 2 years for the system to sync completely
-conf musical chairs, were one of only a few bcs teams right now that may not have a safe landing spot bcs bid wise. thats scary stuff
-staff is trying to save the fanbase interest by winning a couple games this year with Mac instead of winning 1 or no games with nebrich. its a tough/horrible spot to be in. i want to see nebrich personally (for the expierence/learning) but thats becuase no matter how bad it is, my family is getting tickets and supporting the team this year and beyond. the staff knows that a good chuck of this building fanbase won't put up with a bc(this year) year and still suport the program $ wise. so they try to win a couple games/stay in most games with Mac. im ok with the fact that they care that much about trying to save face, but wish we just 100% built for the future, were like 80% doing that now. but so be it.
-among other smaller issues

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The reasonable honeymoon time for any coach should be four or five years. Two years to establish recruiting relationships, two years after that to give players a chance to learn the coaches system and the fifth year to see if the process pays off.

There are two problems with this. First, the instant gratification people can't/won't be patient. And second, if the coach turns out to be unsuccessful, five years went down the tubes. Given the vulnerability of the football program, this is a difficult situation.

I still can't see how PP can be evaluated after 1/2 season with players he didn't recruit. Essentially every player is a first year player with only the experience of knowing how tough the college level is vs. the high school level. But they have to unlearn all they were taught before and start again. And that sometimes is more difficult than learning a system from scratch. I'm actually surprised that they are competitive in most games even if the final result says otherwise.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

randy and jeff put us a horrible spot post bcs game, not to mention the conf is a fuucking mess. this staff has more on its plate that any other bcs team right now. think about it.
-randy didn't recruit the best(his recruitng was what it was), the depth isn't here. staff was given 20 bcs players and 60 fillers at this point.
-some of the "better" randy players transfered, i expect many more transfers this winter/spring
-conf musical chairs, were one of only a few bcs teams right now that may not have a safe landing spot bcs bid wise. thats scary stuff
-staff is trying to save the fanbase interest by winning a couple games this year with Mac instead of winning 1 or no games with nebrich. its a tough/horrible spot to be in. i want to see nebrich personally (for the expierence/learning) but thats becuase no matter how bad it is, my family is getting tickets and supporting the team this year and beyond. the staff knows that a good chuck of this building fanbase won't put up with a bc(this year) year and still suport the program $ wise. so they try to win a couple games/stay in most games with Mac. im ok with the fact that they care that much about trying to save face, but wish we just 100% built for the future, were like 80% doing that now. but so be it.
I would have to say I agree with this because as you were posting it I was writing something very similar. LoL.

Reaction Score
I would have to say I agree with this because as you were posting it I was writing something very similar. LoL.

My guess is that your post had capitalization and paragraph breaks. Just a guess though. (grin)

Reaction Score

I think that's what the firstmate said to the Captain of the Titanic, as well. This season should be an interesting lesson in mass pyschology. I always wondered how large groups of people gladly follow another off a cliff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know if I can stand behind this coaching staff anymore. Does anyone remember the last time a big play went against UConn in a WVU game and the team turned around and collapsed? Oh wait, that is every game against WVU. Short of an epic coaching meltdown that results in 7 fumbles, UConn loses to WVU every time they play, and most of the games weren't close.

Reaction Score
I have my doubts about Deleone, I'd like to see Moorehead call the plays, the playbook is just too complex.

Reaction Score

WELL DONE 16!

Reaction Score
I was very down on the staff after the ISU game, but we showed some signs of offensive life against WMU and played a great half against WVU. I see enough improvement where optimism is creeping in again.

Reaction Score
The offense is showing some growth. It's not knocking anyone's socks off, but JMac has improved from week to week.

Reaction Score
I actually thought our players were in a lot of positions to make plays today, and just didn't execute. I hate to be the, "we need to execute better" guy, but it's true. We were constantly in situations where if one of our DB's could've made a play on the ball, we could've saved a TD, or if one of our WR's could make a catch, we could've made big years, or if our RB wasn't 5'8" and fall over after someone touches him... etc.

There were very few playcalls I didn't agree with/understand. I actually thought we kept them off balance for a significant portion of the game, especially considering the rather enormous talent gap. My biggest concerns going forward are a) DB's just don't match up coverage-wise, and we need Wreh-Wilson back now, b) our D-line isn't getting enough pressure on opposing QB's, exposing our iffy secondary, and c) our WR's aren't good enough to make up for a learning QB.

It will be a long season, but I don't think the coaches necessarily ruined this game for us, as others seem to believe.

Reaction Score
I'm certainly not in the fire P camp after 6 games, but I'm not sure if I can describe myself as being "optimistic" about the staff. I'm willing to give them time, but so far I've seen very little to give me any reason to be optimistic. I was optimistic in August. Now, not as much.

But that in no way implies that I think P should be on the hot seat. But I'm not willing to give him 4 or 5 years like some others have been saying.

F

fortebleedsblue

The play calling looked good enough to give me hope for the future. I have seen improvement and regression. It depends on what we are talking about. A pulse in the passing game is reassuring, number of penalties and lack of special teams is not. Some on here say give a coach 5 years to see how things pan out. Not sure if I agree with this... Rich Rod had 3 seasons and the writting was on the wall. People thought he should have been booted earlier. Now their new coach has the same players and Michigan is 6-0 .... WVU has a new coach with the same players and their program still looks great.... Temple has a new coach and their program is doing well. UConn returned most of their players and is 2-4....

Reaction Score
Whatever one thinks of the staff to date this year, it had zilch to do with losing on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Whatever one thinks of the staff to date this year, it had zilch to do with losing on Saturday.

If one thinks the coach has missed the boat on schemes, player selection and play calling (including audibles and getting lined up correctly) has nothing to do with it I guess Zilch is about right.

Having Sio one on one with slot receiver had Zilch to do with that touchdown; I'm sure Collaros is worried we might try the same defense against their spread.

Reaction Score
If one thinks the coach has missed the boat on schemes, player selection and play calling (including audibles and getting lined up correctly) has nothing to do with it I guess Zilch is about right.

Having Sio one on one with slot receiver had Zilch to do with that touchdown; I'm sure Collaros is worried we might try the same defense against their spread.

To be fair, watching Sio Moore get burned is a nice chance of pace from watching Gary Wilburn get burned?

Reaction Score

He was supposed to get safety help but the safety bit on the play action. When defensive assignments are blown it allows for easy scores.

Reaction Score
One spot we definitely need (and it hasn't been the biggest concern on our team, but it was definitely a much better position in the past ) is RB... I was never comfortable with having a guy that played LB in college and at the pro level ... then coached on Defense and special teams after his playing career was over end up coaching our RBs.... I don't see it lasting past this season... I'd be shocked if it did... RBs should be coached by a former RB... ESPECIALLY at the BCS level...

Reaction Score

Wow !!! You are saying the coaching staff have nothing to do with the loss? or the win? I fail to see what your point is, if the coaching staff is not accountable then who is. Cannot blame on execution forever.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Wow !!! You are saying the coaching staff have nothing to do with the loss? or the win? I fail to see what your point is, if the coaching staff is not accountable then who is. Cannot blame on execution forever.

I think this is the biggest problem. There is a big difference between evaluation and blame. Evaluation tries to be objective. Blame doesn't. If we weren't so invested in wins and losses or being a fan of a team, we would confine our observations to various playmaking, examining the details for the strengths and weakness of each play and each players part in the play. But that isn't possible if all we're interested in is wins and dominance.

What I see with this coaching staff is the attempt to develop more complex schemes on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. That is risky because there can be more mistakes in this approach. But without doing this, the team will always be limited. If the kids learn this new system they will be better than staying with a more basic scheme of plays. But this change won't come easy.

A lot of kids can pass Algebra. But fewer can pass Calculus and still fewer Differential equations. There is a weeding out process that goes with greater complexity. The coaching staff will find out who can handle the complex plays and who can't. And they will fill in the gaps, hopefully, with new players as each season goes by. This season was going to be a sacrifice for the future. Four or five years from now is when we will know if the attempt was worth it. It is far to premature to evaluate this coaching staff currently.

Reaction Score

Basically what he is saying is Vince Lombardi could not have coached us to a win vs WVU this past weekend.

Reaction Score
He was supposed to get safety help but the safety bit on the play action. When defensive assignments are blown it allows for easy scores.

No one in their right minds lines up Sio Moore against a slot receiver, I don't care if he has #7 for LSU as help (obviously overstated since our DC did just that). The safety biting on play fake is pretty weak, if that's true (wasn't watching that, only the incredible distance Sio was from the WR on the catch) then instead of WR being open by 10 yards, if the safety did his assignment the WR would have only been open by 5 yards. The cover guy needs to take away the under in your senario, Sio wasn't close enough to the WR to force any delay in the throw or extra height in the pass to throw over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom