I'm sick of the negative threads: Ed Daigneault, Waterbury-Republican- UConn to Big 10 "in play" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm sick of the negative threads: Ed Daigneault, Waterbury-Republican- UConn to Big 10 "in play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am hoping Susan and Warde were out in Virgin Islands because we are already in talks with B1G? Maybe they know something we don't? These things are usually done in secrecy months ahead of announcements. Maryland were talking to B1G for months before they made the move.
I never heard President Herbst was in the Virgin Islands. Are you sure?

Reaction Score
I never heard President Herbst was in the Virgin Islands. Are you sure?

They were there for women's Paradise Jam tournament. It makes no sense during this important conference realignment time they would be out there in Virgin Islands hanging out. Hopefully, they know something we don't.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The rumor that the B1G is not done is also being reported on the WBB board.

Reaction Score
This is a Delany thing. He has the strategy and goes to the potential invites. He's not persuaded by any begging imo.

So Delaney sees our potential more than our administrators do. Sad if that is true.

Reaction Score
We are totally going to the B1g.

I know football drives the train but Delaney is not going to let the ACC have the entire east coast in hoops.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Daigneault has a "feeling"? Hey Ed, feel this!

Reaction Score
They were there for women's Paradise Jam tournament. It makes no sense during this important conference realignment time they would be out there in Virgin Islands hanging out. Hopefully, they know something we don't.

Well the AD for Wake Forest was there as well and by all reports Wake supported UConn?

Purdue was also there... As well as a few large scale donors?

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
You know what, there's been enough bad news this past week that I'm choosing to believe this rumor. The BTN will look very nice on my new TV.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The rumor that the B1G is not done is also being reported on the WBB board.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
The Woman's Board, seriously? ...Well that's good enough for me.

Reaction Score
Coleman is the Michigan President.

http://www.annarbor.com/mi/wolverines/2012/11/michigan_president_mary_sue_co_3/
"[If you consider] the 10- to 20-year time frame, the Midwest is shrinking, the coasts are expanding," Coleman said, continuing her outspoken support for the expansion. "It is about reaching our alums. We've got a huge number of alums on the east coast."
"I think Maryland provides us with a great opportunity to connect with another great public institution, another top-20 public institution."

Even with my #bleedblue glasses it's still difficult for me to believe that Manuel is playing rope-a-dope. He's just that good at getting pummeled by events.

However, we do know at a minimum that Manuel and Michigan's AD (another proponent of expansion) were talking in late summer about moving the michigan game. Columbo acted dumb, so maybe manuel is more cunning than we give him credit for...

Reaction Score
Over in SEC land, from tonight:

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blo...e-very-supportive-of-atlanta-as-playoff-site/

Q and A with SEC commissioner Slive:

Q: Is there still more conference realignment to come?

A: If you had asked me four or five months ago, I would have thought maybe we were entering an era of stability. But since I can’t speak for anybody else except myself, it’s hard to know. There isn’t anything in this area that surprises me anymore.

Q: Is the SEC entrenched for now at 14 members? Or could you go to 16?

A: We were very comfortable at 12. We were very successful at 12. And when (Texas A&M and Missouri) contacted us and our folks analyzed them … we felt they’d be a good addition. And they are. I think we are comfortable now at 14. But given the vagaries of the world we live in, I would never say never.

Reaction Score
I think it is too early to put any stock in this. But at this point I like the B1G better simply because I would like nothing more than to tell the ACC to F themselves. So I will hope that there is something to this, without believing.

If the ACC rolled up tomorrow and said, "Our bad, we want UConn too" I don't even think that would make me the slightest bit happy. If what we are hearing is true, the ACC is just going to get ripped apart anyways. I would prefer a path that takes us to a final enduring position.

Reaction Score
I think it is too early to put any stock in this. But at this point I like the B1G better simply because I would like nothing more than to tell the ACC to F themselves. So I will hope that there is something to this, without believing.

If the ACC rolled up tomorrow and said, "Our bad, we want UConn too" I don't even think that would make me the slightest bit happy. If what we are hearing is true, the ACC is just going to get ripped apart anyways. I would prefer a path that takes us to a final enduring position.

This....and save $50M. :)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hey if it were just a matter of moving the michigan game to the Meadowlands as a condition of getting invited to the B1G then DO IT ALREADY!

But like zoo... I'm going to follow this story without believing it for now. I just can't take the stress. Of course if there are more substantial rumors I will have no choice but to check the BY and twitter every hour for the latest tidbit.

Reaction Score
Dream scenario.

A school or three decides to leave the ACC. And further defections look likely. The ACC is being picked apart to fill the SEC, B1G and Big 12 in their final set. UConn is one of the schools being considered to be the 16th school in the B1G.

ACC offers UConn, and Herbst publicly rebuffs the overture: "While we are honored by the invitation at this late date, we continue to see cause for optimism in the devil we know and are optimistic about a further opportunities".

We may have been desperate, but we aren't stupid.

The money isn't going to be there for the ACC. The defections will happen,

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dream scenario.

A school or three decides to leave the ACC. And further defections look likely. The ACC is being picked apart to fill the SEC, B1G and Big 12 in their final set. UConn is one of the schools being considered to be the 16th school in the B1G.

ACC offers UConn, and Herbst publicly rebuffs the overture: "While we are honored by the invitation at this late date, we continue to see cause for optimism in the devil we know and are optimistic about a further opportunities".

The ACC doesn't offer unless you've already accepted. They will get raided again, and we will hang on their every word, again. It is the only option we have, but it looks more and more likely that the new ACC survival plan is one focused exclusively on football and the south. Academics do not figure in the equation at all, nor do our other programs. No one cares about women's basketball, and our men's basketball--rightly or wrongly--is viewed as a has been that was a cult of Calhoun's personality. The ACC said it wants to add the most "exciting" athletic programs, and we don't have one. When they get around to inviting us, it will be like the BE adding Tulane--except no one will even be excited about the road trip.

We are both desperate and stupid. I understand why people here want to believe the rumors that the B1G is considering UConn, but I think it's really irresponsible for the folks who are pimping that. I don't think we're on their list if they go to 20 schools.

Reaction Score
We are both desperate and stupid. I understand why people here want to believe the rumors that the B1G is considering UConn, but I think it's really irresponsible for the folks who are pimping that. I don't think we're on their list if they go to 20 schools.

It was my "dream" scenario, I don't expect it to happen.

It is kind of irresponsible. It's basically suggesting that all of these intricate pieces will fall into place for us and all will be good. If UVA leaves then that means this will happen, therefore the other thing will happen which means B1G will have no other choice other than to....

I do see the demolition of the ACC in the cards. Just look at what the Maryland defection has done to them. Imagine what will happen when one or two more announce.

The best thing to do is to plan for the worst. Plan to be successful with what we have. It can be done.

If the B1G is our objective, we have to ask the B1G where we stand. Herbst has to call Delany and say "Jim, were trying to chart a realistic strategy for us, we're eager to join, but we need to know where we really realistically stand so we can set our expectations".

I am sure this discussion has occured in some form already, but we have to assume the worst.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

It is kind of irresponsible. It's basically suggesting that all of these intricate pieces will fall into place for us and all will be good. If UVA leaves then that means this will happen, therefore the other thing will happen which means B1G will have no other choice other than to....

I do see the demolition of the ACC in the cards. Just look at what the Maryland defection has done to them. Imagine what will happen when one or two more announce.

The best thing to do is to plan for the worst. Plan to be successful with what we have. It can be done.

If the B1G is our objective, we have to ask the B1G where we stand. Herbst has to call Delany and say "Jim, were trying to chart a realistic strategy for us, we're eager to join, but we need to know where we really realistically stand so we can set our expectations".

I am sure this discussion has occured in some form already, but we have to assume the worst.
You dream man. You've earned it. It could be argued its irresponsible not to dream. Anyways hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I agree. I think the discussion has occurred and she knows we don't have shot. I believe that Herbst did what she could in the time she has had to make us a B1G candidate, but it is not going to happen and she knows it. She also knows that the ACC was our best shot, and that it is trending away from us. That's why her comments now signal resignation to staying in the Big East and focusing on things other than athletics. Fishy is right: We are the biggest loser in conference realignment. We almost made it, but now we have to come to terms with the fact that we didn't, and we won't.

Reaction Score
What sources does Daignault have? Did someone say something in the line at the deli at Nardelli's?

He doesn't have a source. It was a hunch.

He probably said it to stir this place up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dream scenario.

My dream scenario involves an immediate B1G invite, winning national championships in Football, men's and women's BB, soccer and baseball, me winning a 500 million lottery, my hair growing back in on my head, and of course this:
Kate-Upton-kate-upton-29099375-1280-1024.jpg

But yours is nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member