I'm seeing the next kick coming, loud and clear... | The Boneyard

I'm seeing the next kick coming, loud and clear...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
This PAC12 confluence of events coming down the pipe will cause the next set of moves. We're screwed.

First time, it was "football history"
Second, it was "TV markets"
Third, it was some of those, plus "you're not in the midwest / south"
Now? "You're not on the west coast"

1) Their 500M rights offering - their network sucks, and they're not clearing enough cash.
2) Their basketball competitiveness is in question. Their basketball has outright sucked for at least 5 years, and doesn't show much sign of getting better. Their historical flagship basketball program (UCLA) just fired their coach mid-season, and their current flagship (Arizona) is probably probation-bound with this FBI noise.
3) Their football competitiveness is approaching G5-levels. Even if it's not truly that bad (and it probably isn't), this sport is a stupid beauty contest anyway, and they're looking like pigs. Remember the narrative with Washington playing Auburn, that they needed to win to have a sniff at the playoff? You know who else plays by those set of "rules?" Boise St. UCF (when they don't get games cancelled). Houston (when they had Herman).

In terms of specifics of the moves - your guess is as good as mine. Do they hope the B12 loses a couple of marquis programs, and try for the ones they want? Do the better names split off, and leave a few laggards? Do they retry this "scheduling alliance" with another P5 conference? None of these choices are great, but it's clear (at least to me) that they can't stay pat.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I can definitely see the PAC targeting some of the Big 12 whales or even smaller fish, then the Big 12 raiding the AAC to backfill. Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, USF, and of course UCF would all be in play. Too bad the Big 12 doesn't value part-time hockey venues as much as we do.

Reaction Score
I also would not be suprised if the Big 10 made a play for Arizona, Stanford, UCLA, or Cal.

A reshuffling will benefit UConn.

Reaction Score
I also would not be suprised if the Big 10 made a play for Arizona, Stanford, UCLA, or Cal.

A reshuffling will benefit UConn.
Because we always get something far worse than our worst fears. The following isn’t the cliff. It’s the fall...Right, my fear with all the shuffling...the AAC offers nothing for UConn to remain...and UConn ends up in the MWC. Travel is insane and hockey moves to some tier level 6 conference. Basketball is moved to the NAC...and whoa....what a nightmare!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I agree the BiG needs younger markets, I don't see how the West Coast is plausible in any way.

But being able to schedule live programming on your own network that starts at noon Eastern time and runs for 14 hours is very interesting.

Scheduling is probably the biggest hurdle in making something like that work. Football is the easy part. Figuring out how to schedule all the Olympic sports is the problem

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This PAC12 confluence of events coming down the pipe will cause the next set of moves. We're screwed.

First time, it was "football history"
Second, it was "TV markets"
Third, it was some of those, plus "you're not in the midwest / south"
Now? "You're not on the west coast"

1) Their 500M rights offering - their network sucks, and they're not clearing enough cash.
2) Their basketball competitiveness is in question. Their basketball has outright sucked for at least 5 years, and doesn't show much sign of getting better. Their historical flagship basketball program (UCLA) just fired their coach mid-season, and their current flagship (Arizona) is probably probation-bound with this FBI noise.
3) Their football competitiveness is approaching G5-levels. Even if it's not truly that bad (and it probably isn't), this sport is a stupid beauty contest anyway, and they're looking like pigs. Remember the narrative with Washington playing Auburn, that they needed to win to have a sniff at the playoff? You know who else plays by those set of "rules?" Boise St. UCF (when they don't get games cancelled). Houston (when they had Herman).

In terms of specifics of the moves - your guess is as good as mine. Do they hope the B12 loses a couple of marquis programs, and try for the ones they want? Do the better names split off, and leave a few laggards? Do they retry this "scheduling alliance" with another P5 conference? None of these choices are great, but it's clear (at least to me) that they can't stay pat.

They can’t generate enough revenue to feed the 12 they have. Nobody who can fix that would join.

I wouldn’t sweat it.

Reaction Score
But being able to schedule live programming on your own network that starts at noon Eastern time and runs for 14 hours is very interesting.

Scheduling is probably the biggest hurdle in making something like that work. Football is the easy part. Figuring out how to schedule all the Olympic sports is the problem

There is no way MN/IA/WI are going to agree to be in a FB division with west coast teams. And no western team is gonna wanna make multiple trips to the great north every fall

Reaction Score
Because we always get something far worse than our worst fears. The following isn’t the cliff. It’s the fall...Right, my fear with all the shuffling...the AAC offers nothing for UConn to remain...and UConn ends up in the MWC. Travel is insane and hockey moves to some tier level 6 conference. Basketball is moved to the NAC...and whoa....what a nightmare!
Nothing other than learning how to play football will benefit UConn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom