I'm not surprised we lost tonight... | The Boneyard

I'm not surprised we lost tonight...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
but I am surprised we got our doors blown off. We did absolutely nothing right tonight. We couldn't get open shots, our ball movement was garbage, and we didn't have an answer for Hopkins (don't tell me Johnson-he couldn't handle Stonehill).

I bought the hype after the 14-0 start that we were the best team in the country. We are not. Houston likely is, but we may have blown our realistic chance of getting a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. We are going to lose more games and if we lose just two more, a #1 seed is likely out of the question. We need an iso guy when we need a bucket and the ball movement is poor. I don't know if that is Hawkins or Newton, but we need to figure it out pronto. Our style works well if we get open a lot and take a lead. This team will not be able to come back from deficits. We need to figure it out.

Reaction Score
but I am surprised we got our doors blown off. We did absolutely nothing right tonight. We couldn't get open shots, our ball movement was garbage, and we didn't have an answer for Hopkins (don't tell me Johnson-he couldn't handle Stonehill).

I bought the hype after the 14-0 start that we were the best team in the country. We are not. Houston likely is, but we may have blown our realistic chance of getting a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. We are going to lose more games and if we lose just two more, a #1 seed is likely out of the question. We need an iso guy when we need a bucket and the ball movement is poor. I don't know if that is Hawkins or Newton, but we need to figure it out pronto. Our style works well if we get open a lot and take a lead. This team will not be able to come back from deficits. We need to figure it out.
We really needed a Stephon Castle reclass.

Reaction Score
Clingan was a positive tonight. perfect from the floor, 12 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks in 21 minutes. Hawkins had a nice second half... Karaban could have had a nice game if we bothered to protect him on defense. Other than that? Not feeling so great tonight.

Coaching was better than X, but still not great. No adjustment on Hopkins AT ALL. Guards couldn't hit the backboard, let alone a shot. Just ugly.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Clingan was a positive tonight. perfect from the floor, 12 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks in 21 minutes. Hawkins had a nice second half... Karaban could have had a nice game if we bothered to protect him on defense. Other than that? Not feeling so great tonight.

Coaching was better than X, but still not great. No adjustment on Hopkins AT ALL. Guards couldn't hit the backboard, let alone a shot. Just ugly.
I was only able to watch about 10 minutes of the Xavier game, but with the exception of the T, I think Hurley did a much better coaching job in Cincinnati. Tonight was embarrassing.

Reaction Score
I was only able to watch about 10 minutes of the Xavier game, but with the exception of the T, I think Hurley did a much better coaching job in Cincinnati. Tonight was embarrassing.

Not playing Clingan more was coaching malpractice. I think it was his worst coached game since SJU Sanogo's freshman year.

Reaction Score

#1seed??? Omg

People need to get real. If the season started w Conf play we’d probably be around 150 in the country. This is why I don’t understand the infatuation w rankings. Let your eyes be your judge.

Reaction Score
Tonight was significantly better, he got outcoached at Xavier and made no adjustments. He made adjustments tonight, even if it wasn't enough and we should have protected Karaban more. Tonight was on the awful execution by the players

Reaction Score
how is it possible that they get EVERY single 50/50 ball? Some of them touch 3 or 4 of our guys before it ends up in their hands.
We got a bunch throughout the game, especially on the glass in the 1st half, but the last 10 minutes they did get most of them.

Reaction Score

Just curious, what adjustment would you make with our personnel.

Not trying to be funny. I really don’t know how to do it without going zone.

Reaction Score
Just curious, what adjustment would you make with our personnel.

Not trying to be funny. I really don’t know how to do it without going zone.

Jackson needed to guard Hopkins from the tip. Protect Karaban on defense and his offense makes him an asset. Throwing him up against these athletic fours and letting them feast is 1) exhausting him and 2) killing his confidence. I said YESTERDAY (check my posts) that we shouldn't have Karaban on Hopkins. It was obvious and has been for weeks.

I liked the decision to try some double-big, but it doesn't work if Jackson is also in the game.

IMO we needed to play Clingan more minutes in the first half... but that's easy to say in hindsight.

Reaction Score
Tonight were were outhustled, out played and out willed but another team. There is nothing positive to take from tonight. Worst part is we looked resigned to our own fate and let it play out.

Reaction Score

What was the Carmelo Anthony. I mean Hopkins adjustment? Double teaming in a game where the whistle was on autoblow?

Reaction Score
What was the Carmelo Anthony. I mean Hopkins adjustment? Double teaming in a game where the whistle was on autoblow?

Put Jackson on him. Double from the baseline. Zone. Literally ANYTHING other than "try harder alex!"

It was obvious before tip-off that Karaban couldn't guard Hopkins and we did absolutely nothing to support him. We needed to put Jackson on him to start the game. It was clear as day.

Reaction Score
Jackson needed to guard Hopkins from the tip. Protect Karaban on defense and his offense makes him an asset. Throwing him up against these athletic fours and letting them feast is 1) exhausting him and 2) killing his confidence. I said YESTERDAY (check my posts) that we shouldn't have Karaban on Hopkins. It was obvious and has been for weeks.

I liked the decision to try some double-big, but it doesn't work if Jackson is also in the game.

IMO we needed to play Clingan more minutes in the first half... but that's easy to say in hindsight.
Doesn't this mean that Karaban would in turn be guarding Noah Locke?

If you have someone filling in the defensive help for Karaban at the 4, then Karaban cannot be on the floor. The 4 is literally the only position he "can" guard

Reaction Score
Doesn't this mean that Karaban would in turn be guarding Noah Locke?

If you have someone filling in the defensive help for Karaban at the 4, then Karaban cannot be on the floor. The 4 is literally the only position he "can" guard

He can trail a 3 point shooter. His issue is guarding the drive. Locke does not drive.

Reaction Score
He can trail a 3 point shooter. His issue is guarding the drive. Locke does not drive.
I think Hopkins would have just brought AJ in the post and ate him up. AJ is the man but he isn’t smart enough to be down there guarding Hopkins. He would have fouled out, real quick.

Reaction Score

Agreed. Would also argue it won't work with Diarra, too. Newton, Joey C, and Hawkins paired with the double bigs if you're going to give it a go.

Shifting gears a bit, I'm not sure what Hurley sees in practice but I am perplexed that Newton leads us in MPG. I just... don't see it. Would love to see Hassan get a few of those minutes. I understand his shooting limitations but I think he brings a ton to the table besides that.

Reaction Score
BE early league projections (from “experts”) as to its quality was WRONG.

Reaction Score
I think Hopkins would have just brought AJ in the post and ate him up. AJ is the man but he isn’t smart enough to be down there guarding Hopkins. He would have fouled out, real quick.

Andre is maybe the most talented and versatile defender in the country. Give me a break.

Reaction Score
No one should be surprised we lost. We knew PC was a tough defensive minded team who doesn’t lose at home. We should all be surprised they completely outclassed us
You were saying in the days before the game that this would be a bad loss

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom