OT: - I'm not really sure what this is, but it's awesome | The Boneyard

OT: I'm not really sure what this is, but it's awesome

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Netherlands pregame rally for a soccer game. There had to be at least 10k people in the streets. I know it's not the World Cup or the Olympics, but it's something BIG.

In the US the best pregame tradition I can think of is football tailgating, which is mostly a ruse to let people get drunk before the game.

Europe takes these things serious. The Dutch have a great song and toss in a few dance steps, all of which travels to the back of the line seamlessly.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Netherlands pregame rally for a soccer game. There had to be at least 10k people in the streets. I know it's not the World Cup or the Olympics, but it's something BIG.

In the US the best pregame tradition I can think of is football tailgating, which is mostly a ruse to let people get drunk before the game.

Europe takes these things serious. The Dutch have a great song and toss in a few dance steps, all of which travels to the back of the line seamlessly.

I was prepared to scoff at this, but it was kind of awesome. You know it started with just a few drunk guys walking up this road singing before every game. And then a few more drunk guys join them. And then a few more. I also like how whatever the words once were they have devolved into da da da da dah dah... with periodic shouts of the team name.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I was prepared to scoff at this, but it was kind of awesome. You know it started with just a few drunk guys walking up this road singing before every game. And then a few more drunk guys join them. And then a few more. I also like how whatever the words once were they have devolved into da da da da dah dah... with periodic shouts of the team name.

In the front the words could be heard, but I don't understand Dutch.

CL82

Reaction Score
In the front the words could be heard, but I don't understand Dutch.
Unless their language is entirely made up da das, which is a possibility, I think it's a filler. Anyway, that was actually pretty cool.

Reaction Score

It's Euro 2024-it's a big event, almost as big as the World Cup to European soccer fans. Some think it's more difficult to win the Euros than the World Cup because some really good European teams get left behind in the World Cup because the World Cup has to take more teams from Asia, Africa, and North and Central America which tend to be inferior to many European teams.

The Dutch are like the Boston Red Sox of world soccer before the Red Sox won in 2004. The Dutch have won the Euros once, but they have come oh so close to winning the World Cup without every winning one.

Reaction Score
I was in Rome in 2018 for the World Cup and there had to be over 100,000 people there watching the match on a large screen by the Capital building in central Rome. I have never experienced anything like it.

Reaction Score
I was in Rome in 2018 for the World Cup and there had to be over 100,000 people there watching the match on a large screen by the Capital building in central Rome. I have never experienced anything like it.

I was tending bar in London during the '98 World Cup. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever been around. Match days when England were playing were absolutely insane, and the night they lost to Argentina was one of the few times I was legitimately concerned for my life. It was awesome.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
one of the few times I was legitimately concerned for my life. It was awesome.
You seldom see these phrases together, but I get it.

When I got to California in 1996, I started working in Los Gatos and everyone would tell stories about the 1994 World Cup. Evidently, all the Brazilian fans adopted Los Gatos during the tournament. Meaning they completely took it over, filling the streets everywhere. They played 3 matches at Stanford Stadium, including vs USA.

Reaction Score
only 8 countries have won the world cup. netherlands is the best not to have won it, with 3 runner up finishes. theyve had two really good periods of soccer. in the '70s they had 2 second place finishes and in the 2010s they had second and third place finishes.

they always have elite attacking players. i was rooting for robben, snjeder, van persie, kuyt, etc to get it done in 2010 and 2014 but now theyre all retired and it might be another 40 years until theyre good enough to win it all again.

Reaction Score
only 8 countries have won the world cup. netherlands is the best not to have won it, with 3 runner up finishes. theyve had two really good periods of soccer. in the '70s they had 2 second place finishes and in the 2010s they had second and third place finishes.

they always have elite attacking players. i was rooting for robben, snjeder, van persie, kuyt, etc to get it done in 2010 and 2014 but now theyre all retired and it might be another 40 years until theyre good enough to win it all again.
#vanpersie

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
I was working in Paris in 1998 when France won the World Cup. Chaos reigned for days. This was awesome also.

Reaction Score

Thats actually their military marching.

Reaction Score
Speaking of European chants, someone should teach the students how to do the Poznan. Would bang in Gampel.

Reaction Score
Speaking of European chants, someone should teach the students how to do the Poznan. Would bang in Gampel.

Love it. Let's have the UConn AD send out the message to all UConn fans. :)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I like almost everything about the Dutch. They absolutely need to get rid of all of that orange however.

CL82

Reaction Score
Wearing horns while holding a beer and hopping to the right and the left?
Yes. Europe still has many fields with cattle on them, so horns are effective camouflage. Hopping left and right obviously makes it much more difficult for opposing forces to target them.

Don't doubt them there's a reason why they haven't lost a war in over 350 years.

Reaction Score
Best post game celebration
IMG_0870.jpeg

Reaction Score
It's always the bouncing that gives it a great effect. Whether its sporting event or concert, seeing this kind of thing in Europe and South America has always had that WOW effect.

Reaction Score

They just discovered country line dancing?

Reaction Score
I’m in the UK and hope and pray they’re out of this thing soon. I can’t take all of this « football » fever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom