I'm not complaining, just explaining...UConn vs UCF | The Boneyard

I'm not complaining, just explaining...UConn vs UCF

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn vs UCF.jpeg

I'll agree that was a strange game last night against UCF, but not a "bad" game. Yes, UConn only scored 80 points and won by 36. Compared to the South Florida (USF) game, the Huskies did not play as well, but how often can you play the best game of the year, offensively AND defensively?

First, can we all agree the defense played great again? Consider:
1. UCF scored 19 points in the first half. Twenty minutes, only 19 points. ;)
2. The Knights shot 33% for the game and missed 39 shots.
3. UCF had 19 turnovers and only 19 baskets. :D
4. The 44 total points were the 2nd lowest by an opponent all season. (ECU had 35)
5. UCF was outrebounded 43-30, had only 6 assists and 3 free throws.

Can we also agree UCF committed more than 13 fouls? Clearly, their strategy was to muscle up Katie Lou & company and play slow, sloppy basketball. There is a difference between boxing out and a hip check, just ask Kia. In any case, compared to the USF game, the offense shot fewer free throws (11 vs 18) and shot fewer threes (21 vs 30), but overall, only took 3 fewer shots (66 vs 69). Does that explain 20 fewer points? No, shooting 36% in the first half does..! Against USF on Saturday, the % was 54% in the 1st half.

As badly as the offense played in the first 20 minutes, it was very good in the 2nd half. Consider:
1. Shooting % in 2nd half = 64% (vs 53% at USF)
2. Points scored in 2nd half = 48 (vs 49 at USF)
3. Assists in 2nd half = 12 (vs 13 at USF)

While the two 2nd halves compare fairly well, the first 20 minutes do not. UConn took until the halftime break to figure out how to play against a physical UCF team that was slowing the pace and putting bodies on the Huskies. Once they did, the lead went from 13 at the half, to 36 at the end. The lesson learned more than makes up for one half of uninspired offense. :)

Go Huskies..!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good post. As I said on another thread, after watching the game again, I only saw one play that clearly should have been called a foul, at the end of the 3rd qtr when Gabby forced a TO at midcourt which resulted in a layup for Lou. Lou was clearly fouled on the play. Other than that, what I saw was a UCF team that played really hard and caught the Huskies by surprise at the start of the game with their athleticism and hustle. Also point out that UConn missed a bunch of open shots in the 1st half that had nothing to do with UCF's defense.

Reaction Score
Good post. As I said on another thread, after watching the game again, I only saw one play that clearly should have been called a foul, at the end of the 3rd qtr when Gabby forced a TO at midcourt which resulted in a layup for Lou. Lou was clearly fouled on the play. Other than that, what I saw was a UCF team that played really hard and caught the Huskies by surprise at the start of the game with their athleticism and hustle. Also point out that UConn missed a bunch of open shots in the 1st half that had nothing to do with UCF's defense.

Also where Lou was tackled (the picture in first post) and Lou was also fouled during a rebound where it looked like Z caught her (which she did some) but... the replay showed the UCF player hit her right across the face. So that is 3 just on Lou and pretty obvious which were not called.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
View attachment 27664

I'll agree that was a strange game last night against UCF, but not a "bad" game. Yes, UConn only scored 80 points and won by 36. Compared to the South Florida (USF) game, the Huskies did not play as well, but how often can you play the best game of the year, offensively AND defensively? Go Huskies..!!

David, please stop making sense. You’re making the rest of us look bad. ;-)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Also where Lou was tackled (the picture in first post) and Lou was also fouled during a rebound where it looked like Z caught her (which she did some) but... the replay showed the UCF player hit her right across the face. So that is 3 just on Lou and pretty obvious which were not called.
When Lou was hit across the face, the refs did call a foul. As for the tackle, I looked at that play closely and what I saw was two players diving for a loose ball, and Lou trying to sell it as a foul. That was a good no-call IMO.

Reaction Score
It seemed to me that the refs were a lot quicker to call fouls on our players than theirs. Maybe that's why the feathers of some were ruffled as much as they were. Credit to HCGA ;) for calling out his players to just deal with it and get on with doing what it takes to win the game under the circumstances it was being played/called. Chalk this one up as up another "legendary" half-time adjustment for Geno.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 27664

I'll agree that was a strange game last night against UCF, but not a "bad" game. Yes, UConn only scored 80 points and won by 36. Compared to the South Florida (USF) game, the Huskies did not play as well, but how often can you play the best game of the year, offensively AND defensively?

4. The 44 total points were the 2nd lowest by an opponent all season. (ECU had 35)

Can we also agree UCF committed more than 13 fouls? Clearly, their strategy was to muscle up Katie Lou & company and play slow, sloppy basketball. There is a difference between boxing out and a hip check, just ask Kia. In any case, compared to the USF game, the offense shot fewer free throws (11 vs 18) and shot fewer threes (21 vs 30), but overall, only took 3 fewer shots (66 vs 69). Does that explain 20 fewer points? No, shooting 36% in the first half does..! Against USF on Saturday, the % was 54% in the 1st half.

As badly as the offense played in the first 20 minutes, it was very good in the 2nd half. Consider:

While the two 2nd halves compare fairly well, the first 20 minutes do not. UConn took until the halftime break to figure out how to play against a physical UCF team that was slowing the pace and putting bodies on the Huskies. Once they did, the lead went from 13 at the half, to 36 at the end. The lesson learned more than makes up for one half of uninspired offense. :)

Go Huskies..!!
Excellent assessment. I want to mention one irrelevant observation. I had a gut feel that UCF women's BB was going to take a leap forward, as the University seems committed to excellence in athletics. Did you all know that UCF had the only undefeated, Division I football team and beat Auburn in their bowl game? And, if memory serves, Auburn beat Alabama in thier annual match-up at season's end. So don't be surprised if this team begins to improve a lot. And with the former UCONN star on their staff.....watch out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Lou was hit across the face, the refs did call a foul. As for the tackle, I looked at that play closely and what I saw was two players diving for a loose ball, and Lou trying to sell it as a foul. That was a good no-call IMO.
I think Lou got hit in the face to varying degrees at least 4 times.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Excellent assessment. I want to mention one irrelevant observation. I had a gut feel that UCF women's BB was going to take a leap forward, as the University seems committed to excellence in athletics. Did you all know that UCF had the only undefeated, Division I football team and beat Auburn in their bowl game? And, if memory serves, Auburn beat Alabama in thier annual match-up at season's end. So don't be surprised if this team begins to improve a lot. And with the former UCONN star on their staff.....watch out.
Coach Abe worked a minor miracle at UAlbany before accepting the HC job at UCF, a program, as you point out, that has a lot of resources and a desire to succeed. If she can bring in a top recruit or two (Who doesn’t want to go to school at Disney World?) UCF will make some noise not only in the AAC, but also nationally.

Reaction Score
missed a bunch of open shots in the 1st half that had nothing to do with UCF's defense.
View attachment 27664

Go Huskies..!!

You hit many of the notable points. By way of embellishment . . .

1. UConn held UCF to 6 points on 3 FG up until the last minute in the 1st Q. But a banked UCF jumper with 3.4 seconds left made it 18-8 at the end of the quarter.

2. From 5:10 in the 1st Q until 4:27 left in 2nd Q, UConn held UCF to 2 FG (this includes the banked shot at the end of the 1st Q). 2 FG in a little under 11 minutes of basketball.

3. In the first half, I counted as many as 9 UConn shots that on most nights probably would have gone in. Many of those were shots taken right at the rim, including:
1st Q
8:18 -- Lou missed layup
8:01 -- CD missed layup
7:19 -- Phees missed short jumper
6:15 -- CD missed jump shot (Phees put back)
2nd Q
6:50 -- Z missed bunny
4:50 -- Phees missed bunny (Z put back)
2:43 -- Phees little jumper in the lane, touch foul
1:55 -- Lou missed bunny

I credit UCF somewhat for their aggressive play, perhaps causing UConn to force things. But if even a third of those shots drop and we make a couple a FTs, the lead would have been a comfortable 20+ at halftime. This is to take nothing away from UCF. They played tough. We need games like this.

Reaction Score
Geno is right to coach the players to play through the other team's fouls and the referees' lack of whistles. They can't change it during the game so they have to deal with it and figure it out.
But WE can complain on this board! As much as we desire excellence from the players, we want good, if not excellent refereeing.
Just from viewing the highlights posted on YouTube by Storrs South, I see a couple of plays that might have been missed calls (in addition to Lou getting slammed at the end of the third qtr. HOW did they not call that?):
1st qtr, 4:07 left, Gabby gets hammered in the back while passing away the ball she just rebounded. No call. Then she gets called (correct call) for yanking another player out of the way.
4th qtr, 8:02, Crystal gets knocked to the floor taking a jumper.
Ah well, nobody is perfect, except we posters.

Reaction Score

Lou was also fouled when she hit a layup and was heard saying "and one!" The player clearly had her arm come down on Lou's shoulder. Because it didn't affect the shot doesn't mean you could come down on a player's shoulder while they are up in the air. Though I did feel Lou was complaining a bit too much - for example the charge. She charged and seemed like she was complaining.

Reaction Score

It sure looked like that player pulled her down but no matter, pretty obvious she was fouled quite a bit. Not making excuses because I thought she did not have a great game. Actually I think this was a great game for UConn in terms of testing and showing them how teams will come after them in March, more valuable then USF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom