I'm glad we had this game | The Boneyard

I'm glad we had this game

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm glad we had a hard test, they'll learn a lot from this... They experienced a rough, high energy, trash talking team... it shows them it's not going to be so easy... UConn out rebounded West Va 41-34... Free throws and turnovers are what killed this game, not so much the 3 point shooting but definitely the turnovers... the reason why the team was successful last year was because of 1. There was so much experience on that team, not just in talent but in games played and knowing the game and 2. boat was bazz's release valve like bazz was to kemba, someone who can handle the ball and run the offense while also keeping the defense on them because they can handle the ball and shoot it well... hamilton is going to have some bad games, this game was turnovers other than that he was aggressive, rebounded well, shot well, pushed the ball, and i love how he follows his shot(that wasnt a foul on him)...also facey has so much bounce in him i love his aggression on the board both offensively and defensively... once everyone learns their roles we will be fine... they were shocked from the tempo right from the start, no one was looking to get the ball other than boat and hamilton at times... this was a game to learn from and im sure ollie will correct it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i think the only positive takeaways from this game are, facey played pretty well and, when hamilton isn't passing to other teams he's very promising

Reaction Score
I know the turnovers certainly helped dig the hole, but what worries me more is our inability to handle the pressure that caused those turnovers. We saw it last year against Louisville and never really saw an effective adjustment.

Reaction Score
KO will work with them. A lot of these guys had never seen a press like the one WVU brought tonight.

No one ever said we had to be undefeated. None of our great teams were

Reaction Score
Was going to post something similar. This was a great early season game to lose. Hopefully, it illustrated that Boat needs to keep his composure a bit better as our leader. There was obviously history here, but being down 10-15 and having our leader get into a trash talking battle is not beneficial. DHam, as incredibly talented as he is, will learn that against "real" teams (no slight to Dayton) you cannot leave your feet to pass. This game should show us how to deal with a press. The 2nd half was a marked difference from the first where we were obviously flustered and had needless turnovers. Facey played excellent on offense. I'd like to see us get him in open space a bit more. I think his ten points game on offensive boards/layups off penetration. Why not try to post him sometime to keep the defense honest? I'm hoping that our poor free throw shooting and putrid permiter shooting can be attributed to the "double rims" as opposed to us just having a mediocre perimeter game. All the same, an early season loss is not a bad thing if we can take specific things away from it. I feel like this game was a "good" loss. Also, WVU is vastly underrated. Staten is very good and their big men are strong, athletic, and tough. That was a tourney team we lost to.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I know the turnovers certainly helped dig the hole, but what worries me more is our inability to handle the pressure that caused those turnovers. We saw it last year against Louisville and never really saw an effective adjustment.
right, i think the inexperience goes with that, but going forward we need to find another ball handler to help boat... i think tsam will be that guy to beat the press... our team has the talent just not the experience yet

Reaction Score
We need to get the ball down low to Facey and ab more as we can't shoot outside. The offense needs to change. I'm not taking about them dominating the offense but at least look at both of them.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
hamilton and facey rebounded very well, both almost had double doubles... hamilton almost had a triple double :oops::mad:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We need to get the ball down low to Facey and ab more as we can't shoot outside. The offense needs to change. I'm not taking about them dominating the offense but at least look at both of them.
the game was chaotic from the get go, no flow for the team

Reaction Score
the game was chaotic from the get go, no flow for the team
Yes Ryan actually lost his cool and it was just him and dham trying to create offense at the end of the shot clock. We need some more set plays to get the ball to our bigs.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yes Ryan actually lost his cool and it was just him and dham trying to create offense at the end of the shot clock. We need some more set plays to get the ball to our bigs.
we do and we have... like i said the game was chaotic and it had no flow... we dug such a deep hole the team panicked... i would like to see facey post up or take the shots he has at around 10-12 feet out

Reaction Score
hamilton and facey rebounded very well, both almost had double doubles... hamilton almost had a triple double :oops::mad:
Wait... Hamilton had 15 points and 9 rebounds. The only other stat close to 10 was his 8 turnovers... turnovers don't count for a triple double lol

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wait... Hamilton had 15 points and 9 rebounds. The only other stat close to 10 was his 8 turnovers... turnovers don't count for a triple double lol
hamilton had 9 rebounds, 8 tunrovers, and 15 points... turnovers do count

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not according to Elias sports bureau
yeah, im not going by that... if he got 2 more turnovers I would've called it a triple double... either way i though he played a great game minus that stat

Reaction Score
yeah, im not going by that... if he got 2 more turnovers I would've called it a triple double... either way i though he played a great game minus that stat

He had a very strange game. He was ridiculous early on with 7 quick points (a 3, a j, and that ridiculous behind the back layup). He then turned the ball over 4 or 5 straight times and lost all composure. Then during "garbage time" he he scored 5 more quick points (a 3 and a great take). He showed great skill compounded with some really poor decision making. Not sure it was a "great" game as those needless turnovers helped lead to our deficit.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Our Ferrari caught a flat tire to start the game and we lost to a good , tournament team. This was a game that having Omar definitely would've helped , Facey looked good and T-Sam was decent in an expanded Role. It happens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel like the WV D was easier to install than a plan to overcome it. I have no doubt that we beat that defense in another month. An uninjured Purvis, better shooting, a calmer Boat, outside shooting from Calhoun, even a few fouls from Rock, would be on offer.
Last year there were lots of games when the players looking up to Shabazz wilted in moments when he was not dominating. He usually got around to taking over before the game ended. This year there are fewer experienced players - 1 senior who will play, rather than 3-4. If Boatright falters, panic can ensue unless a 1st or 2d year UConn player steps up. Samuel tried as he did last March. It will go better next time.
I also think that there were good shots taken and the percentage made will improve. Conversely, the opponent improved its 3 point shooting on the year. This was not all defensive lapses, it was clutch players seizing the opportunity to get a signature win. The other team always shoots well unless you stop them, when you are the reigning champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom