I'm Dying Up Here Season 2 | The Boneyard

I'm Dying Up Here Season 2

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A most excellent show on Showtime.

Melissa Leo leads an excellent ensemble cast of stand up comic wannabes.

Season 1 they were all honing skills at Goldies. This season they are chasing dreams. Two episodes in and its in all its glory.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This show is really solid. Right balance of comedy and drama. Unlike so much on cable, it doesn't try to be more than it is, which I like. It isn't making a big social statement or taking itself too seriously.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was watching episode 4 tonight and was thinking how the pace and direction is so good. Each story line is not overplayed. Good balance and interweaving.

Brad Garrett is excellent as a guest star.

I love Erik Griffin.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Through episode 6. I don't get why the critics don't like this show. I think it is really good. It is the first fresh look at Hollywood since Entourage.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have not read any reviews but I would assume there is an anti-Jim Carrey sentiment?

Watching Eddie become full of rage seeing his friends make it big while he drives around an aging comic is gold.

Seeing Dauber (Coach) as an old, creepy uncle is disturbing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't get the critic hostility to the show at all. This is one of the easiest shows to like on TV right now. It is generally really funny, and when the characters decide to cut each other up it is hilarious. Erik Griffin should get at least a supporting role in a studio comedy movie off this show. I can't figure out what it is about Clark Duke, but he is really good at playing the annoying smartass that has just enough self-awareness to be interesting rather than a caricature.

Melissa Leo's part isn't that difficult, but she nails it. I thought Ari Grayner was a really good actress the first time I saw her in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. She went off the grid for a while, but this could re-start her career. Jake Lacy is excellent too, The whole cast is solid. There is no weak link.

The characters are all screwups, so every plot twist is completely credible. One of the things I like the most is that the show doesn't try to be more than it is. It is a show about a bunch of struggling comics at a dingy LA night club in the early 70's. There is no big grand theme, it is just a story about a bunch of borderline losers dragging themselves through life.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The last episode of Season 2 feels a lot like a series finale. I think Showtime is on the fence on renewing it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's been cancelled. I generally won't watch Starz anymore because of their quick triggers on good shows that are looking for an audience, and Showtime is starting to do that too.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It's been cancelled. I generally won't watch Starz anymore because of their quick triggers on good shows that are looking for an audience, and Showtime is starting to do that too.
Damn. I'm dying over here.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I finished it about a month ago, but I felt the same way. The final episode of season 2 felt like a series finale and if I recall the original air date was months before it was officially cancelled.

I liked it a lot, but I don't see how much more they could have done with it, given the final few scenes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom