I'm confused, but I have stats... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm confused, but I have stats...

Reaction Score
yes I know...... I've heard that a thousand times but I'm not buying it...all of a sudden the bench players are practicing like crap at the exact same time?...Lack of an effective bench cost the team in the end last year and may very well again this season....
I think we had a great bench last year, and we lost to ND becuase Geno pulled Azura when she had us winning. I can't get myself to rewatch to confirm the scoring, but I pretty much remember she came in pulled us ahead and for some reason he pulled her out.

Reaction Score
I think we had a great bench last year, and we lost to ND becuase Geno pulled Azura when she had us winning. I can't get myself to rewatch to confirm the scoring, but I pretty much remember she came in pulled us ahead and for some reason he pulled her out.

that and not giving KLS a quick break when she was obviously exhausted in the second half.........

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
during the course of the game I would have rotated Irwin in to give MW a break, ONO to give Collier a break (which he did) Coombs to give CD and CW a break....I'm talking about 2-3 minutes each half if possible only one sub on the floor at a time..remember that as of now two of those three are going to be starters next year....
Actually he had ONO spell MW for 2 minutes, everyone else played a full 40.

Reaction Score
I think Geno realizes that the first team has to be on court to win the championship. So, he is giving them experience in what that feels like. Ono seems to have developed some really bad habits that are proving hard to change. But, there some months before crunch time.

After a Final Four game against ND, Muffet's plan was to get back into the game when UConn substituted. But, she ruefully commented, they never did.

Reaction Score
... and when you are coaching, you can make that decision.

They'll get game time soon enough. In the meantime there is a "tryout" everyday in practice.

"Our margin for error has changed over the years," Auriemma said. "This is one of those years where we have to be prepared to grind it out and that's what we had to do. That's our thing now: Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

How do you prepare for the worst or better yet what is the worst? I'd say other then just not playing well it's foul trouble or injury..........and what happens when you have foul trouble or injury? You utilize your bench..................and how do the bench players play effectively when needed? They learn to play with the other starters during the game when the opponent's starters are still in the game, not in the fourth quarter of an AAC game up 40 points.....................feel free to disagree but that was my opinion last year and it hasn't changed for this season........

Reaction Score
I think Geno realizes that the first team has to be on court to win the championship. So, he is giving them experience in what that feels like. Ono seems to have developed some really bad habits that are proving hard to change. But, there some months before crunch time.

After a Final Four game against ND, Muffet's plan was to get back into the game when UConn substituted. But, she ruefully commented, they never did.

if you're talking about last year even Geno said he questioned his own actions after the fact of not resting KLS...........she was a defensive liability out there due to injury, fatigue and fouls........

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Our margin for error has changed over the years," Auriemma said. "This is one of those years where we have to be prepared to grind it out and that's what we had to do. That's our thing now: Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

How do you prepare for the worst or better yet what is the worst? I'd say other then just not playing well it's foul trouble or injury.....and what happens when you have foul trouble or injury? You utilize your bench...and how do the bench players play effectively when needed? They learn to play with the other starters during the game when the opponent's starters are still in the game, not in the fourth quarter of an AAC game up 40 points......feel free to disagree but that was my opinion last year and it hasn't changed for this season...
I understand everything you are saying. I disagree.

Sports is the ultimate meritocracy. Playing time is earned not given. Apparently it hasn't been earned for kids who aren't playing.

When my kids were very young players occasionally they'd complain about playing time, substitutions, etc. My response was always the same. If you want more time, be so effective that your coach can't afford to take you out. If you are having a bad shooting day, play lock down D, set screens, box out and get rebounds; compete and contribute. I think that it is this side of the equation that you missing. The starting five is constantly making their case to be on the floor. It's up to the bench to make theirs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand everything you are saying. I disagree.

Sports is the ultimate meritocracy. Playing time is earned not given. Apparently it hasn't been earned for kids who aren't playing.

When my kids were very young players occasionally they'd complain about playing time, substitutions, etc. My response was always the same. If you want more time, be so effective that your coach can't afford to take you out. If you are having a bad shooting day, play lock down D, set screens, box out and get rebounds; compete and contribute. I think that these side of the equation that you missing. The starting five is constantly making their case to be on the floor. It's up to the bench to make theirs.

that's fine..............I hope that I am proven wrong but it's a rarity to find a team that doesn't need some help from it's well prepared bench during the season due to foul trouble or injury.........

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
that's fine....I hope that I am proven wrong but it's a rarity to find a team that doesn't need some help from it's well prepared bench during the season due to foul trouble or injury....
I'm in 100% agreement with you on the need for depth. We aren't there yet. I'm hopeful that that will improve before the post season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Every UConn fan is confused by lack of bench play. Every UConn fan worries that when a reserve gets in the game they have no margin for error because one mistake they are back riding the pine. Every UConn fan worries the bench players will become discouraged and transfer. Every UConn fan worries that recruits will stop coming here because the expectations are so high that they will be used to only give high-fives. Every UConn fan worries because Geno the Coach knows best and can back it up with proof of titles and testaments but, Good God!, Geno might retire and we will be like Louisiana Tech! We sure enjoy worrying in Connecticut. Merry Christmas to all on the Boneyard, good health in 2019 and may all your worrying continue in the New Year!
I am a fan and I am not confused by the lack of bench play. There are obviously good reasons for this. When Meg was out, Kyla did what was expected (good thing) but she definitely wasn't a scoring threat, which the opponents knew (bad thing). ONO was adequate but her defense was a disaster in that she is fouling too often. And Mikayla's play certainly didn't open any eyes.
As I posted in another thread, when bench players for our opponents come in a game, there doesn't seem to be noticeable changes in how the team operates (obviously at a lower level than UConn) whereas with us, our performance usually comes down.
If anyone comes off the bench and there's no noticeable difference then I think Geno would play them. Kinda like when Gabby, Pheesa, Morgan T, MoJeff were freshmen and sophomores.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
so you're saying we should expect to see the bench play loads of minutes against Baylor and Louisville because it would be OK to lose to them? I think Geno likes to talk about losing a game being a good thing for his teams in press conferences but in the heat of the game he doesn't believe that for a second.....
Um - not sure where you got that. Regarding those teams, I was sort of saying that they are the only teams remaining on the schedule that should seriously challenge the starters. Doesn't mean I think UConn isn't winning those games. And I don't for one second think Geno actually wants to lose to anybody.

Put another way, they once asked Vivian why her starters stayed in against a mediocre opponent that Rutgers was struggling with. Her comment was - all they had to do was give me a solid lead, and I would have been happy to play the bench. They didn't. So the bench didn't.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I am a fan and I am not confused by the lack of bench play. There are obviously good reasons for this. When Meg was out, Kyla did what was expected (good thing) but she definitely wasn't a scoring threat, which the opponents knew (bad thing). ONO was adequate but her defense was a disaster in that she is fouling too often. And Mikayla's play certainly didn't open any eyes.
As I posted in another thread, when bench players for our opponents come in a game, there doesn't seem to be noticeable changes in how the team operates (obviously at a lower level than UConn) whereas with us, our performance usually comes down.
If anyone comes off the bench and there's no noticeable difference then I think Geno would play them. Kinda like when Gabby, Pheesa, Morgan T, MoJeff were freshmen and sophomores.

On that, I totally disagree.

1) IMHO Kayla could somewhat effectively do the same thing MW did in that game, which is hit a wide open jumper, rebound and defend.. because that is what Cal was giving up offensively, part of Cal's game plan was to let anybody other than Lou shoot from the outside.

1b)Were all 5) of Cal's players reliable scoring threats? Yet they stayed with a team that had 5), go figure.. Fatigue can affect the level of play, one team was well rested and energized by it's home crowd, one was not. Hense a come back is feesable, in what should have been easily a 20 point loss.

2) How many fouls did ONO have in the Cal game? From my point of view ONO's defense in the CAL game in her limited time, was up to par with any other UCONN player, other than Napheesa. And I didn't see her make any huge or stupid error while she was on the court, but that is said without knowing specifically what she was instructed or expected to do by her coaches. What I did notice however was that her presence in the middle dettered a few players from attacking the rim, which is something her team seriously needs.
So my question is why only two minutes in this game?

3) Is it not true that some of our subs are more skilled than their subs, so even if we drop off by putting one in the game for a short stretch, our team should still be way better than an opponent like Cal. No one is asking the coach to replace all 5 starters at once.

4) I believe after the Notre Dame game, coach said ONO is one of those kids who play better in games than in practice, and because of her performance in that game, she would be seeing more time on the court.. I'm still waiting to see this more playing time on a consistent basis that he promised... 5-10 mins a game would sure be a nice confidence booster for a player of her calliber.. vs sitting on the bench cheering and doubting herself more with each passing game, whether she is good enough to play at UCONN.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
@Bajan Best In my post concerning the bench play (that you quoted), I was not specifically referring to the Cal game, I was talking about the overall season. I do not remember ONO doing anything while she was in the Cal game other than she didn't grab a rebound, and in fact I don't think she even touched it even tho the ref called that it was off her. I think that Geno could not believe that she missed the rebound and she was replaced after that. But, it may have something else that Geno didn't like...who knows?????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom