I'm confused, but I have stats... | The Boneyard

I'm confused, but I have stats...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I didn't see the Cal game. But the box score confuses me. For the second straight game, Geno refuses to put his bench on the floor for meaningful minutes. This from a man who says the games during the year are not so important from a winning standpoint, but for getting ready to play the important games in March. That he put them in the game at all in OK means they aren't in his doghouse, so what's up? Trying to see how long it'll take for his starters to wear out? Like I said, confused.

In any case, the accumulated stats and per-40 calculations spreadsheet can be found here.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I didn't see the Cal game. But the box score confuses me. For the second straight game, Geno refuses to put his bench on the floor for meaningful minutes. This from a man who says the games during the year are not so important from a winning standpoint, but for getting ready to play the important games in March. That he put them in the game at all in OK means they aren't in his doghouse, so what's up? Trying to see how long it'll take for his starters to wear out? Like I said, confused.

In any case, the accumulated stats and per-40 calculations spreadsheet can be found here.
I didn't watch and don't look at the stats. But we were noticing the limited bench in the Oklahoma game which we did watch.

I suspect 2 things, that are not mutually exclusive. Both are based on the fact that I think Geno realizes this is not (at this time) a dominating team and may be vulnerable in some games. Therefore:
- winning is, ultimately, important. Because these were teams that are not "that" good, and losing to just an okay team probably isn't very instructive, especially with Baylor and Louisville on the schedule.
- the players need the time playing together and in tough situations to develop for those couple of really tough games coming up.

At least that's what I think. Coaches are a strange bunch, but Geno more than most knows what he is doing, duh.

Reaction Score
Every UConn fan is confused by lack of bench play. Every UConn fan worries that when a reserve gets in the game they have no margin for error because one mistake they are back riding the pine. Every UConn fan worries the bench players will become discouraged and transfer. Every UConn fan worries that recruits will stop coming here because the expectations are so high that they will be used to only give high-fives. Every UConn fan worries because Geno the Coach knows best and can back it up with proof of titles and testaments but, Good God!, Geno might retire and we will be like Louisiana Tech! We sure enjoy worrying in Connecticut. Merry Christmas to all on the Boneyard, good health in 2019 and may all your worrying continue in the New Year!

Reaction Score
It seems that the worrying about bench play will come back to haunt when either Pheesa or Lou are not playing (due to illness, injury, fouls). I would assume that there will be more bench play when the AAC regular season begins, and, that is the plan to develop the bench. In the meantime, getting through the Baylor game, to complete the OOC schedule with a perfect record, sets up UCONN in the Albany region as #1 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't watch and don't look at the stats. But we were noticing the limited bench in the Oklahoma game which we did watch.

I suspect 2 things, that are not mutually exclusive. Both are based on the fact that I think Geno realizes this is not (at this time) a dominating team and may be vulnerable in some games. Therefore:
- winning is, ultimately, important. Because these were teams that are not "that" good, and losing to just an okay team probably isn't very instructive, especially with Baylor and Louisville on the schedule.
- the players need the time playing together and in tough situations to develop for those couple of really tough games coming up.

so you're saying we should expect to see the bench play loads of minutes against Baylor and Louisville because it would be OK to lose to them? I think Geno likes to talk about losing a game being a good thing for his teams in press conferences but in the heat of the game he doesn't believe that for a second....................

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

I see what's upsetting you. You fear that if the starters all play 40 minutes/game, your role on the Boneyard is somehow diminished, and to remain relevant you will either have to impart non-statistical contributions to the site and/or somehow become related to a BY moderator. Good luck!

Reaction Score
Didn't see the game, but from reports it sounded like it was close enough that starters pretty much had to stay in. I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities for some of the "bench" players in the conference games. Still scratchin' my head over the constant back seat driving that goes on regarding coaching. Nonsense.

Reaction Score
so you're saying we should expect to see the bench play loads of minutes against Baylor and Louisville because it would be OK to lose to them? I think Geno likes to talk about losing a game being a good thing for his teams in press conferences but in the heat of the game he doesn't believe that for a second.....
You're right. IMO, he doesn't believe it when he talks about it either.

Reaction Score
I see what's upsetting you. You fear that if the starters all play 40 minutes/game, your role on the Boneyard is somehow diminished, and to remain relevant you will either have to impart non-statistical contributions to the site and/or somehow become related to a BY moderator. Good luck!

the op's concerns about lack of bench play is perfectly valid to me and I could care less about stats other then the ones that effect the long term viability of the team...........

Reaction Score
the op's concerns about lack of bench play is perfectly valid to me and I could care less about stats other then the ones that effect the long term viability of the team......
Player's earn playing time in practice, and Geno coaches to win.

Reaction Score
Player's earn playing time in practice, and Geno coaches to win.

yes I know................ I've heard that a thousand times but I'm not buying it.............all of a sudden the bench players are practicing like crap at the exact same time?.............Lack of an effective bench cost the team in the end last year and may very well again this season.........

Reaction Score
so you're saying we should expect to see the bench play loads of minutes against Baylor and Louisville because it would be OK to lose to them? I think Geno likes to talk about losing a game being a good thing for his teams in press conferences but in the heat of the game he doesn't believe that for a second.....
I totally agree! And that’s a good thing. His job is to win. He gets paid all that money because he wins. Just win baby!

Reaction Score
Unlike some I don't believe anyone ever walked on water. The question of why anyone would frequently complain long and loud about not having a strong bench only to turn around and for all intents never give them meaningful playing time even against the weakest of foes. Couple this with all of the references to needing to be beaten and it becomes less a mystery than an ongoing contradiction. Which is it?

Reaction Score
Unlike some I don't believe anyone ever walked on water. The question of why anyone would frequently complain long and loud about not having a strong bench only to turn around and for all intents never give them meaningful playing time even against the weakest of foes. Couple this with all of the references to needing to be beaten and it becomes less a mystery than an ongoing contradiction. Which is it?

I'm hoping that Geno reverts back to earlier in the season when the bench was given more time..........obviously in tight games the starters are going to play additional minutes but not subbing out players for two or three minute stretches seems counter productive for all concerned.......

Reaction Score
We get it Charlie - you KNOW more about basketball than Geno. He's an idiot that doesn't know or understand effective substitution patterns nor does he understand his team. He's only been lucky.

I'm glad we have that straightened out.............;)

Reaction Score
The stat that stands out to me is that Cal took 14 more shots than UConn. Good thing they missed most of those. Stats like that keep average teams in games.

Reaction Score
Who would you have taken out?

during the course of the game I would have rotated Irwin in to give MW a break, ONO to give Collier a break (which he did) Coombs to give CD and CW a break.........I'm talking about 2-3 minutes each half if possible only one sub on the floor at a time............remember that as of now two of those three are going to be starters next year.........

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I haven't watched the game yet, but it would seem to me that the outcome of this game was in doubt right up to the end. There is a dramatic drop off in talent when you go the bench so Geno had to stick with his starters. There will plenty of time to "develop" the bench/rest the starters during conference play. When they get more minutes it won't because Geno has changed his coaching philosophy. It will be because the game isn't in doubt.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched the game yet, but it would seem to me that the outcome of this game was in doubt right up to the end. There is a dramatic drop off in talent when you go the bench so Geno had to stick with his starters. There will plenty of time to "develop" the bench/rest the starters during conference play. When they get more minutes it won't because Geno has changed his coaching philosophy. It will be because the game isn't in doubt.
It wasn't. UConn got to a 17-point lead at one point, then Cal came back and flirted with getting it back under 6 at times. But it never seemed to me that it was "in doubt" after we took control in the 2nd quarter and ended the half up 6.

Reaction Score

that's a pretty damning analysis of the bench...........I'd like to think they could survive with four of the five starters on the floor at a time for three minutes...........

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
that's a pretty damning analysis of the bench......I'd like to think they could survive with four of the five starters on the floor at a time for three minutes......
... and when you are coaching, you can make that decision.

They'll get game time soon enough. In the meantime there is a "tryout" everyday in practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom