I'm a Kevin Ollie supporter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm a Kevin Ollie supporter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Blaney hasn't had the best track record when taking over in JC's absences. IIRC, he's made a lot of head-scratching moves in the closing minutes of games. Does anyone know our record under Blaney?
But he has a track record.

If Blaney's on the staff, it's a no brainer to let him coach these games. Plus, it's not like three games would magically get Ollie ready to become a head coach.

Reaction Score
You guys are a bit premature in annointing Kevin Ollie as the next head coach at UConn. This is too big a program for that kind of wishful thinking. Susan Herbst will insist on a national search, and there will be plenty of tier one candidates to choose from. Herbst is looking to raise the profile of UConn, and increase the endowment to unprecedented levels. She can't afford a downturn in the Husky brand. I'm afraid Ollie will have to cut his head-coaching teeth at a smaller program.

I think you might be surprised. Ollie has had a lot of experience. Being a PG who mentored a lot of players in the NBA IS experience. Not head coaching exactly, but then you look at others doing it, like Doc Rivers, etc., and you realize these guys are like QBs that know the entire game, the ins and outs.

Reaction Score
Ollie doesn't have the "it" factor going on for him. I understand his work ethic and accomplishments in the NBA ect ect ect but it is my sincere hope his head coaching responsibilities start somewhere other than UConn.

It is my opinion Kevin Ollie completely lacks those undefined subjective attributes that you either have or you don't. The "it" factor which Calhoun has is a hallmark to success. Kevin Ollie does not capture my attention at all. Ollie will be seriously considered and a favorite for the coaching job.

UConn fans should be able to recognize a loser. That is exactly what Kevin Ollie would amount to as UConn's next head coach. A big fat L (emphasis added).

JMHO of course. Nothing personal...

Reaction Score
Ollie doesn't have the "it" factor going on for him. I understand his work ethic and accomplishments in the NBA ect ect ect but it is my sincere hope his head coaching responsibilities start somewhere other than UConn.

It is my opinion Kevin Ollie completely lacks those undefined subjective attributes that you either have or you don't. The "it" factor which Calhoun has is a hallmark to success. Kevin Ollie does not capture my attention at all. Ollie will be seriously considered and a favorite for the coaching job.

UConn fans should be able to recognize a loser. That is exactly what Kevin Ollie would amount to as UConn's next head coach. A big fat L (emphasis added).

Humble?

Reaction Score

Funny cuase I feel the complete opposite. I believe Ollie has that "it" factor and, all things considered, he is the best man to take over for JC when that time comes. JMHO of course.

Reaction Score

I'm not saying I agree with Ollie being handed the coaching job, but how in the **** would you be able to determine whether or not he has those "undefined subjective attributes"? Based on his tweets and the 1-2 shots of him during games?

Just a ridiculous, uninformed post.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Blaney hasn't had the best track record when taking over in JC's absences. IIRC, he's made a lot of head-scratching moves in the closing minutes of games. Does anyone know our record under Blaney?
I thought his record as a UConn coach in the absence of JC is 5-5. I'm not 100% sure, but IIRC he is about .500

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Wow, it doesn't look like we ( all) support Ollie. Pretend for a moment that fan favorites B Stevens n S Miller both are content where they are. Solely, on the topic of Next Head coach, do you favor Glenn Miller, Leito, or Moores experience over Ollie? If you see JC leaving within 5 yrs do you want Ollie to leave then return to UConn? Play President- what's your plan going forward?

Reaction Score
Wow, it doesn't look like we ( all) support Ollie. Pretend for a moment that fan favorites B Stevens n S Miller both are content where they are. Solely, on the topic of Next Head coach, do you favor Glenn Miller, Leito, or Moores experience over Ollie? If you see JC leaving within 5 yrs do you want Ollie to leave then return to UConn? Play President- what's your plan going forward?

Stevens clearly is not the right fit for UConn.

Interesting part of the Miller proposed K with Zona...

In place of GSR, Miller may receive incentive compensation for GPA (Grade Point
Average) achievements as follows:

Miller may receive additional one-time compensation on an annual basis for team
GPA achievements in a given year. Payments are for the highest-ranked
achievement attained and are not cumulative to any lower-ranked achievement in
that category:

$25,000 if the GPA meets or exceeds 2.6*
$50,000 if the GPA meets or exceeds 3.0

*GPA calculation methodology: Initial base team GPA is determined by rounding
the highest cumulative team GPA for the prior contract term to the nearest tenth.
The $25,000 bonus is paid if the cumulative team GPA increases by one-tenth; the
$50,000 bonus is paid if the cumulative team GPA increases by five-tenths over the
base team GPA. The base team GPA is recalculated each year based on the cumulative
GPAs of team members from the prior year.

Miller checks in with a 170-71 over all record (2 elite 8's and 1 sweet 16) @ Xavier and Zona. Big time recruiter and good coach. Despite his credentials I wouldn't want him at UConn either for my own personal reasons. I love 1 coach as the Calhoun replacement. It won't happen though.

JMHO...

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Blind Resume: via ESPN
"He epitomized leadership as a player in the NBA well over a Decade, played for half a dozen Hall of Fame coaches and we think that characteristic -- and many other positive traits -- will translate very well into his coaching duties with our young team," owner Joe Lacob said in a statement. "He was a leader and a winner both on and off the floor in this league and we're convinced that he is the right person to guide this team into the future and help us achieve the success that we are striving for as an organization." With No prior coaching experience the Warriors announce Mark Jackson as their new Head Coach. FYI-

Reaction Score

I think it's widely acknowledged that Blaney pretty much ducked up the Marquette game last year, which we lost. That said, I still feel more comfortable with him at the helm than the inexperienced Ollie.

Reaction Score
I , as well as many others am an Ollie supporter. That being said, Blaney is the man who needs to be in charge. It's all about right of passage and Ollie will get his shot when his time comes.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying I agree with Ollie being handed the coaching job, but how in the **** would you be able to determine whether or not he has those "undefined subjective attributes"? Based on his tweets and the 1-2 shots of him during games?

Just a ridiculous, uninformed post.
Because my thought process is based on factors and information a novice like yourself would not appreciate. Take it for what it is and move on.

No offense L. :D

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score

And exactly what has led you to these conclusions? Watching him sit on the bench? How can you judge an intangible when all you know about Ollie is that he does recruiting work and does practice with the guards?

Let's all be honest; Ollie has yet to prove anything; good or bad. His chance to prove one way or the other will come, but as most of us agree, it simply can't be now.

Reaction Score
Love KO, but it's just not about that. JC played HS, college, coached HS and then cut his teeth for a long time at Northeastern. Even though KO was NBA, he doesn't have any foundation of coaching experience and he would be moving onto the biggest stage. Couldn't like the guy, his work ethic or character more but what precedent is out there for this? What guy like him (no experience) got handed a team like ours and made it work?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Blaney is the man and also you have two other ex-HCs sitting between Blaney and KC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom