Illinois | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Illinois

Reaction Score
The 2011 season was probably the one that hurt the most. Lose 21-24 to Vandy. Lose 20-24 hole against Iowa State. Lose to Western Michigan and give up 38 points. Lose to Cincy, WVU, Pitt, and Louisville in conference. Remember the 2011 had: Andrew Adams, Geremy Davis, Dwayne Gratz, Ryan Griffin, Byron Jones, Sio Moore, Blidi wreh Wilson, Nick Williams, Trevardo Williams, Shemar Stephan, yawin Smallwood, Kendall Reyes and more.
The absolutely worst game was Senior Day against Cincinnati when UConn's players came out bundled up head to toe, the coaches likewise, and then threw a turd in the punch bowl while Cinci, who had come out dressed for summer, kicked their sorry butts. No bowl game for you guys!! HCPP spent the game staring at his feet with not a hint of motivation out of his mouth. It was at that point that I realized that he had no clue how to get a team up for a game and keep them playing all out for 60 minutes.

Reaction Score
You don’t think we beat Houston and likely Illinois with a few more accurate throws? What games were you watching?

I watched both from beginning to end. It’s just not that simple, nostical. You can’t just say “with just a few more accurate throws, we win those games and have 4 wins”. Couldn’t the opposite team say the exact same thing. What if Illinois fans said, if “if Brandon Peters doesn’t stare down a wide receiver and throw the ball right to Tyler Coyle, Illinois wins in convincing fashion. You can’t just assume wins for your teams based on “a few more accurate throws.” You have no idea how the game would have played out.

Reaction Score
The absolutely worst game was Senior Day against Cincinnati when UConn's players came out bundled up head to toe, the coaches likewise, and then threw a turd in the punch bowl while Cinci, who had come out dressed for summer, kicked their sorry butts. No bowl game for you guys!! HCPP spent the game staring at his feet with not a hint of motivation out of his mouth. It was at that point that I realized that he had no clue how to get a team up for a game and keep them playing all out for 60 minutes.
Actually I retract this statement. My recollection was from 2012 not 2011. Bob Arciero had just rebuilt my shoulder and I remember not being at 100% myself. And a check of the records reveals that the 2011 game was at Nippert. I think the point stands about HCPP however. Everything to play for and they come out flat.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It was also shortly after that game that Louisville was officially invited to the ACC. It was literally the death of UConn football.

Reaction Score
Actually I retract this statement. My recollection was from 2012 not 2011. Bob Arciero had just rebuilt my shoulder and I remember not being at 100% myself. And a check of the records reveals that the 2011 game was at Nippert. I think the point stands about HCPP however. Everything to play for and they come out flat.

I will never forget how happy PP looked after that final game loss to Cinci in the postgame interview. I hate that guy.

Reaction Score

Yes that was coming off a win against Teddy Bridgewater and Louisville.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Again the blame should land on Hathaway for the crappy hire of FHCPP. The only joy I had with his hiring was his firing when Warde was on the field wanting to talk to FHCPP and he walked the other way trying to avoid Warde who was going to fire him on the spot.

Reaction Score
You can’t just assume wins for your teams based on “a few more accurate throws.” You have no idea how the game would have played out.
Nothing is certain but some mistakes have a highly predictable nexus to the outcome (like when a defensive back drops a sure interception and the opponent’s offense scores on the next play for the win.)
Our QB’s inaccuracy cost us some highly probable TD’s. All I’m saying is that we’ve made more progress than the record would suggest. And a few more accurate throws could/would have made a difference. We may get another chance to test the theory on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Ah, so that is all UConn has to do!! Get a bunch of transfer players from USC. Wow, why didn't Edsall think of that? ;) ;)

2 things impact how this team would have 4 wins instead of 2.

one. Better QB play. Lots of years watching CFB, one kid can move the chains & change the nature of the outcome. I like Jack - I really do. And I hope he grows & develops; and we give him time to step up. Krajewski. Beaudry is a miss - which you’re gonna have. I’d name 5 QB misses since 2010 if you’d like. I feel Krajewski & Zergiotis can still develop.

two. AAC is far better than 5 years ago. Better at the top. Better at the top 50%. The suck programs 5 years ago were many & UConn was at their level (talent, experience, depth). The teams that kick our butt today are damn good. And the next level has comparative advantage on us. Indiana? Illinois? When scheduled, we may have thought we’d see a forlorn B1G. They are good this year. IU might be better than they’ve been since 1990. So ... there you have it. That’s the truth. And we improved since last year (of course - we were historically bad); however, just not good enough position after position.

by the way Wiseguy - USC kids aren’t coming to UCONN. Shoemate w Johnny McEntee was oddball. But the New World of transfers is an absolute must for a HC in 2019. Might be one of the biggest deficiencies/challenges for our OG.

Reaction Score
2 things impact how this team would have 4 wins instead of 2.

one. Better QB play. Lots of years watching CFB, one kid can move the chains & change the nature of the outcome. I like Jack - I really do. And I hope he grows & develops; and we give him time to step up. Krajewski. Beaudry is a miss - which you’re gonna have. I’d name 5 QB misses since 2010 if you’d like. I feel Krajewski & Zergiotis can still develop.

two. AAC is far better than 5 years ago. Better at the top. Better at the top 50%. The suck programs 5 years ago were many & UConn was at their level (talent, experience, depth). The teams that kick our butt today are damn good. And the next level has comparative advantage on us. Indiana? Illinois? When scheduled, we may have thought we’d see a forlorn B1G. They are good this year. IU might be better than they’ve been since 1990. So ... there you have it. That’s the truth. And we improved since last year (of course - we were historically bad); however, just not good enough position after position.

by the way Wiseguy - USC kids aren’t coming to UCONN. Shoemate w Johnny McEntee was oddball. But the New World of transfers is an absolute must for a HC in 2019. Might be one of the biggest deficiencies/challenges for our OG.
The new world of transfers being an absolute must, Randy needs to do better than dipping down into D2. No offense against Brown and Beaudry, but there is a big gap between USC and D2. Maybe more DJ Morgan types even if ND isn't USC as you say.

Reaction Score
Ardell Brown looks every part of a FBS WR. He just is fast enough & has great hands. I think he has been banged up ... but I don't think we should have any remorse on that pick.

DJ Morgan? Diamond Harrell? Art Thompkins? Dillon Harris? Good. I would say you need equally rigorous on this front as you are in Rising FR. You just need to be that way these days.

Reaction Score
I kinda think that was the point of my tongue in cheek post. We are in violent agreement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom