Illinois | The Boneyard

Illinois

Reaction Score
We have improved

the Illini game proved that too. Lovie, however, took 9 transfers - including 3 from USC. That’s the way you jumpstart lines & bring skills. Like the WR who leapt over Herring-Wilson. But beyond ... Illinois is better than Rutgers today. Slow improvement through all positions and boost with Transfers selectively.

I - frankly - think HCRE sees this as harder than 1.0 because the schedule is so much harder than 1999-2003. But, he’s grinding through almost the same mindset. My biggest problem is the schematically sluggish move to the modern CFB game.

Reaction Score
We have improved

the Illini game proved that too. Lovie, however, took 9 transfers - including 3 from USC. That’s the way you jumpstart lines & bring skills. Like the WR who leapt over Herring-Wilson. But beyond ... Illinois is better than Rutgers today. Slow improvement through all positions and boost with Transfers selectively.

QuIte - frankly - think HCRE sees this as harder than 1.0 because the schedule is so much harder than 1999-2003. But, he’s grinding through almost the same mindset. My biggest problem is the schematically sluggish move to the modern CFB game.
FIFY.

Also, I want to take the time to thank you for eliminating the random all caps words from your posts.

Reaction Score
OK, but let’s admit that if we had an accurate QB we’d likely have 4 wins and be asserting that we are indeed improving. I’m staying optimistic. One of these days a break will go our way. Keeping the faith!

I don’t believe that. I’m hopeful on Krajewski ... and I still think Zergiotis has more growth & talent. And then Senecal. But THIS TEAM ... all need to take a big step before we are a 4 win Program in this level of competition. And I do think College QB position is often consequentially key.

Reaction Score
As currently constructed I don’t know how anyone thinks we won’t still be terrible next year. The team is one of the 3 worst teams in FBS right now.

Unless we get 8-12 players by way of JUCO and grad transfers this is still a bottom ten team.

ok ok. Settle down.

Here’s what I learned watching College Sports for 50 years: It’s far better to have guys 2 to 5 years in the Program on the field than fresh faced 18 year olds.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
All year I’ve been saying we’re making “progress at glacial speed”.

I’m more patient than most. As long as the general trend is up, I’m happy.

Reaction Score
Lets just say by next year, what we play may in some circles be considered maybe, sort of, football.

Reaction Score
We have improved

I - frankly - think HCRE sees this as harder than 1.0 because the schedule is so much harder than 1999-2003. But, he’s grinding through almost the same mindset. My biggest problem is the schematically sluggish move to the modern CFB game.
Illinois has been patient with Smith. It has been a slow climb.

Reaction Score
Illinois has been patient with Smith. It has been a slow climb.
In that conference, and you've historically been at the bottom.. you might have to be a little more patient until you get things rolling..

Reaction Score
As currently constructed I don’t know how anyone thinks we won’t still be terrible next year. The team is one of the 3 worst teams in FBS right now.

Unless we get 8-12 players by way of JUCO and grad transfers this is still a bottom ten team.
We need 2 deep or 3 deep P5 transfers with talent like everyone else is chasing, not JUCO. RE needs to get with the change in football.

Reaction Score
OK, but let’s admit that if we had an accurate QB we’d likely have 4 wins and be asserting that we are indeed improving. I’m staying optimistic. One of these days a break will go our way. Keeping the faith!

LOL nostical out here just penciling in wins like it’s nothing.

Reaction Score
ok ok. Settle down.

Here’s what I learned watching College Sports for 50 years: It’s far better to have guys 2 to 5 years in the Program on the field than fresh faced 18 year olds.
Here is what I've learned watching College Sports for over 60 years. It is far better to have talented players than untalented players and it is far better to have a good head coach than an ungood head coach.

Reaction Score
Who gets the blame for missing a Jimmy Murphy? Didn’t meet Diaco’s size reqs?

Reaction Score
Look forward to the day when we're back to PP/GDL-level bad. That would be leaps & bounds better than this.

You are kidding ... aren't you?

Reaction Score
You are kidding ... aren't you?

Nope. But I'm not talking about how they helped destroy the program, I'm talking about the talent level of players we still had on the roster between 2011-13. We were bad, but not record-breakingly bad.

Reaction Score
The 2011 season was probably the one that hurt the most. Lose 21-24 to Vandy. Lose 20-24 hole against Iowa State. Lose to Western Michigan and give up 38 points. Lose to Cincy, WVU, Pitt, and Louisville in conference. Remember the 2011 had: Andrew Adams, Geremy Davis, Dwayne Gratz, Ryan Griffin, Byron Jones, Sio Moore, Blidi wreh Wilson, Nick Williams, Trevardo Williams, Shemar Stephan, yawin Smallwood, Kendall Reyes and more.

Reaction Score
ok ok. Settle down.

how long are we going to say that. We already have one thing going against us - horrible coaching. And I just don’t see talent taking a huge leap next year.

We still have a large jump to make just to be very bad. And there is nothing right now, absent getting several grad transfers, that tells me it will get significantly better.

Reaction Score
We have improved

Ah, so that is all UConn has to do!! Get a bunch of transfer players from USC. Wow, why didn't Edsall think of that? ;) ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom