Illinois Defensive Matchups | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Illinois Defensive Matchups

Reaction Score
They have little to no rim protection and Iowa State got to the bucket at will. Their guards were just small and struggled to finish.

Similarly, they're lazy at defense. They make aggressive attempts to jump the passing lane, but forcing them into a deliberate defense is exactly the sort of thing that will lead to defensive breakdowns and wear them down on offense.

Nothing against Underwood, but he ain't Pitino.
Iowa St was 11-25 on layups and dunks........and lost by 3 points. If we run our offense the way we have all season, we will have tons of open/easy looks.

Reaction Score
They have little to no rim protection and Iowa State got to the bucket at will. Their guards were just small and struggled to finish.

Similarly, they're lazy at defense. They make aggressive attempts to jump the passing lane, but forcing them into a deliberate defense is exactly the sort of thing that will lead to defensive breakdowns and wear them down on offense.

Nothing against Underwood, but he ain't Pitino.
It also sounds like they're not great at defending off-ball screens and backdoor cuts, which, well...

Reaction Score
I like the idea of putting Clingan on Rodgers so he can float towards the ball handler off ball. If Hawkins is capable of posting up Karaban consistently, move Clingan back over.

Dauster said this is the matchup he expects to start with. I believe they mentioned that Rodger’s hasn’t even attempted a 3. Apparently this is how Purdue utilized Edey.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They are going to try to outgun us. Just need to slow them down a little and not have a terrible shooting night. If we can defend to our ranking, they shouldn't be a problem but this is the best offensive team we've played other than Creighton.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Marquette. Hawkins and Oso have some similarities in being able to pull Clingan out. But Alex can also defend him on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
They were 115th Kenpom defense. They are down to 91. But they would have to play at a higher level to bring it down,

So, benefit of the doubt they having been playing recently like the #75 defense.

Northwestern was 50 and SDS was 11.

Reaction Score
Defense and rebounding wins this game, hold down Shannon. Our offense flows from that. Hurleys task is defensive intensity and I expect to see it, but if they make a lot of crazy stuff anything is possible.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
We oddly gave up a lot of ORB in that game. St. John’s had a great shooting night from 3. And they took 17 more shots then us in a pretty up and down game.
Weren't the Johnies an pretty good rebounding team? How does Marquette stack up?

Reaction Score
Seems like key is to make shots at normal clip to keep them out of transition. If shoot season avg of 49.6% and stay out of foul trouble will be tough for good guys to lose.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Weren't the Johnies an pretty good rebounding team? How does Marquette stack up?
Not sure why I wrote Marquette, meant Illinois obviously.

Reaction Score
Who is Illinois best win? They can compete well in their conference, but they are not next level and beat top teams. UConn should rout them by 15+.

Reaction Score
Defense and rebounding wins this game, hold down Shannon. Our offense flows from that. Hurleys task is defensive intensity and I expect to see it, but if they make a lot of crazy stuff anything is possible.
We have guards, that love to offensive rebound, and were especially effective last game of doing that. We also have seven or eight pieces that our coaches are comfortable playing as necessary for effective matchups.

Another plus factor is the rest that our players have gotten on the short turn around at home (Garden) games. That will work in our favor in a fast tempo game.

Reaction Score
My only concern (as usual) is foul trouble. If Clingan gets two quick ones we could struggle a bit to guard them. That being said I think we do a good job limiting Shannon with Castle and Diarra. Offensively we should have no trouble putting up points.
I think Samson may actually be better suited for this matchup defensively

Reaction Score
I think Samson may actually be better suited for this matchup defensively

I would agree because they are very similar size wise and he’s maybe more athletic. But there may be a lay up line with him in versus DC wandering the paint. 25 and 15 minutes will be ok.

Reaction Score
Not sure why I wrote Marquette, meant Illinois obviously.
17th in offensive rebounding, 64th in defensive rebounding. We're 12th and 79th, so pretty even

Reaction Score
Clingan is not going to guard Hawkins

Samson will guard Hawkins when he's in but Clingan will shift to their non-shooter. Probably means AK is going to have a tough scout for defense, but he's up to the task. I just watched their Purdue game and that's what the Boilermakers did to allow Edey to stay in the paint.

Reaction Score
So you're saying we have to score more, I concur

But a great scoring team always has a chance, they have to rain 3s

I'd rather be solid on both sides of the ball. Certainly going to be 1000% different than SD St
No sh#t!

Reaction Score
we also put up 95 pts on St Johns and their mid 50's rated defense versus Illinois mid 80's rated defense. Run our offense the way we've been running it and the open shots will be there to make
We need to make open shots. Im looking at you Karaban. Hes been hot cold all season and it seems lately hes been more cold. This worries me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom