If you win the $1.9B Billion Powerball what would you donate to UConn sports? | The Boneyard

If you win the $1.9B Billion Powerball what would you donate to UConn sports?

Reaction Score
If you win the $1.9B Billion Powerball what would you donate to UConn sports? Subsidize Jim Mora's higher salary? Pay for part of new football stadium on campus? Lacrosse team?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd buy tickets, even if I don't go. But I'd rather try to cure ALS or Alzheimer's than worry about how nice UConn's locker rooms and gym are. What would yarders do if they won?
  • I'd buy a house in Florida, maybe Amelia Island, before I claim it. Change official residence. That saves tens of millions in state income tax
  • Buy a nice house in North Falmouth
  • Buy 4 Patriots Club seats. Probably Revs too.
  • Under gift tax rules, put $20k per kid in 529 accounts for all my friends/family with kids
  • Quit my job and travel more often. Play lots of golf.
  • Pay off my sister's mortgage and car loan
  • Set up charitable trust/foundation

Reaction Score
After taxes, I guess that might be around 1 billion.

I'd give 50 million to the UConn athletics department, and a total of 50 million more for studies at a few select universities (maybe 50 mil divided between 2 schools), but Uconn would be one of them. 50 million more to a reputable cancer NGO, 100 million to my mother and tell her to do with THAT what she wants with herself or the rest of the family. 50 mil divided up among a few close friends, 100 mil to buy a few smaller ("small") houses and other properties to rent out. Invest another 50-100 mil in various things (diversify), and use 50 mil to travel lavishly for an extended amount of time until I hit about 125 countries (currently at 46).

I dunno, that's a lot of money, lol. Maybe take another 100 mil and invest in even more stuff and another 100 mil to invest in even more properties around the world and up and coming cities.

Reaction Score
I'd take the annuity. Something like $70 mil/yr.

Donate $300 mil ($10 mil/yr) to Springfield College, UConn, Tufts Medical School, and Bay State Medical Center, and my Voc High School (scholarships and start up money for those who stick with their trade).

The UConn money will go for naming rights for science buildings and scholarships in the name of my grad advisor, Stu Heywood, and Linda Strausbaugh, an incredible teacher. The rest for athletics.

That leaves me $20 mil/yr for fun.

I have a former coworker who hated me, and she hates dogs. I'll buy houses that surround her property, tear down the houses and put in dog parks. Maybe a shelter for stray pets.

Another former coworker wanted the school committee to send pregnant students to alternative schools. It was a crusade that lasted for years. I'll buy houses on her street and donate them as shelters for pregnant teens. Maybe build an alternative school.

I have a former neighbor who constantly complained about my house ("hideous solar panels"), my lawn, and the "dreadful color" of another neighbor's house. After 20 years, they moved a couple miles away just to get away. I plan to buy the house next to them, or across the street. Paint it pink, add solar panels, and plant that grass that is always brown.

I have a nephew who refused to pay rent, and refused to move out of a house I owned. I plan to give money to everyone in my family except him. He has a couple exes at this point. Neither ended well. I will give each money. I may buy the house he lives in just to evict him.

Worth noting: I'll give him the opportunity to double his salary as long as he has a full time stable job, and donates eight hours/wk to a shelter, soup kitchen, or whatever. I'm not a totally heartless Dick.

Bottom line, I've got plans. Trust me, I've got plans.
Reminder to self: don't piss off Tom.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I would reimburse Tom three x the $$$ he spent on the BY websites.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom