If you were AD | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If you were AD

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UConnDan - your approach certainly has some attraction, but I would go in a different direction. I don't like lame ducks. If this losing ugly $#!+ continues, then a mid season change might be necessary. I think keeping a "dead man walking" coach on board is the worst. In addition, we have precious little going for us other then men's BB. If it looks like we have begun to tolerate mediocrity or worse, then we will have yet another hurdle to overcome in any effort to get into a P-5 conference. DB needs to be prepared to move quickly IMO.

If there is no rational process to how an AD approaches his or her business, then don't expect to attract a top coach here. I'm not saying that Ollie must be afforded the opportunity to finish his contract; that is something that will be sorted out over the next few months or years. But if the process is not performed rationally, there aren't a lot of excellent coaches who want to work underneath a boss that is an emotional "hot head"...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If there is no rational process to how an AD approaches his or her business, then don't expect to attract a top coach here. I'm not saying that Ollie must be afforded the opportunity to finish his contract; that is something that will be sorted out over the next few months or years. But if the process is not performed rationally, there aren't a lot of excellent coaches who want to work underneath a boss that is an emotional "hot head"...
Well, at least they'll know what the expectations are when they take the job. They better be prepared to hit the ground running and then not get complacent.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well, at least they'll know what the expectations are when they take the job. They better be prepared to hit the ground running and then not get complacent.

Everybody in the country knows what the expectations are when they talk about UConn basketball. Throwing a coach out midseason to have his assistants finish the last 18 games without a replacement in hand while your rivals poach your lame duck recruiting class does nothing to change that. All it does is make it a harder job for the next candidate...

Reaction Score
Everybody in the country knows what the expectations are when they talk about UConn basketball. Throwing a coach out midseason to have his assistants finish the last 18 games without a replacement in hand while your rivals poach your lame duck recruiting class does nothing to change that. All it does is make it a harder job for the next candidate...
I actually agree. Firing a coach mid season usually doesn't do much good. It's not like you can announce a new, outside coach halfway through the season and have them take over everything. The only reason you do it is so you can start openly conducting interviews. I'm pretty sure you're not technically allowed to start contacting other coaches about the opening unless the spot is vacant. I could be wrong, though.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would rather go outside of the coaching circle for the next coach if Ollie is let go after the season. None of those names above bring a better result then we are seeing now.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I don't want any failed coaches to come here. The AD needs to hit a home run with this hire and we can't risk it on a guy who's failed in the past. The future of the program is at stake.

Reaction Score
I don't want any failed coaches to come here. The AD needs to hit a home run with this hire and we can't risk it on a guy who's failed in the past. The future of the program is at stake.

Every hire is a risk. If not big name who's gotten fired in the past, you get an assistant who you need to learn if they can handle the full job. Or you get a successful head coach at a lower level and you need to know if they can get it done at this level.

Everyone always wants the young guy moving up the ranks because you can always dream we just hired the next legendary coach, but you may also have hired the next Bob Diaco.

Everything should be on the table

Reaction Score
Looks like an 0-4 to me.

Do better or don't do it. To just fire him to get someone who can't take you to the level expected is ridiculous.
Agree, 100%. Hurley isn't coming, Donyell isn't ready, and the other two are a lateral move at best. If we are going the MAAC route, why not give Tim Cluess a chance. Atleast he wins.

Reaction Score
Would someone tell me what Tom Moore ever accomplished? He was fired from the only HC job he has on his resume.
I'm pretty sure @Brochacho was suggesting Hurley as HC and the other three guys as his staff. As for what Moore's done in that capacity... "won two national titles" jumps to mind.

I'd be very happy with the quartet listed, though I think an argument could be made for a young, hungry Boston- or NYC-bred recruiter in place of either Moore or Miller.

(It's a pipe dream to imagine Donyell would prefer to be an associate head coach at UConn rather than a full-on head coach somewhere else, but one I intend to keep alive)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I also think he has a bunch of yes men on his staff. Kevin Freeman is director of basketball operations. How does he still have a job? I'd love to know what his typical day is like.

Of course the poster who tried to convince me that Christian Foxen should be receiving regular rotation minutes after the Dec. '15 CCSU game is giving the DBO of a DI team crap. You can't make this place up.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I’m getting tired of hearing how Adams will be gone. We listened to this with Bazz, Boat and others. In what universe is Jalen Adams a good enough outside shooter? There are plenty of good college guards that will not play in the NBA that can actually shoot. Jalen should stick arund and take the 500-1000 shots per day that he didn’t take this last summer.

All that matters is how good of an outside shooter Adams thinks he is.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Also, one-time UConn commit Willie Jackson is a ton better than he was as a freshman. He's averaging 12/2/4 on 47/44/77 shooting splits. I'd forgotten that players are allowed to improve...

First two years:

2016-17 UGA 17.5 1.4-4.0 .356 0.8-2.2 .342 0.5-0.7 .708 1.2 1.1 0.2 0.4 1.2 0.8 4.1
2015-16 UGA 7.8 0.4-1.6 .283 0.3-1.0 .333 0.3-0.4 .750 0.6 0.6 0.2 0.4 0.8 0.6 1.6

He would've been torn to pieces by this board if he were on our roster during that period.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Since Stairmaster (who's been ignored for years) called me out for my post questioning Kevin Freeman's job performance and said that I had commented in the past that Foxen should have gotten serious minutes for the Huskies, I went back and checked. In December 2015, what I said was "Foxen isn't your ordinary walk-on. He'd start for lesser D1 programs." In a follow-up post I listed Fairfield, UMASS-LOWELL and sarcastically, BC as schools he could start at. I'm glad my posts from 2015 have such an impact on him but it also reminds me why Stainmaster is on ignore. Why let the truth get in the way of a bad post? Back to ignore and yes, I stand by my comment about Kevin Freeman.

Reaction Score
good thing your not the ad. And when you can't hire a coach or the coach you hire has the same results in 3 years? or 6 years?wins a NC and then has a losing record fire that one and try again?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Since Stairmaster (who's been ignored for years) called me out for my post questioning Kevin Freeman's job performance and said that I had commented in the past that Foxen should have gotten serious minutes for the Huskies, I went back and checked. In December 2015, what I said was "Foxen isn't your ordinary walk-on. He'd start for lesser D1 programs." In a follow-up post I listed Fairfield, UMASS-LOWELL and sarcastically, BC as schools he could start at. I'm glad my posts from 2015 have such an impact on him but it also reminds me why Stainmaster is on ignore. Why let the truth get in the way of a bad post? Back to ignore and yes, I stand by my comment about Kevin Freeman.

You still don't get that such an assertion proves you have no ability to evaluate talent on the basketball court. Out of all of the people here, you are probably the one with the least license to criticize Kevin Freeman.

Reaction Score
good thing your not the ad. And when you can't hire a coach or the coach you hire has the same results in 3 years? or 6 years?wins a NC and then has a losing record fire that one and try again?
yes, UConn won't be able to hire a coach. No one in the world will coach here. Ollie is the only option.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
You still don't get that such an assertion proves you have no ability to evaluate talent on the basketball court. Out of all of the people here, you are probably the one with the least license to criticize Kevin Freeman.
No, I get that you're a jackass and liar.

Reaction Score
No, I get that you're a jackass and liar.
You know what would really suck on this board? If we debated points of view without the bs name calling of players, coaches, and posters.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Since Stairmaster (who's been ignored for years) called me out for my post questioning Kevin Freeman's job performance ....., I stand by my comment about Kevin Freeman.

What specifically is he doing poorly? His job is a glorified administrative assistant. Zero to do with coaching. I mean, is he a poor scheduler of practice times?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I can already see the direction this is heading. Major change is needed. Get back into the Big East for basketball only(if they'll let us). Fire Ollie; hire a big name who can recruit and run a proper offense. Hire Jim Calhoun as a consultant.

Reaction Score
I can already see the direction this is heading. Major change is needed. Get back into the Big East for basketball only(if they'll let us). Fire Ollie; hire a big name who can recruit and run a proper offense. Hire Jim Calhoun as a consultant.

Let's see your list of "big name coaches" that we might have a shot at.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom