If you were AD | The Boneyard

If you were AD

Reaction Score
If you were AD

What's your plan for getting the MBB program back on track?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If you were AD

What's your plan for getting the MBB program back on track?

I'll say the unpopular opinion.

If I'm the AD, I evaluate the situation after the season is over, whereby the main criteria is "are we better positioned for success now than prior to the season?"

That considers the final record and any post-season performance. That considers recruiting and roster health. That considers development of players. And that also considers expert opinions (no, not ones from the Boneyard). I would be talking to Calhoun, for sure, and other people in the field.

And thankfully, I suspect that Dave Benedict will do all of those things and behave accordingly...

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Examine the last six years as a whole, Compare to other like teams and coaches, Evaluate player development, conference foes, recruiting and then look at internal and external sales etc.. numbers and perception don't lie.. my guess that's already being done and scenarios are being discussed internally. There's no way he's tipping his cap now, it's too early and is probably letting this play out. Like Football empty seats and non pledges tell him all he needs to know and if it will get better. I say as painful as it is now, watch and enjoy simply because you love UCONN. The rest will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
That’s why he gets paid the big bucks to figure this stuff out. Obviously we’re no experts but, if me, I would start by sending out “feelers” to see whose available and/or interested. I would canvass every avenue. But, I would probably wait to the end of the season to pull KO plug. At which time would have a heart to heart w/KO (possibly with JC at meeting for added leverage assuming he’s on board) and remind KO how unhappy he is these days and see if he’s maybe had enough himself and ready for change; with the end goal of proving KO a graceful exit while negotiating a lower buyout. Then, hire the best person interested in the job and if needed remind this candidate that Uconn will pay a Top 10 salary after couple years of performance.

Ps. I would also bring JC back at least in a more involved advisory/transitionaey role and meet with all of current roster and new recruits to do everything possible to limit attrition

Reaction Score

Outside of a scandal, give an example of a college coach who was relieved of their duties during the season for poor performance. It is just not done. KO gets at least until the end of the season to show some sort of progress. Everyone would like to stop the snowball, but firing him now screams panic, and there are buyouts, and kids who have committed to KO as coach, and if necessary, planning for finding a successor. By the way, if you get rid of KO now, those same players still will be offensively challenged, and that snowball won’t stop.

Reaction Score
I'll say the unpopular opinion.

If I'm the AD, I evaluate the situation after the season is over, whereby the main criteria is "are we better positioned for success now than prior to the season?"

That considers the final record and any post-season performance. That considers recruiting and roster health. That considers development of players. And that also considers expert opinions (no, not ones from the Boneyard). I would be talking to Calhoun, for sure, and other people in the field.

And thankfully, I suspect that Dave Benedict will do all of those things and behave accordingly...
There will be no post season performance to evaluate. Recruiting is abysmal. Player improvement is nonexistent. There is no chance these guys do much other than win lower and a few midtier conf. games. I just don't know where you're coming from on this. Nothing is going to change dramatically. It's time to for KO to go silently into the night. Chillious is the equivalent of a post-grad bandAide type hire. He's had zero impact and is another KO sycophant that needs to hit the bricks. I'd appoint Ricky Moore Interim HC and Kevin Freeman assistant HC, and start calling Kingston, RI.

Reaction Score
There will be no post season performance to evaluate. Recruiting is abysmal. Player improvement is nonexistent. There is no chance these guys do much other than win lower and a few midtier conf. games. I just don't know where you're coming from on this. Nothing is going to change dramatically. It's time to for KO to go silently into the night. Chillious is the equivalent of a post-grad bandAide type hire. He's had zero impact and is another KO sycophant that needs to hit the bricks. I'd appoint Ricky Moore Interim HC and Kevin Freeman assistant HC, and start calling Kingston, RI.

Player improvement is a major negative for me regarding KO.

I think Diarra, Carlton, Whaley, Cobb etc. all have a ton of potential.

I really do.

But, I do not trust KO or this coaching staff to develop them in any meaningful way.

For instance, I thought Brimah had potential, yet he was exactly the same player as a senior as he was as a freshman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom