If you were a recruit... | The Boneyard

If you were a recruit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If you were a recruit do you think you'd commit super early, like before official visits have even happened or after going on all your visits and what not? Do you think you'd give a verbal ahead of signing day or make it a big announcement on signing day and surprise everyone including your school of choice.

I personally think I would go on all the visits just to go on the visits. Or at least a few and then decide. I feel like that's such an exciting time I'd want to experience it but then again it might mess up my thought process. I'm sure an official visit to Stanford and Duke in the fall would seem a lot nicer than Ohio State or UConn (weather wise, I'm sure Uconn is a lovely campus)

Also, after a recruit commits can they still have an "official visit" with that school?

Reaction Score
Connecticut is actually beautiful in the fall with the foliage.

I'm bad at big decisions so I'd probably wait until the last minute. But if I were advising someone, I'd want them to do what's right for them -- some need to evaluate all the options, while others don't want to have a decision hanging over their heads for a long time; they want resolution. That said, I'd discourage any verbals before junior year.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
If you were a recruit do you think you'd commit super early, like before official visits have even happened or after going on all your visits and what not? Do you think you'd give a verbal ahead of signing day or make it a big announcement on signing day and surprise everyone including your school of choice.

I personally think I would go on all the visits just to go on the visits. Or at least a few and then decide. I feel like that's such an exciting time I'd want to experience it but then again it might mess up my thought process. I'm sure an official visit to Stanford and Duke in the fall would seem a lot nicer than Ohio State or UConn (weather wise, I'm sure Uconn is a lovely campus)

Also, after a recruit commits can they still have an "official visit" with that school?
Never being an elite athlete, I never had these difficult choices to make. Even applying to undergraduate schools, it was just Notre Dame (a family thing) and then a safety school in case Notre Dame refused me. My decision didn't seem like a choice to me, kind of like the non-decision I had about what to do after high school (duh --> college). If I were an elite athlete, it probably wouldn't have changed my choice. I'd commit early and forego the drama. But I would definitely take my official visit (yes, you get one even if you commit before you're allowed to take one.)

I grew up in Massachusetts and New England falls are amazing! What a great time to visit Storrs! Palo Alto and Durham have nothing on Storrs weather-wise in the fall. In fact Columbus is totally rocking during home football weekends, which is when tOSU would have WCBB recruits visit. Notre Dame prefers basketball recruits visit on a football weekends as well because they are tremendous fun. South Bend, Columbus and Storrs shine less brightly in the early spring, especially for southern recruits.

Reaction Score
Connecticut is actually beautiful in the fall with the foliage.

I'm bad at big decisions so I'd probably wait until the last minute. But if I were advising someone, I'd want them to do what's right for them -- some need to evaluate all the options, while others don't want to have a decision hanging over their heads for a long time; they want resolution. That said, I'd discourage any verbals before junior year.
I'd have to say it depends on who you are. There are many, many kids who after the barrage of flyers, texts and phone calls that seem endless, decide to commit earlier just to rid themselves of the pressure of recruiting. Others, seemingly don't consider it overtly bothersome and actually revel in the attention and the notoriety of their moment in the sun to complete the deed. It depends on your individual makeup and either way isn't a bad way as long as in the first instance, they haven't been too anxious and made a poor decision. There has to be a minimum of thoughtfulness and awareness put into your decision so committing in the 8th grade seems to be nothing but foolishness but the type student athlete UConn is pursuing have already had a great deal of exposure to the core schools that are recruiting them seriously.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm sure Storrs is beautiful. I've always loved New England autumns. Heck I've loved Columbus falls my whole life. But after spending four years in Savannah, GA a northern fall and winter can seem a little less appealing so that was more my thought process that a teenage girl might consider but I guess it depends on a the athlete.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Storrs is beautiful. I've always loved New England autumns. Heck I've loved Columbus falls my whole life. But after spending four years in Savannah, GA a northern fall and winter can seem a little less appealing so that was more my thought process that a teenage girl might consider but I guess it depends on a the athlete.

I'm not defending NE winter at all! But fall is great. And winter really isnt until Jan-Feb.

Reaction Score
I thought I'd make this more specific to the Uconn recruiting class of 2014. Finding out which school meets their highest criteria can be a difficult choice for skilled recruits with lots of choices. Certain athletes like Courtney Ekmark know way ahead of time that a school is the one for them. She verballed to Uconn in May, 2012. Sadie Edwards and Gabby Williams verballed in March 2013 after review of their options and visiting Uconn. Others like Kathryn Westbeld sift through her schools. She is reportedly down to 3 schools and seems likely to make her choice in the October/November time frame. Others like A'ja Wilson has stated, because of her busy international playing schedule, that she wants to wait to the spring to verbal after she has a chance to visit schools, select her finalists and finally verbal and sign with her selected team. The correct choice and process varies with the individual recruit. There is no single right way.

Reaction Score

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Did you add anything new? It is impossible to tell.

Reaction Score
If I was a recruit ,I would be concerned about the make -up of the coaching staff and the quality of the entire program.Considering all factors I would not hesitate to sign with UConn(Immediately).Feel the same about Coach Wooden,John McKay,John Thompson,or Bud Wilkinson.If one wanted me,I would sign and eliminate the others(no visits).

Reaction Score
If I were a recruit I would want to go someplace I could play. Championships are great but I would really hate riding the bench all the time. And if I got some trustworthy advice that a sport would not likely be a career path option, then I would definitely select a school that had outstanding academics.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
. I'm sure an official visit to Stanford and Duke in the fall would seem a lot nicer than Ohio State or UConn (weather wise, I'm sure Uconn is a lovely campus)

m?

I've been to New England once in my life, and it was in the fall.... and it was simply beautiful. Im sure Ohio State is beautiful in the fall as well.. Those places wouldnt have to take a backseat to Durham at all. Im not so sure about Stanford.... never heard anything about the Bay area being lovely in October.

Reaction Score
I think I'd want to stake a claim on my preferred starting position and maybe scare away some of the competition. I hope that's what Morgan Tuck did, but whether she ever thought of that consideration or not, she committed early and relieved many a UConn fan's concern about the 2012 recruiting class with an early verbal like she gave.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I would want to PLAY!!! If I were great, that is. As a scholar, I want to WRITE and learn stuff. So I can't imagine what it would be like to be great at something and not be able to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom