If you could only choose 1 current player to start your team, who would you choose? | The Boneyard

If you could only choose 1 current player to start your team, who would you choose?

You only get to pick one - who is it?

• Lou

• Napheesa

• Gabby

• Kia

• Azura

• Crystal

• Megan

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So let's say you have a team of no one and can choose only 1 current UCONN player, knowing that the rest will be selected by other teams. Who would you choose? And I'm not talking about potential - who might be even more elite in 3-5 years (like the WNBA draft), but who would you choose right now for your team?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I chose Megan because of her upside and her availability for three more years vs. one more year for Lou.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I’m picking Gabby.
Her defense, her rebounding, her passing and her ability to guard all 5 positions.
She may be a “tweener”, but I see that as a positive.
And I’m allowing myself to be a bit selfish because I just love watching her play. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is a very interesting question you're posing. When you say "your team", I'm going to assume you're talking about a college team as opposed to WNBA team. I'm also going to assume that all of these choices have the same amount of years of eligibility, and our choices reflect on a player's given skill set. If that's not the case, then our choices would to tend to lean towards the younger players.

With that said, Right now I'm choosing Gabby. Because she does so many things on the floor on both ends of the court. I like to think of her as a Swiss Army Knife. Gabby is also a natural leader. Her teammates will follow her lead. When Gabulous is completely healthy, she's the most exciting player on the floor, and almost impossible to stop or contain. She makes plays no one else can make.

You need a player like Lou who can fill it up from beyond the arc. You must have a PG like crystal who is quick, has handles, can stay in front of her man and can pass. A guard that can run things and get the ball to the right people, at the right moment, and who can also score if the play breaks down, and the shot clock is running out. Gabby is unique. You can find a guard or a wing player anywhere. Gabbys are harder to find. If you can find one, you grab her!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
AzurTouly! A tough and agile banger, I have size, width, and talent. What team can be built around that.

Reaction Score
I voted for Lou but I am shocked that Pheesa does not have any votes. She would be my #2. She might be #1 because she probably has the best overall ability / complete game when considering offense, defense, 3pt, rebounding, steals, blocks, etc,,, Obviously Gabby is there because her impact overall is also tremendous.

I was going to post an very unimportant stat about Lou in its own thread but will share here. Lou is currently #1 in 3pt %. She is the tallest player 6'3" on the list of top 50 and there is no one taller than 6'1".

Also Lou is #12 for assist to turnover ratio. Out of the current top 50 there are no other 6' or taller players. Everyone else is under 6 foot.

I have different question. Who would you pick if that ONE player would be multiplied x 5 to be your starting five? That puts a twist on things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My first thoughts were Lou or Gabby, but I went with Kia because she's really the team leader who sets the tone. She's the hardest worker, and can guide the others. She may not have the most talent (that's probably Lou or Gabby), but she's a vital piece to the team!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’d pick Gabby because of her all-over impact and energy, with Lou a close second.

Reaction Score
My first thoughts were Lou or Gabby, but I went with Kia because she's really the team leader who sets the tone. She's the hardest worker, and can guide the others. She may not have the most talent (that's probably Lou or Gabby), but she's a vital piece to the team!

Also, if Kia's on my team, none of my players ever have to be defended by her.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I'd go with Crystal - you need a ball handler, decision maker, distributor, game manager. She is all of these.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Normally, a choice of this sort depends on the need of the team (PG, BIG, etc.) and the future potential of a player, but the OP has explicitly ruled out such criteria to be used. Consequently, the choice becomes an absolute no brainer.

Since you have a current team of nobodies (the OP's stipulated baseline), you clearly would want someone with skill versatility. Who among the players on the UCONN team could give you elite level multi-dimensional offensive skills, elite level passing and ball handling skills, more than respectable defensive skills, and generally unselfish play to help the development of team mates?

There is no one other than KLS.

Reaction Score
for me it's 1a. Lou and 1b. Gabby. Lou is a devastating (to the opponent) player on offense and could average 30 points a game on a team that needs that. Gabby just does everything that a team needs in order to win on both defense and offense but the reason I choose Lou if I have to go with one is that Gabby is more limited in her offensive arsenal and as such is easier to defend if she is the focal point of the offense.

Reaction Score
A year ago I probably would have said Collier, but she just hasn't been the same player since MSU.

Gabby I might have considered if she had developed an outside shot. Despite her freak athleticism and impact on the defensive end, she's too one-dimensional on offense to build a team around.

The answer is Lou. Her game has evolved to the next level -- shooter, slasher, defense, rebounding, she does it all.

Reaction Score
Wow, it really depends upon the rest of my team. If I have a team that is already pretty good, with some size, I would go with Gabby for all that she could add. If I had a team that lacks scoring, especially outside scoring, I would go with Lou. Then I could also make the case for Danger or Kia if I needed a point or shooting guard. And Pheesa for those sneaky good moves... Yep, I want'em all!

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I voted for Lou but I am shocked that Pheesa does not have any votes. She would be my #2. She might be #1 because she probably has the best overall ability / complete game when considering offense, defense, 3pt, rebounding, steals, blocks, etc,,, Obviously Gabby is there because her impact overall is also tremendous.

I was going to post an very unimportant stat about Lou in its own thread but will share here. Lou is currently #1 in 3pt %. She is the tallest player 6'3" on the list of top 50 and there is no one taller than 6'1".

Also Lou is #12 for assist to turnover ratio. Out of the current top 50 there are no other 6' or taller players. Everyone else is under 6 foot.

I have different question. Who would you pick if that ONE player would be multiplied x 5 to be your starting five? That puts a twist on things.
Gabby x5??
Would x5 Lou even be able to score? I'm teasing. Of course they would. Would they?? lol

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Right now, Lou is the best player on the UCONN team. Hands down! I would bet if one the press pack asked Geno this question, he would say Lou. If Lou could take an early out and submit for the 2018 WNBA draft, she would be chosen before Gabby.

Reaction Score
Kia. My favorite player on the team but she also has one of the best work ethics I have seen. She is also the hardest player to play against. She can shut down anyone! If I need a mentor I can think of no better player to lead by example.

Reaction Score
Gabby x5??
Would x5 Lou even be able to score? I'm teasing. Of course they would. Would they?? lol
Lol... I would be tempted to pick 5 Gabbys but defenders (even 5 Lou's) can just pack the paint and dare all 5 Gabbys to shoot. Lous better not miss on offense because they would have a hard time rebounding too. Would be fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom