If you could have one more year from an underclassmen who left UConn early | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If you could have one more year from an underclassmen who left UConn early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I wonder how Bynum would have been if he ever showed up. He had committed but reneged for the NBA.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'd go with Charlie Villanueva. I'm glad we didn't end up with Bynum. The guy is a punk through and through and I wouldn't want him in a UConn uniform, regardless of his talent level.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'd go with Charlie Villanueva. I'm glad we didn't end up with Bynum. The guy is a punk through and through and I wouldn't want him in a UConn uniform, regardless of his talent level.

this, he would have probably affected our rep.

Reaction Score
It would've been interesting to see Calhoun handle Bynum. Maybe he would have been able to smack the punk right out of him? One year under Calhoun's tutelage just might have had enough of an impact on Bynum. Hopefully at least enough to not sport that abomination of a haircut.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It would've been interesting to see Calhoun handle Bynum. Maybe he would have been able to smack the punk right out of him? One year under Calhoun's tutelage just might have had enough of an impact on Bynum. Hopefully at least enough to not sport that abomination of a haircut.
Or he might have called the coach a mumu!

Reaction Score
To see him mature and dominate more, sure. But the team had no chance of winning anything so I don't think he can even be in the discussion IMHO. I would say Rip first, followed very closely by Donyell and Caron.

Reaction Score
I don't want to say superstars after a title like Kemba or Emeka, so how about Charlie Villanueva? He was big for that 04-05 team, and obviously in 05-06 we had an entire lineup of studs. Add one more experienced, upperclassmen stud, and we don't lose to George Mason. That team would have been loaded even more than it already was. Plus maybe Charlie develops into a more mature player that lived up to the lottery.
This is a good choice, especially since Charlie probably needed the extra year of development moreso than any of the other early entrants. That team would have been ridiculously deep and versatile up front with him.

Reaction Score
This is a good choice, especially since Charlie probably needed the extra year of development moreso than any of the other early entrants. That team would have been ridiculously deep and versatile up front with him.

I don't prefer to reference Vitale, but I remember clearly after the NC State loss that he devoted a few minutes to CV, urging him to come back as he was sure to be an AA and lead Uconn to the NC. It was similar to how he was hyping Uconn for the NC going into 03-04.

If we're talking about who would've given that team the best shot at a NC, I'd go with
#1 Caron (That team had great chemistry with and without Caron, but Caron would've been unstoppable).
#2 Donyell (The 94-95 team would've had two AAs. I think Donyell would've carried them over O'bannon and UCLA).
#3 Charlie (Charlie was beginning to dominate by the end of the year).
#4 Kemba (I don't put Kemba higher because I just don't want to touch 2011. That year was so magical and I'm not sure even Kemba would've been able to smooth over the seeming discontent on that team).
#5 Rip (The team wouldn't be the same without Moore and Jones. With Rip, they'd easily be a FF team, but MSU with Cleaves would've been a tough opponent without Moore).

If we're just talking about who would be dominant, I'd leave out Emeka, Ray, Donyell, Rip, Ben, Kemba, and Hasheem, since I think all of them really couldn't go much higher as they were AA. I'd also throw in MW and JL since it seemed like they had peaked wearing Uconn uniforms.

So, I'd go with Caron or Charlie.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't prefer to reference Vitale, but I remember clearly after the NC State loss that he devoted a few minutes to CV, urging him to come back as he was sure to be an AA and lead Uconn to the NC. It was similar to how he was hyping Uconn for the NC going into 03-04.

If we're talking about who would've given that team the best shot at a NC, I'd go with
#1 Caron (That team had great chemistry with and without Caron, but Caron would've been unstoppable).
#2 Donyell (The 94-95 team would've had two AAs. I think Donyell would've carried them over O'bannon and UCLA).
#3 Charlie (Charlie was beginning to dominate by the end of the year).
#4 Kemba (I don't put Kemba higher because I just don't want to touch 2011. That year was so magical and I'm not sure even Kemba would've been able to smooth over the seeming discontent on that team).
#5 Rip (The team wouldn't be the same without Moore and Jones. With Rip, they'd easily be a FF team, but MSU with Cleaves would've been a tough opponent without Moore).

If we're just talking about who would be dominant, I'd leave out Emeka, Ray, Donyell, Rip, Ben, Kemba, and Hasheem, since I think all of them really couldn't go much higher as they were AA. I'd also throw in MW and JL since it seemed like they had peaked wearing Uconn uniforms).

So, I'd go with Caron or Charlie.

i think he could've saved our year. he was such a great leader

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Ray. He would have been the odds on favorite for POY as a senior.

Reaction Score
I would like one more year of Caron. We had the other guys (minus AD and RG) for 3 years. Caron would have been awesome as a junior. That would have been a very good team. He was probably our best all-around player in the Calhoun era at the end of his soph season (IMHO).

I agree with this entire post. He never showed it in the pros because, quite frankly, he was a bit of a tweener that is too small to bang and not good enough on the perimeter.....but he was an incredible college player in every facet of the game. Oh, and he LOVED this school and this coach more than maybe anyone who ever put on a uni. The 2nd half against Maryland in the NCAA's might have been my favorite individual performance by a UConn player ever.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Ray. He would have been the odds on favorite for POY as a senior.

A UConn roster with both Allen and Hamilton (would've had it if Ray stayed for his sr year) would've been pretty impressive. We surely would've been more capable of handling the whole Kirk King/Ricky Moore/NCAA debacle.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I agree with this entire post. He never showed it in the pros because, quite frankly, he was a bit of a tweener that is too small to bang and not good enough on the perimeter.....

What? He had four straight All-Star caliber years and would have had more if he hadn't been ruined by injuries. Those Wizards teams went toe-to-toe with LeBron's Cavs before the Boston Big 3 took over the East:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/butleca01.html

If he'd been able to stay healthy, he'd have been a 6- or 7-time all-star and a borderline hall of famer.

Reaction Score
Kemba, hands down. Lineup would have been insane, but more so, his leadership skills would have brought that team together instead of becoming a disaster. We would have repeated if Kemba came back. Woulda been a fun UConn/UK game in the NC.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Kemba, hands down. Lineup would have been insane, but more so, his leadership skills would have brought that team together instead of becoming a disaster. We would have repeated if Kemba came back. Woulda been a fun UConn/UK game in the NC.

3 chips vs 3. that would be a helluva game.

Reaction Score
What? He had four straight All-Star caliber years and would have had more if he hadn't been ruined by injuries. Those Wizards teams went toe-to-toe with LeBron's Cavs before the Boston Big 3 took over the East:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/butleca01.html

If he'd been able to stay healthy, he'd have been a 6- or 7-time all-star and a borderline hall of famer.

I love the guy....but he's nowhere even close to a borderline HOFer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom