If you could have just one back -- Martin or Sanogo? | The Boneyard

If you could have just one back -- Martin or Sanogo?

Reaction Score
It was just Grambling, but to my eye UConn looked like a team that had been freed to show its identity. DH said as much in the post-game.

It was no accident that Whaley was the game MVP, no accident that Hawkins and Cole dominated the offense, no accident that UConn's mobile bigs, Whaley and Akok. rediscovered their offense and reappeared as shot-blocking forces on defense, It was a function, very probably, of the center space opening up. It was a case of finally giving of few key operatives room to operate.

Is this the team we want going forward? No question it's a team diametrically different from the Sanogo-oriented alternative. But is it better? I think yes, potentially.

There's one improvement it needs, and that will come with the return of Tyrese Martin. By the time Martin returns, Hawkins will be established at the 2, so Martin figures to take over the 3 from Jackson. That will be key. It will restore offense to the 3, improve defense at the 3, and even improve defensive rebounding at the 3. Jackson rebounds, yes, but his habit of turning it into a one-man fast break too often leads to a turnover. Martin knows enough to hand off and fill the lane.

Of course we wish a speedy return for both Martin and Sanogo. And we know when Sanogo returns, he will be our center, and that's that. But it would be interesting, if Martin returns first, to see just how good the alternative might get.

Reaction Score
If I can have one I’d take Martin. As much as IW does well at the 4, his best basketball by far was when he was playing 2/3 at the 5 and 1/3 at the 4 after Akok got hurt in 19-20. And while IW will not score as much as Sanogo does, he does a lot of other things better and allows a more balanced, flowing offense around him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Martin. Whaley isn’t the offensive threat Sanogo is, but his hedging is elite and interior defense is outstanding. And he seems to score more when playing center.

Reaction Score
The way it looks, we are getting Martin back first. I really think we miss him more than Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Before I answer, I need to know if Akok is going to produce in most games like he did yesterday.

Reaction Score
Martin. The offense flows better and everyone scores more. Unless he shows some vision and ability to pass out of a double team, I think we’re playing from behind more often than not with Sanogo once Big East play starts.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is interior defense against physical centers so I say Sanogo. If Whaley can’t handle Watson from PeeCee we may be in trouble.

Reaction Score
Martin. The offense flows better and everyone scores more. Unless he shows some vision and ability to pass out of a double team, I think we’re playing from behind more often than not with Sanogo once Big East play starts.
This is harsh, but I feel that way too. Sanogo is basically unguardable, yet everyone else seems better without him out there. Sanogo has other value though. He’s tough on the court and doesn’t take any crap from anyone. He’s also a very humble kid. It isn’t like you can’t teach him to pass out of a double team. He just knows that his baby hook is money and he’s super confident in it, so he wants to shoot. He needs to be taught that there is more to it than that. It isn’t just about him making shots, it’s about his ability to put the ball in the hoop opening up the floor for everyone else too. You can’t give up on Sanogo, he’s way too good to bench, but he needs to evolve.

Reaction Score
Martin. He impacts the game from multiple positions on the floor. Though he misses his share of bunnies, he has muscle under the basket, can be a relief valve against the press and can defend multiple positions. He can handle a bit too. He is a scorer too.

While not great, his 3 point shot still is better than Sanogo's and is an option when others are not open.

He reminds me a little bit of Dave DeBusschere from the Knicks of old with his all around hustle.

Having said all this, I would like both back ASAP. Sanogo's inside power and scoring help the team.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Sanogo is the second most important player (after Cole given our makeup) on the team and probably the best offensive center in the Big East. Ppl implying our offense is better without him based on us being able to pull away from Grambling need their heads checked.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is dominant scoring in the low post but I don't like how the entire offense is designed around him. You can't design your offense around a black hole. He's absolutely great scoring in the low block but when the ball goes into him it simply has to get kicked out sometimes. I hope this time he spends getting healthy they can finally instill in him how he needs to kick it out. It will benefit his game and the team so much.

Reaction Score
It was just Grambling, but to my eye UConn looked like a team that had been freed to show its identity. DH said as much in the post-game.

It was no accident that Whaley was the game MVP, no accident that Hawkins and Cole dominated the offense, no accident that UConn's mobile bigs, Whaley and Akok. rediscovered their offense and reappeared as shot-blocking forces on defense, It was a function, very probably, of the center space opening up. It was a case of finally giving of few key operatives room to operate.

Is this the team we want going forward? No question it's a team diametrically different from the Sanogo-oriented alternative. But is it better? I think yes, potentially.

There's one improvement it needs, and that will come with the return of Tyrese Martin. By the time Martin returns, Hawkins will be established at the 2, so Martin figures to take over the 3 from Jackson. That will be key. It will restore offense to the 3, improve defense at the 3, and even improve defensive rebounding at the 3. Jackson rebounds, yes, but his habit of turning it into a one-man fast break too often leads to a turnover. Martin knows enough to hand off and fill the lane.

Of course we wish a speedy return for both Martin and Sanogo. And we know when Sanogo returns, he will be our center, and that's that. But it would be interesting, if Martin returns first, to see just how good the alternative might get.
Would make for a great Poll Vote

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sanogo, we have more proven options on the wing. The black hole issue needs to be solved by the staff, it's their job. Whaley is the only other proven big.

Reaction Score

Martin, hands down. Don’t care about the stats, but his toughness brings a different dimension to this team.

Reaction Score
Short term-I'd take Martin back. The players need to move and maybe this stretch will get more option into the offense.

Long term-I like Sanogo. Think where he is at the beginning of this sophomore year. I know he already has the 'black hole' reputation, but the guys are standing and watching once they dump it down to him. He is starting to look up for guys. The next step is for him to be able to recognize where the double is coming from and making the the correct pass. However, guys have to move to the open spots and set some back-picks.

Reaction Score
Sanogo. I don't think it's so much a black hole/offensive system issue as much as the lack of offensive options early. By the time he's ready to be back Hawkins should be ready to be the 3rd option (he basically already is) and that'll help the offense a ton when Sanogo doesn't need to get the ball every time down the floor

Reaction Score
I’m not sure the right answer, but Martin has been fantastic.

Reaction Score
The fact that Martin is getting so many votes over a guy as good as Sanogo speaks volumes. Martin rebounds relentlessly and is better offensively than the Boneyard gives him credit for. He is the epitome of a Senior leader.

I hope we get them both back soon. Fortunately, that may happen.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Martin is a huge mismatch for his position. Sanogo is as close to a sure bucket as we have on the team. It's a close call, but I think we can cover for both a lot better than most think. Before this season we were wondering how we were going to replace Bouknight's scoring. Between, Cole, Polley, and Hawkins, we might just be there. If we get consistency from Jackson, Akok, and Gaffney, we'll be fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom