If you could do it over again … | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If you could do it over again …

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A personal pronoun agrees with the noun it replaces; your mom decided you didnt need financial aid?

If you did it all again, definitely more time studying grammar and less time studying booty.
They refers to WestConn

Reaction Score
Started my first 2 years at Sacred Heart U when it first opened (I'm kinda old) and transferred because high school was much harder. Last 2 years at UConn '71 were great. Met my wife there, she picked me up hitch hiking (that was her first mistake!). We haven't kept many friends long term probably due to the lack of social media, cell phone, computers and life. I don't regret a thing although we encouraged our 3 sons to go to smaller schools (Williams, Bowdoin, and Davidson). They all had a great experience as well as great educations.

Reaction Score
My dream was the Naval Academy but I was rejected due to astigmatism. Really bummed me out and my studies suffered in HS Senior year due to partying. I ended up at UConn Branch in West Hartford. This was mid-70s. My big regret was working too much at my part time job when I made it to Storrs. I visited Arizona State, Santa Cruz and other schools in my mid-20s and I wondered why I never went to one of those schools. However, I have no regrets as I still communicate with 3 of my dorm mates and hope to visit one of them in Vegas during March Madness in 2022.

Reaction Score
I wanted to go out West (UCLA, Colorado) or Boston, but after my dad died when I was 15, I basically torched my HS career, going from honor roll student on path for scholarships to drug-addled sociopath, lol. Thankfully I could still get it together for standardized tests, and my SATs saved my ass. Wanted to do journalism, Dayton took me, but I couldn't stand the Jesuit thing during orientation, so bailed out to the state safety school - UConn - where I could get into the Stamford Branch at the 11th hour. They'd pretty much take anyone back in the 70s. Hadn't given UConn an ounce of consideration before that. And they didn't offer journalism as a major so I had no clue what I was going to do when I got there.

I don't know how old you are, but I went there during the last couple of years when 18 was still legal age. Friday night mixers were quite the thing and to this day I don't know how there weren't more cars wrapped around trees on Scofieldtown Rd. after those things.

I spent my first two years at the Stamford branch, and I think that was beneficial overall. As a freshman up in Storrs, I would have been lost in those huge entry level classes. Plus...it allowed me to work and get my partying out in a more controlled environment...lol.

I fell on the right side of things for drinking. I went to UConn from 74-78, the drinking age went from 21 to 18 in 1972, then as you say, it started creeping up in the early 80s, to 19 in '82, then 20 in '83, and finally 21 in '85. Pretty much everyone at the Stamford Branch would've been 18 or 19, a few 20, so it would follow that mixers stopped being a thing when you were there as almost everyone was below drinking age.

When I was at Manchester Community College. (I would recommend it for your first two years), my Business Law class was held at the local bar. (No, not the one you have to pass to be a lawyer). He owned a bar on Hartford Road.

My PoliSci professor gave me a F, because I didn't vote for Jimmy. She kicked me out of class halfway through the semester. It was the lowest grade I got ever in school.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn was the perfect school for me. Good enough academically that I could get my career started and get into grad school with a UConn degree, but not so expensive that I felt that guilty blowing my mom's money partying, playing video games, and doing stupid stuff with my friends.

Reaction Score
Applied to UConn and Big 10 schools (except NW and Michigan). Chose UConn, but my 2nd choice was Indiana because I got into the Kelley School of Business which is a top 10 undergrad business school. I loved my time at UConn and since I grew up as a die hard UConn fan, I don't think I would change my decision. Career-wise, I probably took a minor hit not going to IU because of their investment banking program... but UConn got me into management consulting so I really cannot complain. I would like to see UConn's keep becoming more competitive though. We live in one of the wealthiest and smartest states in the US, UConn should one day strive to be in the same conversation as Michigan, UNC, the Cali schools, UVA, etc

Reaction Score
I came to UConn in 2004 with B.S. degree in hand so i knew the world a bit more than a world naive freshman... now, don't get me wrong. I was still naive. Sports was part of the profile even for grad school. Is that a lie? Sure, if I had applied and got accepted to Carnegie Mellon you guys can all chew my underbits. However. However, athletics and academic growth as a duel made me far more confident than my other options. In the end I think I did grad school searching wrong and I could have done differently for myself but given the information at the time I made the right bet. Do I do it differently? Maybe... but that's for other factors. Storrs was not the best place to be for a grad student who wanted separation from the normal students and wasn't all that fun for somebody who wanted to move "out" in the world beyond undergrad millieu. However, I took UConn as a school on the rise in general. So far I've been proven right despite the absolute nightmare the football program has become.

That being said, UConn has to stay in the big time football game if they want to be big time people. Name me the other flagship state university who isn't playing FBS with a strong and increasing research profile. Right, you can't. You have to be part of the game and while this is suffering this is the game.

We can reconsider this when the NCAA cracks up between the SEC+ faction and the blueblood faction (ACC/B10/PAC10) but not until then.

Reaction Score
As a Carnegie Mellon grad I’m thankful to have had all the underbits I could handle tyvm :eek:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I will say this, if UConn could do it all over; Avery Point, downtown Hartford, and Stamford would have all been better main campus locations.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I will say this, if UConn could do it all over; Avery Point, downtown Hartford, and Stamford would have all been better main campus locations.
Nah, not Stamford. Land is far too valuable there. And according to much of the state, it's not even Connecticut ;-)

However, anyplace that wasn't next to Mansfield would've been a better choice. I'm not familiar with a large flagship state U anywhere that didn't spawn an interesting town or two around it with international restaurants, interesting shops and whatnot. But UConn managed to do that. There should be a State College-type town in or next to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Nah, not Stamford. Land is far too valuable there. And according to much of the state, it's not even Connecticut ;-)

However, anyplace that wasn't next to Mansfield would've been a better choice. I'm not familiar with a large flagship state U anywhere that didn't spawn an interesting town or two around it with international restaurants, interesting shops and whatnot. But UConn managed to do that. There should be a State College-type town in or next to Storrs.
When the Storrs family donated the land, they didn't think Connecticut Agricultural College would grow into UConn. Mansfield is still trying to be a rural type town. If Connecticut ever put a highway to it, they would have a fit!!

Reaction Score
UConn was the only possibility for me and I was thrilled to be there. Memorial Stadium on Saturday afternoon, the Field House with Doug Melody leading the Huskies on the basketball court. The fun of the Northwest Quad (Does it still exist?) However, if I had a choice I would choose an Ivy League school. Although in my career, everyone was essentially equal, the Ivy League grads were always given an advantage even if they were not as qualified or interested in the demands of the job. They usually were able to talk themselves into "executive positions" so that they would not have to actually do the work. An Ivy league degree opens a lot of doors that are closed to others.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom