If you could choose.Cast Your Vote | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If you could choose.Cast Your Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ACC. I don't want us to be the BC of the B1G. We would have no rivals and would be completely isolated from the rest of the league.
If Rutgers was also accepted to the Big 10, you'd have both Snooki & PSU in easy driving distance. UConn wouldn't be left out on a island (metaphorically).

Reaction Score
I'd take the Big 10 in a heartbeat. Athletically I'd love Michigan Ohio State, Iowa, Penn state, Michigan State...at least some of them each year...wow...academically it has better opportunities. Bottom line is that the Big 10 is the most prestigious after the Ivy League. I'd prefer to be associated with them if I had a choice.

Reaction Score
ACC. Not against Big 10 - that would be second best option. The Geographically Challenged (Big 12/BE rememants) Conference would be a very unsatisfactory third choice. No disrespect meant to any of those programs but it makes little sense and lacks the glamour of the other 4 conferences. Chances are there would be defections at the first opportunity. So why put together something that is only a stop gap measure.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised there is any discussion on this. ACC. By a large margin.

That having been said, if the Big Ten offers we accept it with no hesitation at all.

Reaction Score
Longer term, the B1G. It would strongly solidify UConn's football program and our hoops have the opportunity to be among the top in the Conference. Also, culturally, as cited above, I have always thought UConn shares many characteristics with the large state flagship universities of the Midwest. Whatever, if I am Herbst, I just might hire Lew Perkins as a top paid consultant for the next year to help figure this mess out!

Reaction Score
ACC. Rivalries, travel etc. You think we have problems getting fans to road games now? Wait until we head out to Nebraska or Wisconsin in Nov-Dec. After the novelty wears off I'll bet there aren't too many takers. Sports other than basketball all fare better in the warmer climates as well. And we keep most of the hoops rivalries too. From an athletic standpoint the ACC has a clear edge. On the other hand those same FB teams will put fannies in our stadium, hopefully our fans if we can elevate to that level.

Reaction Score
If I'm headed to away games, let them be south of Connecticut. Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana,Minnesota,really?

Reaction Score
If I'm headed to away games, let them be south of Connecticut. Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana,Minnesota,really?

Miles to Storrs CT from random cities in the USA.

Maryland 386
Chapel Hill 645
Atlanta 1,035
Miami 1,416

Penn State 364
Columbus OH 687
Ann Arbor 740
Omaha 1,368

Reaction Score
Miles to Storrs CT from random cities in the USA.

Maryland 386
Chapel Hill 645
Atlanta 1,035
Miami 1,416

Penn State 364
Columbus OH 687
Ann Arbor 740
Omaha 1,368

You forgot a few; Miles from Storrs to:
Boston 87
Snookieville 205
Syracuse 297
Pitsburgh 514

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
B1G and it isn't even close. Imagine a football season where OSU or Michigan and Nebraska or PSU were on our schedule? That would happen every year if we landed in the B1G.

Reaction Score
ACC, don't want to see all our road games on at 9PM, or later due to overtime of an ACC game. Many of our home games could also get pushed back to 9PM due to the networks not wanting to air those games at 5PM central time.

ACC

Reaction Score
ACC

Then the Big 12, Big East, Boise, Houston, TCU hybrid idea.

B1G is probably not an option for us. If I thought it was, it might make me reconsider.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten is much better than the ACC. If the Big 10 adds Rutgers and UCONN, Syracuse and BC will be the ones who feel left behind (how sweet would that be?). That said, I would take the first offer that comes my way.

Reaction Score
I'd say ACC, but I'm biased since I have relatives that live close to many of the southern ACC teams for possible road trips. And I always enjoy going to the Miami Beach area.

Reaction Score
Currently, the best fit for all of our programs is the ACC. We can be competitive in football and have a shot at the BCS, whereas we'd be grossly overmatched in the B1G. At the same token, both of our basketball programs would continue to flourish in undoubtedly the best conference in the nation, whereas we'd be thrust into a very mediocre B1G basketball conference that would be a distant second or third behind the ACC, and also would likely decrease the amount of TV exposure due to the amount of ACC bball games ESPN will televise. We'd be joining five or six other current/recent Big East members, so the connections and rivalries would be there and we wouldn't be an outsider, as we would in the B1G. Travel would also be far easier for our fans.

Both would be miles and miles better than some Big East remnants/Big 12 rejects/C-USA clowns hybrid mess that would be another ticking time bomb.

Reaction Score
Currently, the best fit for all of our programs is the ACC. We can be competitive in football and have a shot at the BCS, whereas we'd be grossly overmatched in the B1G. At the same token, both of our basketball programs would continue to flourish in undoubtedly the best conference in the nation, whereas we'd be thrust into a very mediocre B1G basketball conference that would be a distant second or third behind the ACC, and also would likely decrease the amount of TV exposure due to the amount of ACC bball games ESPN will televise. We'd be joining five or six other current/recent Big East members, so the connections and rivalries would be there and we wouldn't be an outsider, as we would in the B1G. Travel would also be far easier for our fans.

I don't understand the "grossly overmatched" part. while the Big Ten has more historic names, if you look at computer rankings over the past five years there is not a huge difference between the Big Ten and the ACC (or, frankly, between either of them and the current Big East).

Both would be miles and miles better than some Big East remnants/Big 12 rejects/C-USA clowns hybrid mess that would be another ticking time bomb.

Reaction Score
ACC...totally selfish as I live in NC and am 15 min from NC State, 35 min from Duke, 45 min from UNC, 75 min from Wake Forest....

Reaction Score
ACC. Living in ACC country (Charlotte) and having UConn in the conference would give my water cooler conversations some relevance. I can only get so much mileage out of our bowl win against South Carolina. For some reason my Gamecock co-workers insist on calling themselves either "Carolina" (sorry, there's only one and it is North) or "USC" (again, only one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom